British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bring our computer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bring-our-computer-718989/)

florabundi May 30th 2011 8:40 pm

Bring our computer?

:)I'm sure this question has been asked before but just need a bit of reassurance before I spend our pennies! Our computer is on it's last legs and we need to replace it. If I buy a new one, will it work in NZ? I.T is NOT my strong point:blink:

Wessa May 30th 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Bring our computer?

I brought my laptop over 8 weeks ago and it went bang the day after i got here!.. I picked up a pretty good laptop over here for $699. It was from a place called Noel leamings in a sale which these places always have..

So id say bring yours as you have nothing to lose, it will work here but if you need to upgrade to a new one, they are not really if anymore expensive than at home. ;) Hope that helps.

Am Loolah May 30th 2011 9:08 pm

Yes, absolutely, but your warranty may not be valid. My Philips laptop was invalid for repairs simply because they couldn't supply them. Which was irritating to say the least. When I purchased it the salesman at PC World was adament there wouldn't be any problems with the warranty. I gave up after hours on the phone from NZ trying to sort it out and just took it to an independent repairers here who managed to fix the problem, although at my cost.

florabundi May 30th 2011 9:20 pm

:thumbsup:Thank you!

rick78 May 30th 2011 10:27 pm

Definitely buy a new one... I just replaced an aging laptop and desktop with a kick-ass laptop for 260GBP! granted it was on special... but it should last a few years (as long as it doesnt break eh!).

florabundi May 31st 2011 9:47 am

:thumbsup:Thanks rick, we will go ahead and get a new one ~ can't be without a computer right now for all the research on the move and hearing all the news on BE!

thedtb May 31st 2011 10:27 am

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9399439)
:thumbsup:Thanks rick, we will go ahead and get a new one ~ can't be without a computer right now for all the research on the move and hearing all the news on BE!

If you're still in the UK and are contemplating buying new IT equipment, absolutely buy it over there but make sure it's not visibly "newly purchased" when you bring it across. E.g. bring it across in it's new packaging with the invoice attached to it and you're likely to be hit for GST (NZ's VAT).

I just purchased an external NAS device in the UK and had it shipped to NZ. In NZ they're circa $1000+ (roughly £500) I paid £260 for it in the UK and even with the £76 cost of shipping it to NZ I'm still quids in.

Generally speaking, in my experience, there's less choice here and what you do have to choose from (in my experience) is more expensive than back in the UK.

This isn't a critiscm by the way, but if you have the option of buying before you leave the UK I'd do so every time.

Though as pointed out, it may leave you short in terms of a warranty should anything go wrong... and then of course, the choice of where to take it if something does go wrong will be more limited and more expensive than you'd find back in the UK.

Life is like a box of circles.... :-)

mrlinxman Jun 1st 2011 4:40 am

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9398179)
:)I'm sure this question has been asked before but just need a bit of reassurance before I spend our pennies! Our computer is on it's last legs and we need to replace it. If I buy a new one, will it work in NZ? I.T is NOT my strong point:blink:

When we came over in Dec 2007 I brought over a Sony Vaio that is still just about going but planned to buy one of those really cute tiny Sony Vaios from the USA as we were flying via LA. The problem that we encountered was like many people with the warranty or rather lack of. Sony would only give a year and it was useless outside of the USA so I went to the dark side and bought a top of the range Apple Macbook Pro and paid for their 3 year AppleCare warranty which is a world wide warranty and works just fine in NZ if you buy in USA or wherever as far as I am aware.

What a fantastic idea that turned out to be as after 2 1/2 years strange things started happening which required a couple of visits to Magnum Mac in Wellington (pronunced Mignum Mick by the locals btw!! ;-) It had a logic board that needed replacing (motherboard in PC speak) another time the power chord frayed so I got a new power adaptor and to top things off the DVD drive crapped out as well. All covered by the warranty that has now run out. FIngers crossed my 75% new Macbook Pro is still going strong and will hopefully do so for a while to come.

I have never been an advocate of warranties that all shops want to sell you on everything these days as I know that most of them are just a commission based rip off for the consumer but I have to say that now having benefitted to the tune of $$$$ I would ALWAYS recommend getting a warranty with a laptop as by it's very nature more costly and fragile as well being more roughly treated than most things.

Hope this helps and welcome to NZ when you come. I am UK born and bred with my NZ wife convincing me to come over here and I can honestly say that looking out from my 7th floor window (OK 6 floors as they use the US system of 1 being ground floor) over Wellington harbour at Soames Island where I can see the ferries coming and going to the South Island I have nothing to complain about. Life is what you make of it and barring missing Real Tennis No not the type Andy Murray plays but the game that lawn tennis came from hundreds of years ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk3d5Tl_2mY) I don't miss anything else.

muddyboots Jun 2nd 2011 12:48 pm

What ever you do bring every thing you own and get on the container but make sure it is clean, they charge the earth for cleaning, dont think well its old i will get a new one in NZ ITS EXPENSIVE HERE. No its not a joke bring what you own dont throw any thing or give away you need it or can sell it here.

florabundi Jun 3rd 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for help:D New computer is ordered! I will take note of all the advice and bring as much stuff as we can fit in the container. This in itself is a worry as hubby bringing an old VW Golf which he won't part with & 3 (?!) motorbikes. Then there is the contents of all the sheds and his workshop! I will probably be coming with hand luggage only at this rate:rofl:

muddyboots Jun 3rd 2011 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9407613)
Thanks for help:D New computer is ordered! I will take note of all the advice and bring as much stuff as we can fit in the container. This in itself is a worry as hubby bringing an old VW Golf which he won't part with & 3 (?!) motorbikes. Then there is the contents of all the sheds and his workshop! I will probably be coming with hand luggage only at this rate:rofl:

If you are bringing an a car get busy and look underneath and any and I mean any rust rub it down paint the whole underside with hammer paint and paint it good, if any rust is spotted by the people that are going to do your vin it will not get through and will b e sent off for repairs sand blasted or new panels IE floor. They found a few little blisters on my Jeeps chassis and they said it would need new front end and total sand basted, well it was sand blasted and that cost me $2000 and after said it was ok not a problem just surface rust, ok that cost me $2000 and the list goes on, just do the work at home hide any problems with smoke and mirrors if you have to, be warned :thumbup: and dont bother servicing it they will change the brake pads and discs no matter how new.

cappuccino Jun 7th 2011 4:04 am

I purchased a Sony Vaio on my stop over on my way to my new life in NZ (2007) - paid a little bit extra and got the international warranty. The beauty of this machine was that it came with all the plugs for different countries. I recently purchased a new Sony Vaio from JB Hi Fi in Wellington and even though it was on sale, managed to haggle them down to an acceptable price (after doing all my research to know the comparable cost overseas). This also came with all the different plugs - not sure if that is just a Sony thing...

If you need the laptop whilst you are still in the UK - buy one, otherwise wait till you get here and haggle like crazy :rofl:

Dustybin Jun 7th 2011 7:20 am

only if it runs on steam, or has the little mouse wheel attachment...:blink: