British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   To Bring Or To Buy Over There (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bring-buy-over-there-404958/)

Maz1 Oct 29th 2006 12:04 pm

To Bring Or To Buy Over There

To Bring Or To Buy Over There I will be coming over pretty soon now and I am just wondering! We are going into rented accommodation for about 8 months (furnished), but we are leaving our washing machine here. Is it cheaper to buy another one before we come and ship it with the rest of our stuff or to buy over there. Also we have got one of them American fridge freezers (not the one with ice maker) will it work there or not. I've heard the fridge part will work but not the freezer part. Is it worth buying the kids bikes over there or here? :confused:

Boopy Oct 29th 2006 5:29 pm

Re: To Bring Or To Buy Over There

Originally Posted by Maz1
To Bring Or To Buy Over There I will be coming over pretty soon now and I am just wondering! We are going into rented accommodation for about 8 months (furnished), but we are leaving our washing machine here. Is it cheaper to buy another one before we come and ship it with the rest of our stuff or to buy over there. Also we have got one of them American fridge freezers (not the one with ice maker) will it work there or not. I've heard the fridge part will work but not the freezer part. Is it worth buying the kids bikes over there or here? :confused:

Bring it all. We also hada big american style fridge and freezer, both work fine with adaptors. TV's, dvd players etc, all work fine. We are so pleased we brought everything that wasn't fitted. We didn't bring a washer, cos it needed replacing, but wished we'd bought a new one. The tend to use top loaders here, front loaders are more expensive ($1,000 - $1,300). Just bring loads of adaptors and extension plugs. Bedding is also expensive.

Gill and Rob Oct 29th 2006 5:35 pm

We have just paid $1200 for a new front loader. I think we paid £199 for the last one. They do a lot of top loaders here but we have had reports they are rough on your clothes. Even the guy in the shop said that. BRING EVERYTHING. Remember the cost of container space is not based on weight it is based on volume. The shippers are good at filling wardrobes and drawers etc.

Rob

Maz1 Oct 29th 2006 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
We have just paid $1200 for a new front loader. I think we paid £199 for the last one. They do a lot of top loaders here but we have had reports they are rough on your clothes. Even the guy in the shop said that. BRING EVERYTHING. Remember the cost of container space is not based on weight it is based on volume. The shippers are good at filling wardrobes and drawers etc.

Rob

Has anybody stayed in furnished accommodation. What is furnished - do you get everything including whites. What else? :confused:

jueinnz Oct 29th 2006 8:29 pm

Has anybody stayed in furnished accommodation. What is furnished - do you get everything including whites. What else? :confused:

When I wanted to rent a funished accommodation there was none!!!! Well actually I think there was one but not where we wanted to go!!!!

I just looked on one of the real estate sites and put funished in the keyword search and it came up with nothing.

You sound like you have already sourced one?

kiwi_child Oct 29th 2006 10:14 pm

UNFURNISHED = Nothing, bar curtains, blinds etc

PARTLY FURNISHED =Add a small dining table and chairs, maybe a sofa/couch/lounge, possibly even a fridge.

FURNISHED = Add beds and mattresses, maybe a coffee table, welsh dresser, dressing table,

FULLY FURNISHED = Means ALL necessities and often can include, dishwasher, microwave, as well as crockery, utensils, linen and bedding, tv and possibly dvd player/rec

I think individual real estate agents determine in their own mind what constitutes what, so this is just a rough guide. Shop araound as they say and good luck. Bear in mind that the more goods supplied will mean the more rent you pay and sometimes you can get a discount if you rent say all your major household appliances from the one company.

minky Oct 30th 2006 11:41 pm

Bring white goods they are quite expensive as for bikes we bought new ones in uk as I think they were cheaper than some we have seen here it depends on what type you want might be worth checking the net first.

maysie Oct 31st 2006 12:50 am

Bring everything, we gave most of our stuff away before we emigrated and very much regret doing so. We have found that white goods and beds in particular are expensive

sky Oct 31st 2006 3:23 am

Just been to Kmart today and they're selling front loading washing machines for under $600!
Also upright vacuums for $200!
Unknown brand makes though so I don't know how reliable they'd be but still it's the cheapest I have seen over here in three years!

Gill and Rob Oct 31st 2006 3:33 am

Originally Posted by sky
Just been to Kmart today and they're selling front loading washing machines for under $600!
Also upright vacuums for $200!
Unknown brand makes though so I don't know how reliable they'd be but still it's the cheapest I have seen over here in three years!

I have just seen a washing machine for $599 in the Warehouse today, totally unknown make. Wonder what we would have done had we seen that when we were looking at our $1200 one.

The cheapo cd player I bought for my van has just packed in. Just outside of the warranty period. Will go upmarket next time for that.

Rob

sky Oct 31st 2006 3:38 am

Im very tempted to buy one of the front loaders Im that sick of our top loader ripping our clothes to bits and leaving a powdery residue on everything.
I paid $800 for a Dyson when we first arrived here and it's a big pile of rubbish and is always losing suction.
Is a bit risky though buying an unknown brand isn't it.

Tooanfrom Oct 31st 2006 3:54 am

English Marmite in the biggest tins/containers--you can get it here but the smallest amount is not a arm or a leg--but a testicle(left or right) in price.

Apple12 Oct 31st 2006 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
English Marmite in the biggest tins/containers--you can get it here but the smallest amount is not a arm or a leg--but a testicle(left or right) in price.

Errrrm. Every supermarket has My Mate = british marmite with a different label. Non issue.

sniffydog Oct 31st 2006 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12
Errrrm. Every supermarket has My Mate = british marmite with a different label. Non issue.

does the "bring everyhing" extend to cars?

Also once over in NZ what is the cost of storage for containers etc until we find somewhere permanent to mvoe into?

P2L Oct 31st 2006 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by sniffydog
does the "bring everyhing" extend to cars?

Also once over in NZ what is the cost of storage for containers etc until we find somewhere permanent to mvoe into?

PSS have quoted for our move & included price for storage in NZ of $210.00 for a handling charge and a further $53.00 per week. That's based on a 1,000cuft.