Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Old Aug 8th 2019, 5:38 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 64
jarv5116 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by hayleystan View Post

We live in the North West of UK so may find NZ more costly. I believe there’s some building work in Tauranga but my worry is that Husband may not find as much work than in UK
Yeah he maybe struggle to find work like he does back home. Everything construction out here is on alot smaller scale. you dont see big new towns getting built like back home where everything is brick built.
Does he do anything else except brick laying. Kiwi companies like people that do multi trades. generally you dont need Nvqs or tickets either. more to do with experience.
jarv5116 is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2019, 5:53 pm
  #17  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 3,901
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Tauranga and Hamilton, two points of the golden triangle.
Hamilton would be cheaper than Tauranga but is not as nice. As for work I think it would be about equal. There's heaps of nursing jobs, my wife has never had trouble finding a post wherever we've moved to (Hamilton being one of the places) can't comment on bricklayer jobs, I don't see many brick buildings being built.
i always think the best advice is, go to wherever you can get a job regardless of where it might be
​​​​
I didn't mean equal with the UK. I've been away too long to know what UK nurses get. I meant nursing opportunities in Tauranga and Hamilton would be equal
Justcol is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2019, 5:55 pm
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 3,901
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by jarv5116 View Post
Yeah he maybe struggle to find work like he does back home. Everything construction out here is on alot smaller scale. you dont see big new towns getting built like back home where everything is brick built.
Does he do anything else except brick laying. Kiwi companies like people that do multi trades. generally you dont need Nvqs or tickets either. more to do with experience.
There's plenty of tower blocks going up in Auckland and Dunedin is gearing up for a new hospital build that's going to take years
Justcol is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:31 pm
  #19  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
hayleystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by jarv5116 View Post
Yeah he maybe struggle to find work like he does back home. Everything construction out here is on alot smaller scale. you dont see big new towns getting built like back home where everything is brick built.
Does he do anything else except brick laying. Kiwi companies like people that do multi trades. generally you dont need Nvqs or tickets either. more to do with experience.
He does do a bit of joinery/plumbing & block paving but his qualifications are in bricklaying and it’s what he’s used to. The other stuff he tends to do around our house or for family. It’s difficult as we want to emigrate but if he’s not going to be guaranteed work then we would struggle financially, then what would be the point?
hayleystan is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:19 pm
  #20  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,477
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by hayleystan View Post

Haha, wow that’s so different from UK isn’t it 😆 a 4 hour drive for us is a long way here 😂
Family have advertised to go for it, they have NZ citizenship & wouldn’t come back to UK. They’ve also said Tauranga pricey but still think I should go for the interview. My uncle has been able to set up his own business and say hubby should be able to do the same.
Havent been to NZ but been doing research
OK. So your Fam sound straight enough. Yes go for that interview.

Is your uncle a bricklayer then?

BEVS is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:27 pm
  #21  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,477
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by hayleystan View Post

It’s difficult as we want to emigrate but if he’s not going to be guaranteed work then we would struggle financially, then what would be the point?
The way to go with that is for him to be employed at first. That way he gets his face known, builds his reputation and gets to know people in the trade . This is New Zealand and it is very much who you know and who knows who. The area your are going to is not short of people in this trade so slowly will win the day in the end but to start with he really would need to build a base of folks that know him and who he knows.
From there in a bit , he could consider going self-employed and becoming a contractor. It would be good if he would look to gaining his Master Mason accreditation.

He won't be doing joinery or plumbing through work at all as he is not NZ qualified or licensed to do so . Each trade is very much stand alone in this respect.

No-one can guarantee him work from outset unless he gains an NZ job offer through an employer which I happen to feel is the best move for him, for a residency application and for your overall wellbeing and finances as a family. He would be unlikely to gain a job offer from overseas . It will be very mucha boots on ground and go knock on trade firms doors once here. That is more how it works.

Of course if you would choose to go first to where his trade is in a shortage of people to do that trade and where nurses are also needed then it would all be easier in terms of picking up firm employment.


