Bridge burning.

Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:27 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bridge burning.

We didn't burn any bridges, but we still sold everything we could! But we could do exactly the same again and move back or go somewhere else. Who knows how long it would take to sell our house but it could be done. We'd never get a house like we had but that's so not important to me - I would live in a shack ( oh I do!) so long as I had my Dh and dogs with me - my whole idea of what's important has probably changed over time - maybe cos I'm older who knows.
I am still in very close contact with family and friends ( especially just now since I'm with them!) I still miss them all. I talk to my family every week and am in contact with my friends all the time via email, facebook and the phone.

I am incredibly happy in New Zealand I love it. I don't want to leave it ever

I actually have absolutely no desire to visit the uk, but because I miss my dad and he won't travel, if I want to see him that's my only option. I realise I am in the most fortunate position as they paid for me ( local government pensions are good if you worked for them your whole life) My dad has said he'll do this every couple of years and cos I love him I will make the hellish trip even if I hate flying more than anything and would rather not, as I know how much it means to him. But if he didn't pay for it there would be no way on earth I could afford to go back.

I have had a lovely trip seeing everyone, but I'm desperate to get home, I miss my husband more than I thought possible, but also I just miss life in New Zealand, I like the slower pace (well where I live anyway, but it's rather unfair to compare rural NZ to city living in the Uk) everything is less frantic, people are more patient, we're not all rushing around like lunatics! People are less grumpy! Actually that's not really true, people have seemed pretty happy

Last edited by pixi-dust; Oct 27th 2009 at 6:29 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:55 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose you could look at Bridge Burning in two lights
a) To prevent your return to the mess you are leaving.
b) To prevent the same mess from following you!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:12 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Suppose you could look at Bridge Burning in two lights
a) To prevent your return to the mess you are leaving.
b) To prevent the same mess from following you!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Transient
Bridge burning suggests making it impossible to return. I'm not entirely sure how you manage to do that outside of renouncing British citizenship (and even then you can apply to get it back).
It does not really, it just suggests that returning (whilst is always, always possible) waaaaaaaay less likely. If you retain bricks and mortar in the UK you are potentially more likey to return should things not pan out. Me having flogged my house and given up a very well paid career (you cannot just walk back into plod..it takes ages..if you are accpeted and you lose huge increments that you had previously) would be less likely to return to the UK if things went tits up..rather work out the problems here.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Transient
Bridge burning suggests making it impossible to return. I'm not entirely sure how you manage to do that outside of renouncing British citizenship (and even then you can apply to get it back).
That would be my interpretation.
Bridge burning to me is just that. A deliberate ,totally complete, inability to return whether one subsequently wished to or not. This , to me, applies to places & relationships.

Apologies to Genesis for not agreeing with his view on this

As per Bo Jangles post, we simply did what so many others have to do . Myself and Mr BEVS sold up everything and also left what we felt was a good income and lifestyle. However, I do not view that as burning our bridges because when all is said and done, if needs be, we could leave & return to the UK just as Genesis could.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Bridge burning to me is just that. A deliberate ,totally complete, inability to return whether one subsequently wished to or not. This , to me, applies to places & relationships.

As per Bo Jangles post, we simply did what so many others have to do . Myself and Mr BEVS sold up everything and also left what we felt was a good income and lifestyle. However, I do not view that as burning our bridges because when all is said and done, if needs be, we could leave & return to the UK just as Genesis could.
I concur
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

I agree with Genesis slightly more than Bevs on this one..... to me when I talk of 'burning of bridges' it is mainly a 'financial burning of bridges' I am thinking of. As part of emigrating most people would have to sell up in the UK at some point, even if they did rent at first to make sure NZ is likely to be for them long-term.
In reality this means that the longer you are away, the harder it would be to get back on UK property ladder in relative terms....it is still doable but more of a wrench maybe especially if you would have to trade space in NZ for a smaller cramped UK house in not so sought-after area. So you'd maybe be risking going back to a worse UK situation than you originally left.

I think you are all really really brave however you do it....I'm much more risk-averse, I have always known for me, UK is where I want to ultimately be and my kids will need to revisit their roots there sooner rather than later or at least be posted somewhere within easier geographical and financial reach.
At least if you 'emigrate' you make more of a clean break and can get on with establishing permanent new social networks etc in the new location.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I agree with Genesis slightly more than Bevs on this one..... to me when I talk of 'burning of bridges' it is mainly a 'financial burning of bridges' I am thinking of. As part of emigrating most people would have to sell up in the UK at some point, even if they did rent at first to make sure NZ is likely to be for them long-term.
In reality this means that the longer you are away, the harder it would be to get back on UK property ladder in relative terms....it is still doable but more of a wrench maybe especially if you would have to trade space in NZ for a smaller cramped UK house in not so sought-after area. So you'd maybe be risking going back to a worse UK situation than you originally left.

I think you are all really really brave however you do it....I'm much more risk-averse, I have always known for me, UK is where I want to ultimately be and my kids will need to revisit their roots there sooner rather than later or at least be posted somewhere within easier geographical and financial reach.
At least if you 'emigrate' you make more of a clean break and can get on with establishing permanent new social networks etc in the new location.
I guess it depends upon your interpretation of the saying. I agree if you look at it literally the saying does mean IMPOSSIBLE to return when in truth we could all pack up and go home within a week if we really wanted to. If you can't sell your house you rent it..simple..but we can all go home. For some of us we take bridge burning as doing stuff in your life in such a way that its highly unlikely you will return such are the changes and things you have done. I regard myself as having done both physical and 'mental' things that leave the prospect of returning to the UK very much a dead duck in the water. Bevs there's no need to apologise for not agreeing with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!