Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing Paint in the Container

Bringing Paint in the Container

Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of
Default Bringing Paint in the Container

Please could someone clarify if you are allowd to bring in the container(well wrapped of course)

Having read how expensive paint is in NZ i got several cans of unopened emulsion. Crown say it can go in the container, PSS say it cant. Did anyone bring any paint with them?

Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bringing Paint in the Container

We put un-opened cans in our container. Kiwis say the paint isnt as good for sun fade etc.. we brought a huge tub of white Dulux with us and have used it with really good results... much prefer it to the paint here.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:08 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We too bought some, so long as they aren't opened ones you should be ok.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick333
Please could someone clarify if you are allowd to bring in the container(well wrapped of course)

Having read how expensive paint is in NZ i got several cans of unopened emulsion. Crown say it can go in the container, PSS say it cant. Did anyone bring any paint with them?

Thanks
PSS told me that too. Obviously their advice re paint is as bad as the UK pack up they did for my antique clocks.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

We brought lots of paint for my friend and ourselves. Crown were not happy at first but we taped all the lids round the edges,then put each tin in a rubble sack and taped that;then the tins were put in plastic containers with lids which were,you guessed it taped totally shut round all the edges.all arrived intact.

Phyl x
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

BRING IT.......... Paint is so expensive here.

Bring some and bring some more is my advice.

Gill
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Bring some artex as well as textured paint is astronomically expensive...
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup. Bring it all and bring some for me.

Bring unopened tins of paint. I like those pale colours.

Gloss doesn't do so well here coz of the sun but emulsion or a bit of silk finish. AAhhh ! them woz the days, Bring it all.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:56 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

As i read the title of this thread I thought "Why would you??"

Anyway, it seems I was wrong!

Surely it's cheaper to pay over here once you add the shipping cost no??

Am not blonde, just asking
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

NNoo.

If you have it & it is untouched, use it. Don't chuck it. Anything other that white is $$ here. Fill that gaps in the container with paint, pillows, sheets, duvets, linen, cheap crockery, books and more books,. computer stuff , allsorts. Stuff the container.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

dkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud ofdkb_herts has much to be proud of

Artex? ARTEX??? FGS don't bring that over - it looks tacky, it's impossible to keep clean, it screams out at the top of its lungs that it's trying to cover up a botched job some half-wit couldn't get right. Dump it in the skip, preferably with said half-wit.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dkb_herts
Artex? ARTEX??? FGS don't bring that over - it looks tacky, it's impossible to keep clean, it screams out at the top of its lungs that it's trying to cover up a botched job some half-wit couldn't get right. Dump it in the skip, preferably with said half-wit.
Didn't realise Paint was such an emotive subject lol Thanks for the replys, off to B& Q to look at their paint section lol
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Hmm thanks for this post. I had thought of bringing paint with me, then decided it definatley wouldn't be allowed !!
I'm also off to B&Q to stock up
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:26 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I agree with all the frustrations at the cost of paint here, I am really not sure how you would go on in the event of a paint can leaking. I am pretty sure that NO insurance company would cover you and equally would not pay for the damage you could do to other peoples stuff in the case of a shared container or it leaking through the container.

Remember that these containers mostly go on deck and through some of the roughest seas there are. In extreme cases containers are lost over board or even ditched if the safety of the ship is at risk....damage to containers themselves is not uncommon (tip: when the contianer arrives at your house for packing....go inside and get them to shut the doors....if you can see daylight )

Personally for the savings involved.....I wouldn't risk it..

....on another topic.....how would you know what colours to pick? Doesn't that depend on the house, location, light......
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:32 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking on getting OH to open a shop n import british paint...

no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.