Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

bringing out an elderly parent

bringing out an elderly parent

Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:40 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default bringing out an elderly parent

long story, so I'll give you the end bit.

We're moving to a new house/location. Ever since we came here we suggested that the o/h's mam might want to come here to live with us (). (her being on her own back home etc).

Anyway when we said we are moving she brought it up and it's now on the cards.

Question. Obviously we have to become citizens first but has anyone else here brought out a relative and what was it like (to do - not living with them)
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: bringing out an elderly relative

Okays. Let's see if we can help you understand this process a little.

I'll start.

First - You don't need to be citizens . You need to have held a residents class visa for the past 3 years - which you have.

Someone correct this if the length of time has increased , although that will not apply to Sparky.

2nd - There have been changes to the parent sponsorship visas very recently.
I'd like you to read THIS and then come back to the thread with your thoughts.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Jaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant future

Just had a look at the parent category changes and cannot believe they are going to ask someone's elderly parent from the UK to take an English Language Test! Surely that should just apply to non-English speaking countries?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 10:14 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

The biggest change to the process as I see it is the removal of the old "centre of gravity" as they used to call it. That being if more of your family are in the UK than NZ then it was a non starter.
I think its a positive move by NZIS which will help families stay together.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Okays. Let's see if we can help you understand this process a little.

I'll start.

First - You don't need to be citizens . You need to have held a residents class visa for the past 3 years - which you have.

Someone correct this if the length of time has increased , although that will not apply to Sparky.

2nd - There have been changes to the parent sponsorship visas very recently.
I'd like you to read THIS and then come back to the thread with your thoughts.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
I think its a positive move by NZIS which will help families stay together.
Unless you have a sibling or adult child then it rips the family apart.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 5:56 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bev for the link, both helpful and confusing! can anyone explain the two tier system? Does one have perference over the other?

Also, has anyone done this, I mean brought over an elderly rellie? The website suggests it could be as long as 24 months after you're EOI has been processed.

Not being funny here but the word elderly and 24 months come on guys!

Last question for now. What sort of medical do they have to do?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:15 am
`

Yes. One tier would seem to get preference over the other.

An old thread.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:49 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing out an elderly parent

I think you may have to be consistently living in nz for 5 years before eligible to apply for citizenship .....
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:03 am
`

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I think you may have to be consistently living in nz for 5 years before eligible to apply for citizenship .....
Yes. But I don't think citizenship is required to sponsor a parent.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:33 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from immigration website today (with reference to the new tier system):

Requirements for both tiers

To help them settle in New Zealand, all applicants must meet a minimum standard of English (meet at least two competencies of International English Language Testing System Level 4 if they are not able to demonstrate it through other means such as time spent in an English-speaking country) or pre-pay English language tuition, and
Applicants in either Tier One or Tier Two must not have any dependent children.
There will be no change to the requirement for sponsors to be either New Zealand citizens or residents for three years.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:35 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

also...

My father is currently going through the process (although got his application in just before the date things shut down) and had to complete the same medical process as anyone applying for residency.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

A lot of Kiwis felt the system was being abused. Elderly parents coming in from third world countries, no source of income, no English - straight onto benefits.

One Indian chap my gf worked with got residency, brought Mum and Dad in, they brought another son in, the sons returned to India to get married and brought wives in. I don't think that could happen under the new rules?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:15 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackCrossInResidence
A lot of Kiwis felt the system was being abused. Elderly parents coming in from third world countries, no source of income, no English - straight onto benefits.

One Indian chap my gf worked with got residency, brought Mum and Dad in, they brought another son in, the sons returned to India to get married and brought wives in. I don't think that could happen under the new rules?
<polite cough>

So was your issue that they were Indian? because you don't mention whether they were working or not, and in my experience people from India work hard here.

I think folk with NZ citizenship or PR will always have an avenue to bring in their spouses, and rightly so.