BEVS is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2019, 8:09 am
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,379
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by hayleystan View Post

Haha, we’re in Knowsley so not far from good old Wigan!
I’ve heard really good things about the schools there, glad to hear you think the same.
Is it better to rent in Tauranga as I hear the houses to buy are very expensive, from what I can see rentals don’t appear too bad?
Ah ok. Sister-in-law is in Aughton and the in-laws in Churchtown so not too far from you. Majority on my side are all in Wigan.....will need a crowbar to shift any of em!
None of the schools are free - even the state schools. There's always some sort of mandatory fee to pay each term but doesn't add up to much maybe $250 for the year per child. There's always usually a voluntary fee also which could be $100 or so for the year which you don't have to pay but generally every does as they don't want their child missing out or feel that they aren't contributing like others do. These fees cover admin, stationary etc. You still have to pay for school bag, full uniforms and any field trip costs plus anything else that your child needs over and above normal stationary. At some point they'll need a mini pc like a Chromebook or iPad but unsure when that is required.
You do need to rent initially. You have never been here so don't make the mistake of buying too soon. You need to rent somewhere temporary to give you the opportunity to see where you'd like to live then rent in that place for a while to make sure it is for you before committing to purchase. Property in Tauranga is expensive to buy and expensive to rent. You do know the stated rental figures are per week, not per month aye ?
We were paying $475 per week in Bethlehem for a 3 bed, 1 bath, 1 en suite, double garage single level home (bungalow to you) approx 160 sq m on a small section with a view of the Mount from the garden. Nothing flash at all and maybe 10-15yrs old. That is unfurnished, no appliances or anything. You also have to pay 4 x the weekly rent up front as a bond AND a week or two in advance rent whatever you agree with the agent. It is tough going trying to secure a rental. It is usually the letting agent who decides. There'll be multiple families trying to secure virtually everything you go for.
Rent of $475 per week = $25k for the year plus you have all the bills for electricity, water usage, internet, garden maintenance, insurance etc to pay for.
You would really struggle to find anything decent for that kind of price now. I'd expect more $530/$550 per week plus.

escapedtonz is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2019, 1:33 pm
  #23  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
hayleystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
OK. So your Fam sound straight enough. Yes go for that interview.

Is your uncle a bricklayer then?
Thanks. My uncle isn’t a bricklayer, if only he was, I’m sure my husband would get a job no probs then
hayleystan is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2019, 9:19 pm
  #24  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
hayleystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Ah ok. Sister-in-law is in Aughton and the in-laws in Churchtown so not too far from you. Majority on my side are all in Wigan.....will need a crowbar to shift any of em!
None of the schools are free - even the state schools. There's always some sort of mandatory fee to pay each term but doesn't add up to much maybe $250 for the year per child. There's always usually a voluntary fee also which could be $100 or so for the year which you don't have to pay but generally every does as they don't want their child missing out or feel that they aren't contributing like others do. These fees cover admin, stationary etc. You still have to pay for school bag, full uniforms and any field trip costs plus anything else that your child needs over and above normal stationary. At some point they'll need a mini pc like a Chromebook or iPad but unsure when that is required.
You do need to rent initially. You have never been here so don't make the mistake of buying too soon. You need to rent somewhere temporary to give you the opportunity to see where you'd like to live then rent in that place for a while to make sure it is for you before committing to purchase. Property in Tauranga is expensive to buy and expensive to rent. You do know the stated rental figures are per week, not per month aye ?
We were paying $475 per week in Bethlehem for a 3 bed, 1 bath, 1 en suite, double garage single level home (bungalow to you) approx 160 sq m on a small section with a view of the Mount from the garden. Nothing flash at all and maybe 10-15yrs old. That is unfurnished, no appliances or anything. You also have to pay 4 x the weekly rent up front as a bond AND a week or two in advance rent whatever you agree with the agent. It is tough going trying to secure a rental. It is usually the letting agent who decides. There'll be multiple families trying to secure virtually everything you go for.
Rent of $475 per week = $25k for the year plus you have all the bills for electricity, water usage, internet, garden maintenance, insurance etc to pay for.
You would really struggle to find anything decent for that kind of price now. I'd expect more $530/$550 per week plus.
Thanks for all the info. Yeah I noticed houses prices for anything half decent is about $550 per week. If you work it out though it’s around £1000 a month? Plus no council tax for rentals I believe?
School fees not too bad at all is it
hayleystan is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2019, 2:44 am
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 64
jarv5116 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by hayleystan View Post

