British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bringing our Cat :confused: (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bringing-our-cat-confused-727824/)

Rachelb82 Aug 8th 2011 7:47 am

Bringing our Cat :confused:

Hello

Can i just ask if anyone else brought their Cat over, how stressful it was for them and how the Cat was once arrived in NZ.

We are seriously contemplating bringing my little baby with us depending on health check results from Vet. :unsure:

I am just concerned about how stressful it is for them and how they settled once in NZ.

Our cat is approx 8 years old.

florabundi Aug 8th 2011 8:00 am

Re: Bringing our Cat :confused:

Haven't made the move yet but we are planning to bring our cat too. He has so far been microchipped, rabies vaccinated and blood tested. My hubby is now calling him the billion dollar cat! Our cat is 11 we think but we can't bear to leave him behind. Good luck.:)

DandJMay Aug 8th 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Rachelb82 (Post 9544224)
Hello

Can i just ask if anyone else brought their Cat over, how stressful it was for them and how the Cat was once arrived in NZ.

We are seriously contemplating bringing my little baby with us depending on health check results from Vet. :unsure:

I am just concerned about how stressful it is for them and how they settled once in NZ.

Hi

Our little man, little as in 7 years old, has been in NZ for about one month :D. He trots off the plane looking like he travelled first class, I arrived to pick him looking like I hadn't slept in 4 days (mainly because I hadn't:huh:).

There is a thread about the changes to MAF so I suggest you look that up. There are also a number of threads about this very subject on the forum.

I suppose it really depends on the animal, our Oskie is beyond chilled but others had a few problems with their cats, but hey look you know your puddy tat.:)

But for me and Oskie so far so good, he eats well, he does go outside but not to far, he has settled down very well. I think he is a little sad but that's because my husband isn't here and Oskie just loves Darren.

Bearing in mind Oskie flew into Auckland then had to travel down to Invercargill my wee man did ok. I can honestly say I was stressed to the sky and back simply because I feel the communication from the company we used was sh... not very good!!:thumbdown:

Have a look on the forum there is tons of good advice

Jo & Oskie :wub:

martyc Aug 8th 2011 10:26 am

I havn't brought a cat over but will be.

I think from reading previous threads that the owners worry FAR more than the cat who will probably step off the plane having enjoyed a really good sleep.

BEVS Aug 8th 2011 9:57 pm

The cat will snooze it.

We brought out both our cats.:wub:
They were 9 and 7 at the time. Both perfectly fine . No signs of any sort of stress at all.

maisiep Aug 9th 2011 1:58 am

We brought both our cats. I was very stressed about it before we left, they got picked up and taken to the kennels at Heathrow the day before we flew. they stayed there two days and then arrived in NZ the day after us. I think we were probably more stressed than they were about the whole thing to be honest. When they got here they were absolutely fine and I think now if we took them back to the urban life they had in the UK, they'd hate it!!

We used Airpets and they were really nice and reassuring. If you're worried about your cat stressing you could buy some of that calming spray for cats, it's called Feliway and you spray it in their travel box about 15 minutes before they leave. Alternatively, I believe some people use Rescue Remedy for pets that are anxious about travelling.

good luck!

nukiwi Aug 9th 2011 2:43 am

We brought our two cats over too and it was like they'd just had a cat nap :D Not stressed at all. When we brought them over nearly 3 yrs ago they were 3 and 11. No problems at all. :thumbsup:

BEVS Aug 9th 2011 4:52 am

Originally Posted by maisiep (Post 9546148)
When they got here they were absolutely fine and I think now if we took them back to the urban life they had in the UK, they'd hate it!!

I've thought the same. Our two cats have had a glorious life here since arriving.

old dragon Aug 9th 2011 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Rachelb82 (Post 9544224)
Hello

Ours came with us, they were 11 at the time. They were fine and they helped the children to settle in more quickly. The only time I regret it is when Fatso stomps over the bed in the middle of the night and sits on the bedside table knocking husbands keys/change/phone etc on the floor - just to make sure we're well and truly awake at 4am:sneaky:

Rachelb82 Aug 10th 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by old dragon (Post 9547130)
Ours came with us, they were 11 at the time. They were fine and they helped the children to settle in more quickly. The only time I regret it is when Fatso stomps over the bed in the middle of the night and sits on the bedside table knocking husbands keys/change/phone etc on the floor - just to make sure we're well and truly awake at 4am:sneaky:

Ha ha, I just love cats, they are so inconsiderate and selfish at times :wub: