British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bringing tools to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bringing-tools-nz-739310/)

hoover23 Nov 18th 2011 10:19 am

Bringing tools to NZ

Can any one tell me what the deal is about bringing tools to NZ? Im talking about carpentry / Joinery tools.
Air and gas powered nail guns
Saws
drills etc.
Thanks

florabundi Nov 18th 2011 11:06 am

Re: Bringing tools to NZ

Hi, my hubby is taking loads of mechanic tools and equipment. We were told my the removal people that everything has to be spotless and preferably smelling strongly of jeyes fluid! Not allowed to bring anything that may explode or leak nasty stuff! Your removal people should be able to have look in your workshop and give good advice. Good luck with the move :D

Stormer999 Nov 18th 2011 11:24 am

I will be packing all of my workshop/power/carpenters tools all clean and sprayed with a mixture of Virkon S.

MrsFychan Nov 18th 2011 11:29 am

oohh no not more stuff to clean :ohmy::(

hoover23 Nov 18th 2011 2:18 pm

Stormer whats Virkon S? Is it recommended. Also what shipping companies are people using? I reckon i can get all my stuff onto a boxed in pallet.
I assume theres no 110 volt tools used on NZ construction sites. So sell all those over here.

Stormer999 Nov 18th 2011 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by hoover23 (Post 9740511)
Stormer whats Virkon S? Is it recommended. Also what shipping companies are people using? I reckon i can get all my stuff onto a boxed in pallet.
I assume theres no 110 volt tools used on NZ construction sites. So sell all those over here.

Virkon S is an approved disinfectant....wifey is a microbiologist! and is easy to dilute and use. Why presume 110V tools are no good? H&S guidelines apply to NZ as well....;)

concretepump Nov 18th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by hoover23 (Post 9740511)

no need to sell them they use 110v in nz

hoover23 Nov 18th 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks guys, most of my work in the UK has been on 110 volt sites, so i have a lot of 110 volt stuff. Now i just have to work out how to get all onto the pallet!

hoover23 Nov 18th 2011 5:36 pm

Paslode nail guns / Senco nail guns. Parts and nails available over there? Im having problems finding this sort of info on line.
Thanks

sirplug Nov 18th 2011 7:39 pm

Bought all my tools and garage equipment over. Just made sure they were wiped clean, nothing over the top and all packed in 2 big tool boxes. MAF weren't interested in them. Just make sure the carpentry tools are free of old wood dust, debris and oils. If you've got a compressor, fire it up and blow all the dust off everything. It should then be OK. Any doubts or questions, contact MAF, here and ask them directly. Most shipping companies I had questioned, gave false advise, through not knowing the rules, themselves.

sirplug Nov 18th 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by hoover23 (Post 9740896)
Paslode nail guns / Senco nail guns. Parts and nails available over there? Im having problems finding this sort of info on line.
Thanks

http://www.paslode.co.nz/contact.cfm

http://www.wireplus.co.nz/categories...jdn-gun-nails/

hoover23 Nov 18th 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks everyone. Did,nt really want to sell all the 110 volt stuff (You never get what it,s really worth) And sirplug thanks for the links.

SparkyGaz Nov 19th 2011 6:23 am

Maint tech me and I brought oodles of hand tools and power tools, just make sure no oil or grease on them MAF weren't interested in them at all, or my snap on tool chests......now Xmas trees and golf clubs, thats a whole different ball game !!!

hoover23 Nov 19th 2011 7:48 am

who did you use to ship them over? Im not going to need much space proberbly 1 or 2 boxed in pallets

shades Nov 19th 2011 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by SparkyGaz (Post 9741726)
Maint tech me and I brought oodles of hand tools and power tools, just make sure no oil or grease on them MAF weren't interested in them at all, or my snap on tool chests......now Xmas trees and golf clubs, thats a whole different ball game !!!

Is there a problem with bringing over golf clubs & bags?
I've got 2 sets to bring over & I've given them a good clean & was thinking they would be ok, don't really want to have to buy more new stuff.