Thanks for all the info. Yeah I noticed houses prices for anything half decent is about $550 per week. If you work it out though it’s around £1000 a month? Plus no council tax for rentals I believe?
School fees not too bad at all is it
Its really hard to compare stuff in NZ to UK money wise.
There so much variables it will make u ill trying to compare it.
I pay the same for rent in Auckland for a 3 bed detached house as I was paying for a 2 bed semi in Essex.
Only problem I find with houses is there are no double glazing or central heating in any houses. house gets quite cold in the evenings. I don't really rate these heat pumps in NZ compared to central heating. I don't know if your aware of that already.
Wages are about the same.
I find food about the same as shopping in Tescos or asda as Pak and save I don't find much price difference. If you eat takeaways twice a week to your food bill would be the same probs. You get large pizza from dominos or pizza hut for 5 dollars. Chippy and Chinese and Currys are ridiculously cheap. Beer is but more expensive but I don't ever drink much.
Fuel cheaper, road tax cheaper, Insurance cheaper.
No council tax.
Don't pay National insurance on your wages either just pay tax your employer pays yours NI and I find it better terms in NZ you get 80% of your wage if your injured at work.
I'm never in the doctors so don't mind paying 18 dollars for a appointment the same day you phone and I think my wife paid 2 dollars for her prescription.
It works out better for me in NZ than in the UK money wise and lifestyle.
But as I said there so many variables only way you will kniw is to try it.
Some people are dreamers and want everything for nothing expect to move to a new country work less hours and have 5 bed house on the beach.
It ain't going happen.
If you work 60 hours in the UK to fund your lifestyle your going have todo the same in NZ.

Last edited by jarv5116; Aug 10th 2019 at 2:57 am.
jarv5116 is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2019, 2:47 am
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,379
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by hayleystan View Post

