Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing cat into NZ

Bringing cat into NZ

Old Sep 24th 2016, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

arthurfowler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing cat into NZ

Has anyone shipped a cat from the UK to NZ? I know there is a thread from about 5 years ago, but it doesn't have any rough prices on what people have paid.

I have done some googling which has left me a bit confused and seen prices from 1,000 to 3,500 pounds!

Anyone brought a cat over in the last few years and how much was it/how long did it take?

Thank you!
Old Sep 24th 2016, 10:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing cat into NZ

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ations-839845/

this may help
Old Sep 25th 2016, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, I missed that post
Old Sep 26th 2016, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Cryoslider is an unknown quantity at this point

We are shipping our cat over next march when we emigrate, got a quote from Golden Arrow for approx. £1100 , they sound very good and have some very good reviews / feedback.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Cryso, did they advise you how much the quarantine etc would cost when back in nz? I saw somewhere that it's about 1,800!!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

It cost $1600 for everything for a dog in Oct last year, shouldn't be that much for a cat.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

I'm seeing extremely varying prices. I would do anything under 2,000NZD but prices so far have ranged between 2,000-3,000GBP and that is an expense I could not afford
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arthurfowler
I'm seeing extremely varying prices. I would do anything under 2,000NZD but prices so far have ranged between 2,000-3,000GBP and that is an expense I could not afford
The $1600 is for the NZ end, the UK transport charge etc will be circa £2.5k (for a dog).
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kotare
The $1600 is for the NZ end, the UK transport charge etc will be circa £2.5k (for a dog).
Ah I see thanks
Old Sep 28th 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

We've just had rabies vaccinations redone on our two cats as we're still in the UK. Costs hadn't changed that much from last thread. You do have to wait six months after titre test comes back OK before you can ship them over.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I've had four cats poisoned and killed with antifreeze in the last ten years of living in NZ. There's some complete nutters out there that hate cats and because it's seen as ok to kill ferals it seems to give the lunatics the idea that that means killing any cat they can find and they don't give a damn that it's part of someones family. I wouldn't bring a cat to NZ knowing that unless you plan on keeping it indoors for it's own safety really. The police are no help and now I have another sick cat so it's obviously one of my neighbours and I have a pretty good idea which one but there's absolutely no way I can prove it.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Some New Zealanders are rabidly anti cat because of the damage they do to native bird life (this includes domestic ones). We live in a kiwi conservation area and any cats have a short life expectancy - I think the local conservation group trapped (and killed) over over 300 'feral' cats last year.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Some New Zealanders are rabidly anti cat because of the damage they do to native bird life (this includes domestic ones). We live in a kiwi conservation area and any cats have a short life expectancy - I think the local conservation group trapped (and killed) over over 300 'feral' cats last year.
I live out in the wops surrounded by dairy farms that probably do a lot worse for the environment than a cat.
We have a ten acre block with a 2000+ mature pine plantation on it and since we've been here the bird life has grown ten fold because of the maturing trees. I'm now hearing bird calls from birds I've never heard before so as our trees get bigger they get more attractive to a new variety of birds. But whom ever is poisoning my cats has only got their mind obviously fixated on the fact that feral cats are a pest and they must kill kill kill them and they don't care that our poor family pets are dying agonisingly long deaths.
You know I could almost forgive it if it was rat poison my pets were being poisoned with, as folk put that down to kill the rodents and a cat may come across a dying rodent and eat it but my vet has told me my cats are being poisoned with antifreeze which is evil.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

My three year old loved seeing the bunnies on the lawn until recently there were no more. I was talking to my neighbour the other day and he said his cat was bringing back a dead rabbit nearly every day. Cats that are allowed to roam free killing indiscriminately are a bloody menace, and whilst I don't agree with poisoning them I do deplore their bloody owners that think it OK for their pets to go where they like and do what they like. I've also had enough of scraping their vile shit off my son's gummies as they crap where they want too!
Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SSky
I've had four cats poisoned and killed with antifreeze in the last ten years of living in NZ.
I'm shocked and disgusted. If a neighbour has an issue with you keeping a pet cat then they should speak to you about that. After all, perhaps you might have an issue with a dog not kept on a leash.

Some New Zealanders are rabid anti-cat but think it perfectly fine to let a dog off a leash & roam as 'their' dog would never harm anything. Its just being friendly. Yeah! Right!

I would hope that no pet dogs are allowed in that area also, unless trained DOC sniffer dogs.

Here is what DOC have to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.