Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing stuff and sterilisation

Bringing stuff and sterilisation

Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing stuff and sterilisation

Just remembered to ask about this.

Someone posted a while back that they might not be able to bring their gardening tools because the sterilisation requirements made it cheaper to buy new.

This made me wonder what people brought with them and what they had to leave behind.

I have a load of DIY tools which I would want to bring including drills, saws etc. (hmmm...hammers, axes, chain saw...) and wondered if the dividing line was use in an agricultural setting (farm, smallholding, allotment) or if woodworking tools might be considered a risk.

I have read that the cleaning regime for cars is quite stringent (but then, driving on country roads etc.).
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:07 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing stuff and sterilisation

they are strict on garden and wooden stuff so you will have to make sure all is clean from rust, grass. The removal company will give you more guidance. your will need to bleach them all and make sure they smell like they have been bleached. Think we were advised to use Vikron S.
as for the car we had ours cleaned inside and out, left photo's in the car of the process being done as well as the companies docket for work done and receipt. we did this a day before car going on the container and gave it a spray down just before it went on against anything that climbed on it during the night.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We pressure sprayed all our gardening stuff and then soaked it in Jeyes Fluid. Advised customs that this was what we had done and never had any problems. Just wiped down saws etc so that they had nothing adhering to them and again no problems.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Jeyes Fluid and a good scrubbing.
We brought in all our garden tools and my husbands extensive range of trade tools. No problem and no MAf fee for fumigation this end.

Just make a list of what you feel MAF might be interested in and mark which box if possible. Helps them to help you.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Jeyes fluid is your friend.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

I bought everything, power sprayed all bigger implements - chainsaw, hedgetrimmer, lawnmower then they got hit with Virkon and a tadge of WD40. Earlier advice to try to consolidate this kit to limit the number of boxes needing opening by MAF is good. It isn't cheaper to buy new

Despite all this my lawnmower had a few spiders and had to be 'fumigated' by MAF ($110).
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Sunnyferns15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it best to use Jeyes fluid on cleaning garden tools, only I have some but they may be a bit rusty as well? Is there anything we can use to get the rust off?
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Jeyes fluid and a wire brush for rust. We took all my husbands trade tools! We used one of the little handheld steamers to clean the lawn mower but I agree with an earlier post that if it smells clean MAY leave it alone.....
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

gaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nice

I agree with the Jeyes fluid approach - loads of garden tools and bikes brought over with no problem. A good scrub to get evidence of grass/dirt away should do it. Golf clubs and golf bags were cleaned and hovered inside the pockets to get everything clean. Had a MAF 'well done' when we had our boxes inspected.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all the tools, Jeyes fluid cleaned them and some we gave a new coat of Hammerite paint - spade, lump hammer type things. Brought kayaks and bikes over too, no problem with MAF at all.