Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

bricklayer thinking of moveing to new zeland in the summer

bricklayer thinking of moveing to new zeland in the summer

Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bricklayer thinking of moveing to new zeland in the summer

ii am thinking of moving to new zeland in the summer.

and was wondering if there is many bricklaying or block laying jobs around
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bricklayer thinking of moveing to new zeland in the summer

Originally Posted by wesleyk

Why not google it?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 12:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by wesleyk

Are you thinking of just visiting or emigrating here.

You can take a look at Trade Me or perhaps Seek to see what there may be about at the moment.

You should be aware though that New Zealand has recession just as elsewhere in the world and construction here is almost slowed to a full stop. Husband is a tradesman ( plumber) and he is on shorter working hours than normaL. We know many tradesmen in the same boat with some being laid off . That isn't to say there isn't work out there.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, do investigate. My OH is not a bricklayer but works in the building trade and has been laid off 3 times since Chirstmas after being consistently employed for several years. He's finally decided to get out of the business. I don't know what the standards are for brickies and whether you have to do any other training, but your particular skills may be valuable because there may not be so many in NZ experienced in that area - a fair amount of houses are weatherboard, fibrolite or veneer. Investigate jobs and businesses on the net and ask around.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:23 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

You may be lucky and find some work, however at this moment in time, you are very unlikely to get PR as bricklayer has been removed form the Long Term Skills Shortage list.

That said, house building seems to be on the up again, certainly here in Canterbury, so may only be a matter of time before the situation changes again

Hope that helps
Good Luck
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyk is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for your information.

i was just thinking of visiting on a 2 year visa, as i made the mistake of applying for pr in canada.work really slowed down,but i could only work for the 1 employer.and as work got tight he started making the british lads life hell..

construction seems to have been hit all over the world