Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

bringing my motor-bike to NZ and hidden costs

bringing my motor-bike to NZ and hidden costs

Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

tonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the rough
Cool bringing my motor-bike to NZ and hidden costs

Hi to all, i am looking at getting my Yamaha R6 sent to NEW ZEALAND when we move over. The cost my end is approx £500 but what charges am i likely to incurr in nz as regards registration and import duty taxes ect. Its a 2005 model worth approx £4000, any help appreciated cheers
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:47 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing my motor-bike to NZ and hidden costs

I'll get back to you on this mate, but bring it.....more to follow.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:09 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Check this post.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...5&postcount=10
Kiwibiker is a minefield of information, and then a good social link when you get here.
Use it, abuse it, then coma and have a run and a beer bro.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I've just brought mine in a couple of months ago.
the bill so far is
12.5% duty on the combined value of the bike and the cost of shipping it to nz.
If you can produce a reciept saying you bought it for £1000 then they will
take that as the value.
however if you insure it for shipping purposes at say £4000 then thats the value they will take.
you might need new brake pads and tyres if the ones fitted do not have the correct
number on them reguardless of the condition they are in
you will need a brake compliance test when it gets here= 50 bucks.
you then have to get it a full compliance test done as it will be the first time its been
tested in nz and registered. this will run out at approx $500 to $600.
Bring it anyway as a replacement over here will be silly money.
One point to remember. some couriers say they wont deliver the bike to your house and you
will have to go to their depot to collect it.
I insisted they delivered mine as the uk agent said door to door delivery.
If you want any new gear bring that with you aswell, they dont have the choice down
here that we were used to in the uk and prices are generally higher.
where are you planning on settling?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

tonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: bringing my motor-bike to NZ and hidden costs

Originally Posted by colandros
I've just brought mine in a couple of months ago.
the bill so far is
12.5% duty on the combined value of the bike and the cost of shipping it to nz.
If you can produce a reciept saying you bought it for £1000 then they will
take that as the value.
however if you insure it for shipping purposes at say £4000 then thats the value they will take.
you might need new brake pads and tyres if the ones fitted do not have the correct
number on them reguardless of the condition they are in
you will need a brake compliance test when it gets here= 50 bucks.
you then have to get it a full compliance test done as it will be the first time its been
tested in nz and registered. this will run out at approx $500 to $600.
Bring it anyway as a replacement over here will be silly money.
One point to remember. some couriers say they wont deliver the bike to your house and you
will have to go to their depot to collect it.
I insisted they delivered mine as the uk agent said door to door delivery.
If you want any new gear bring that with you aswell, they dont have the choice down
here that we were used to in the uk and prices are generally higher.
where are you planning on settling?
looking at settling in Nelson on the south island thanks for info, everything on the bike is as new as only done 3000 mile in fact its mint its a limited edition
r46- r6
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

But most Jap bikes are slightly cheaper here (as long as there's not too old!) so I guess it's how much value it has for you personally.

Guy I know just bought a '06 R6 with 5,000 kms on the clock for under $10k - have a look on TradeMe to look at some of the dealer prices.

Matt