Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing Cats to NZ

Bringing Cats to NZ

Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Question Bringing Cats to NZ

Hi all.

Before you complain I have done a search on the forums for this!

Firstly, first post! Welcome to me

I am going to be emmigrating to NZ soon as my owner's redundancy period almost up and he is going over shortly after.

I am a little concerned though, as when he goes over he is not taking me or my brother (Marmalade) with him
He does love me and is planning to have me taken over, but only after he is settled. He plans to travel around alot initally you see and dosn't want me or my brother upset as we will be stuck in a car all the time.

He does have a cattery lined up and has been looking into costs from people like Jets4Pets and the like for flying us over.

I am concerned however as I don't like new people and don't want to go through several sets of catteries or bording places prior to my departure. I am also aware that certain vets checks and injections/pills are needed prior to travel (Worming, rabies etc) were mentioned. My nice vet can't look after me for a few months prior to departure so in order for me not to get too upset, can the pet transport companies look after me & my brother for the 3 or 4 months prior to transport (I read about 30 days quarantine prior to departure) and do all the required checks and injections to make sure that I am legit to transport and all that?

Thanks, Gizmo.

Gizmo is my strange little cat if you havn't twigged! Couldn't resisit! He CAN type as he is polydactal (Has extra fingers & toes). Sooooo cute!

BTW does anybody know of any breeds of cat banned in New Zealand? I did a search on the NZ Goverment website and couldn't find anything.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:16 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Cats to NZ

Hi & welcome again!

Gizmo needs to talk to the lovely Angela (of Angelaandjim ..members of this forum) I know she is planning her Ragdoll cats emigration and will be able to help you,....sure she will be along later (I know she checks in everyday....bit of an addict like me)
B x
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Hi all.

Before you complain I have done a search on the forums for this!

Firstly, first post! Welcome to me

I am going to be emmigrating to NZ soon as my owner's redundancy period almost up and he is going over shortly after.

I am a little concerned though, as when he goes over he is not taking me or my brother (Marmalade) with him
He does love me and is planning to have me taken over, but only after he is settled. He plans to travel around alot initally you see and dosn't want me or my brother upset as we will be stuck in a car all the time.

He does have a cattery lined up and has been looking into costs from people like Jets4Pets and the like for flying us over.

I am concerned however as I don't like new people and don't want to go through several sets of catteries or bording places prior to my departure. I am also aware that certain vets checks and injections/pills are needed prior to travel (Worming, rabies etc) were mentioned. My nice vet can't look after me for a few months prior to departure so in order for me not to get too upset, can the pet transport companies look after me & my brother for the 3 or 4 months prior to transport (I read about 30 days quarantine prior to departure) and do all the required checks and injections to make sure that I am legit to transport and all that?

Thanks, Gizmo.

Gizmo is my strange little cat if you havn't twigged! Couldn't resisit! He CAN type as he is polydactal (Has extra fingers & toes). Sooooo cute!

BTW does anybody know of any breeds of cat banned in New Zealand? I did a search on the NZ Goverment website and couldn't find anything.
hi welcome we took our two cats over to tauranga in jan 07, there is no quarantine in newzealand, when they land you can pick them up from the airport, its only when you come back to uk there is quarantine, if you know where you are going to end up , could you not put them in a cattery there, took over a month to get all the tests done in uk, then we sent them on the next day flight so we could get a car for the three hour drive to tauranga hope this helps
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

hi Gizmo n marmalade

Am planning on bringing my 2 moggies with me. Am intending on using Golden Arrow Shipping in Shropshire - they were recommended by my vets and also by others. They say that they will 'house' my two until I am ready to receive them so to speak. They have a vet that will do all the tests etc as many vets may not be totally familiar with the paperwork. I liked them and their location, but that is a personal choice.

Happy surfing

Cheers

HH
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Hi HHBop. Yes, I spoke to my vet on the way home and he told me to ignore EVERYTHING on the NZ Goverment Website and ask DEFRA (UK) what to do even if they were not returning to the UK.

Something about the UK Goverment interperating the NZ Goverment rules..... Didn't follow it.

Concretepump - I did think of that but since I don't know where I am going to end up..... I don't want the boys to fly till I know where they will end up as one trip would be less stressful than two.

I may end up asking jets4pets or the like what to do. My main problem being what to do when I leave the UK!!! Various options I know, just unsure as to all of them at the moment.

Does anybody know if a pet transport company does a cattery-style service? ie House them till I wish for them to travel?

Thanks
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Hi HHBop. Yes, I spoke to my vet on the way home and he told me to ignore EVERYTHING on the NZ Goverment Website and ask DEFRA (UK) what to do even if they were not returning to the UK.

Something about the UK Goverment interperating the NZ Goverment rules..... Didn't follow it.

Concretepump - I did think of that but since I don't know where I am going to end up..... I don't want the boys to fly till I know where they will end up as one trip would be less stressful than two.

I may end up asking jets4pets or the like what to do. My main problem being what to do when I leave the UK!!! Various options I know, just unsure as to all of them at the moment.

Does anybody know if a pet transport company does a cattery-style service? ie House them till I wish for them to travel?

Thanks
hi
we used airpets near heathrow,looking at there web site think they might be able to look after them for you untill you want them
address airpets willowslea kennals spout lane north
stanwell moor staines middlesex

e-mail [email protected] free phone 0800 0185571

ring or e-mail and see if they can help, i would recommend them any time thought they were very good, hope all this helps as we will hopefully be sending ours back with us next year
Old Sep 28th 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

I would ask Golden Arrow in Shropshire. They do board pets before shipping and know all of the requirements for MAF in New Zealand. I can honestly say my vet hadn't a clue as they don't do it often enough to be expert in exporting pets. HTH