Thanks for all the info. Yeah I noticed houses prices for anything half decent is about $550 per week. If you work it out though it’s around £1000 a month? Plus no council tax for rentals I believe?
School fees not too bad at all is it
More like £1280/£1300 per calander month equivalent if you use current exchange rates. Way more expensive than renting in the UK especially when you appreciate what you are renting.
There is no council tax here. All property and land is subject to council rates depending on the rateable value (RV) or Council Value (CV) and is the responsibility of the property owner to pay.
Yeah school fees are fine unless you decide on a more state integrated school or private where fees can be between $4k to $20k per year per student.
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2019, 3:03 am
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 64
jarv5116 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
There's plenty of tower blocks going up in Auckland and Dunedin is gearing up for a new hospital build that's going to take years
Yeah Auckland skyline has a crazy amount of tower cranes for a small city.
Only problem is there won't be many blocks getting laid in the structures.
It will be all concrete pannels and steel.
That's why I was asking if he knows any thing about installing concrete panels or concrete pouring as there is so much work.
jarv5116 is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2019, 6:51 am
  #28  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
hayleystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by jarv5116 View Post
Its really hard to compare stuff in NZ to UK money wise.
There so much variables it will make u ill trying to compare it.
I pay the same for rent in Auckland for a 3 bed detached house as I was paying for a 2 bed semi in Essex.
Only problem I find with houses is there are no double glazing or central heating in any houses. house gets quite cold in the evenings. I don't really rate these heat pumps in NZ compared to central heating. I don't know if your aware of that already.
Wages are about the same.
I find food about the same as shopping in Tescos or asda as Pak and save I don't find much price difference. If you eat takeaways twice a week to your food bill would be the same probs. You get large pizza from dominos or pizza hut for 5 dollars. Chippy and Chinese and Currys are ridiculously cheap. Beer is but more expensive but I don't ever drink much.
Fuel cheaper, road tax cheaper, Insurance cheaper.
No council tax.
Don't pay National insurance on your wages either just pay tax your employer pays yours NI and I find it better terms in NZ you get 80% of your wage if your injured at work.
I'm never in the doctors so don't mind paying 18 dollars for a appointment the same day you phone and I think my wife paid 2 dollars for her prescription.
It works out better for me in NZ than in the UK money wise and lifestyle.
But as I said there so many variables only way you will kniw is to try it.
Some people are dreamers and want everything for nothing expect to move to a new country work less hours and have 5 bed house on the beach.
It ain't going happen.
If you work 60 hours in the UK to fund your lifestyle your going have todo the same in NZ.
Thanks, this is really good info. I’m going to have to increase my working hours in NZ in order to get the visa, only do 22.5 at the moment.
How come pizzas so cheap?! Dominoes is at least £20 over here to feed a family of 4 😂
Rent is expensive isn’t it, although I heard gas & electric cheaper so maybe would level itself out, especially not paying council tax.
Prescriptions in UK £9 now & it’s rare you can get same day GP app, sometimes you have to wait a week for app at my husbands surgery
hayleystan is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2019, 6:59 am
  #29  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
hayleystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by jarv5116 View Post
Yeah Auckland skyline has a crazy amount of tower cranes for a small city.
Only problem is there won't be many blocks getting laid in the structures.
It will be all concrete pannels and steel.
That's why I was asking if he knows any thing about installing concrete panels or concrete pouring as there is so much work.
I don’t think he does much like that, just the bricklaying side of things
hayleystan is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2019, 8:40 am
  #30  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,379
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by hayleystan View Post

Thanks, this is really good info. I’m going to have to increase my working hours in NZ in order to get the visa, only do 22.5 at the moment.
How come pizzas so cheap?! Dominoes is at least £20 over here to feed a family of 4 😂
Rent is expensive isn’t it, although I heard gas & electric cheaper so maybe would level itself out, especially not paying council tax.
Prescriptions in UK £9 now & it’s rare you can get same day GP app, sometimes you have to wait a week for app at my husbands surgery
All crap unhealthy food/drink is cheap here. It is why there is such an obesity epidemic. If you are living on the bread line you ain't gonna be buying an avocado for up to $12 each or a cucumber for $squizzillions and making a salad. $5 classic pizzas from majority of the usual suspects like Pizza Hut and Dominoes plus there's pages of family deals for like 5 pizzas garlic bread chips pop for a family $30. 2ltr fizzy pop cheaper than milk etc.
Gas and electric isn't much cheaper. We are 2 adults and 2 kids and we're $300-$350 a month winter and between $160-$200 summer for electric (still in use as we also have air con). Gas isn't found as much as NZ doesn't have the gas main infrastructure. It is in some places but not that common. We had it in Wellington but not here in Tauranga. Some people have gas but just maybe for the cooktop and via a bottle outside that lasts 6 months at $100 replacement cost.
Costs don't level out. It is a much higher CoL here....period. At least 15-20% I reckon.
Prescription cost here is usually included in the GP consult but you have to pay to see the GP here. Approx $50 a time (if you are classed as a permanent resident). It'll be around $85 per time otherwise. Kids are free up to 13 yrs. Repeat script approx $20. Each item on the script is $7.50 ish at the pharmacy. Accident & Emergency treatment is free for everyone and so is GP referred medical treatment unless you wanna pay for going private. Dentist is very expensive. $400 for a filling replacement. $100 for a quick check up. Braces are from around $8k I believe.
escapedtonz is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.