Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing DIY tools to NZ

Bringing DIY tools to NZ

Old Mar 16th 2020, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing DIY tools to NZ

This is a long way in the future, assuming that we get our EOI picked, get our applications approved, and survive Covid-19.
Also assuming that the virus is not blocking air travel next November onward.

I will be reorganising my DIY tools, currently accumulated on the "he who dies with the most tools wins" strategy.
Most of them would come in useful should we ever get to buy/build a house.
However some are very well used and many years old.

Do they all have to be spotless and rust free before being allowed in?

Has anyone recent experience of bringing the contents of a modest home workshop with them?
Old Mar 19th 2020, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing DIY tools to NZ

Pretty much yes you'll need to clean them to within an inch of their life. No rust or plant/animal material. Just give em a good scrub, dry them then spray with disinfectant and wrap up.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 1:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bringing DIY tools to NZ

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
This is a long way in the future, assuming that we get our EOI picked, get our applications approved, and survive Covid-19.
Also assuming that the virus is not blocking air travel next November onward.

I will be reorganising my DIY tools, currently accumulated on the "he who dies with the most tools wins" strategy.
Most of them would come in useful should we ever get to buy/build a house.
However some are very well used and many years old.

Do they all have to be spotless and rust free before being allowed in?

Has anyone recent experience of bringing the contents of a modest home workshop with them?
My husband and I brought out all our home diy tools and his trade tools ( plumber/gasfitter) . I gave them a scrub with the old Jeyes fluid and the like.

I also made sure I listed them as probably items of interest for MaF. All went through fine. The container wasn't even inspected let alone fumigated and/or items removed and destroyed.

Much will depend on who inspects on the day. Make it easy for them makes it easy for you.