British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bricklayer-nurse-emigrating-nz-where-pays-better-926996/)

hayleystan Aug 6th 2019 2:34 pm

Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, is it affordable?

Hi,
I'm looking to make the move to NZ with my husband & 3 children. I’m a nurse and my husband a bricklayer. I’ve done a bit of research and from what I can see it looks like compared to NZ the UK pays better in both these jobs? Or they’re sort of similar pay but it looks more expensive to live in NZ? Does anybody have any experience in these jobs over in NZ & is it still affordable to live there as groceries & rent look more expensive? We were hoping to live in either Tauranga or Hamilton depending on where we get job offers.
Thanks in advance!

Justcol Aug 6th 2019 6:05 pm

Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Tauranga and Hamilton, two points of the golden triangle.
Hamilton would be cheaper than Tauranga but is not as nice. As for work I think it would be about equal. There's heaps of nursing jobs, my wife has never had trouble finding a post wherever we've moved to (Hamilton being one of the places) can't comment on bricklayer jobs, I don't see many brick buildings being built.
i always think the best advice is, go to wherever you can get a job regardless of where it might be
​​​​

hayleystan Aug 6th 2019 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12719612)
Tauranga and Hamilton, two points of the golden triangle.
Hamilton would be cheaper than Tauranga but is not as nice. As for work I think it would be about equal. There's heaps of nursing jobs, my wife has never had trouble finding a post wherever we've moved to (Hamilton being one of the places) can't comment on bricklayer jobs, I don't see many brick buildings being built.
i always think the best advice is, go to wherever you can get a job regardless of where it might be
​​​​

Thanks for the advice, I thought nursing may have been around the same pay.
We’ve been told bricklaying on the skills shortage although I noticed most of the houses aren’t brick build

BEVS Aug 7th 2019 3:20 am

Originally Posted by hayleystan (Post 12719619)

We’ve been told bricklaying on the skills shortage although I noticed most of the houses aren’t brick build

Bricklaying here is not bricklaying as such. House can be brick look clad but those bricks are not as you would be familiar with.

jarv5116 Aug 7th 2019 5:48 am

there won't be much bricklaying for your hubby out here. Dont see anything brick here.
There won't be anywhere near the work he be used to back home.
Does your hubby know anything about concrete? like erecting concrete panels or concrete pouring?
There heaps of work with concrete panels and pouring concrete.

Where about do you live?
I lived around Essex for about 4 years before moving out here. I find the cost of living around the same as Essex as Auckland. Auckland is no where near as expensive as London.
If your from up North you will find it very expensive.

hayleystan Aug 7th 2019 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12719850)
there won't be much bricklaying for your hubby out here. Dont see anything brick here.
There won't be anywhere near the work he be used to back home.
Does your hubby know anything about concrete? like erecting concrete panels or concrete pouring?
There heaps of work with concrete panels and pouring concrete.

Where about do you live?
I lived around Essex for about 4 years before moving out here. I find the cost of living around the same as Essex as Auckland. Auckland is no where near as expensive as London.
If your from up North you will find it very expensive.

We live in the North West of UK so may find NZ more costly. I believe there’s some building work in Tauranga but my worry is that Husband may not find as much work than in UK

BEVS Aug 7th 2019 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by hayleystan (Post 12719996)

We live in the North West of UK so may find NZ more costly. I believe there’s some building work in Tauranga but my worry is that Husband may not find as much work than in UK

You go where the work is first. From there you are better able to choose which area you will finally live in.

The cost of living v net wages in NZ is high so do your sums. Do not compare UK costs and wages to NZ costs and wages at all . The only thing to compare really is what % of your net income now is left over as disposable income in the UK after all bills etc paid as opposed to how that might be in NZ. Also, much depends on how much dosh you can bring with you and the like.

Not sure what you mean re husband. He will look to join a firm as a brick/block laying tradie. That ensures an income.

escapedtonz Aug 8th 2019 12:01 am

Hi,
I'm in Tauranga and from the North West of England 😁
There is a lot of building work in the Bay of Plenty area but not a lot of bricklaying as such.
NZ doesn't do block & brick construction as it doesn't meet code when considering the earthquake risk.
You'll only see brick where it is specified as a single layer cladding and it is the cheapest option here so would only be applied on a budget. There are many other options and brick isn't the most common option.
My Mrs is a NW England trained ICU Sister but a practice nurse here. Pay is pretty much the same. I think a little higher. Have a look at the MECA contract as that is what you'd be on and paid according to that.

BEVS Aug 8th 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by hayleystan (Post 12719619)

I just read this.

Brick and blocklayers are on a skills shortage list but only for 3 areas in NZ
Northland, Auckland and Canterbury. For the ret of New Zealand this trade is not short of prospective employees so it may be so that your husband might find it hard to gain employment in the two areas you are considering. Most trade jobs go by word of mouth and recommendation. Having written that , as you are a nurse, if you are working then your OH would have breathing space to get his boots onthe ground around all the trade companies there is to try and get an 'in' .

Houses in NZ are timber or steel framed and then an outside cladding of choice is applied. That can sometimes be brick or block but it can also be weatherboard, wood, panelling.

Is there a reason that you have set on Tauranga or Hamilton? The cost of living can in general be better on the South Island & Canterbury does have a shortage of those in his trade. For some cities it would not be so much about house building. It would also be about commercial & heritage buildings.

Here is the Brick and Blocklayers Federation of NZ.

hayleystan Aug 8th 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12720224)
Hi,
I'm in Tauranga and from the North West of England 😁
There is a lot of building work in the Bay of Plenty area but not a lot of bricklaying as such.
NZ doesn't do block & brick construction as it doesn't meet code when considering the earthquake risk.
You'll only see brick where it is specified as a single layer cladding and it is the cheapest option here so would only be applied on a budget. There are many other options and brick isn't the most common option.
My Mrs is a NW England trained ICU Sister but a practice nurse here. Pay is pretty much the same. I think a little higher. Have a look at the MECA contract as that is what you'd be on and paid according to that.

That’s good to know, thanks for the reply.
Do you have any children with you? If so how are the schools in Tauranga?
Have you been there long?
Has it been the right move for you?

hayleystan Aug 8th 2019 6:24 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12720232)
I just read this.

Brick and blocklayers are on a skills shortage list but only for 3 areas in NZ
Northland, Auckland and Canterbury. For the ret of New Zealand this trade is not short of prospective employees so it may be so that your husband might find it hard to gain employment in the two areas you are considering. Most trade jobs go by word of mouth and recommendation. Having written that , as you are a nurse, if you are working then your OH would have breathing space to get his boots onthe ground around all the trade companies there is to try and get an 'in' .

Houses in NZ are timber or steel framed and then an outside cladding of choice is applied. That can sometimes be brick or block but it can also be weatherboard, wood, panelling.

Is there a reason that you have set on Tauranga or Hamilton? The cost of living can in general be better on the South Island & Canterbury does have a shortage of those in his trade. For some cities it would not be so much about house building. It would also be about commercial & heritage buildings.

Hi Bevs, good to know this info, thanks.
We would like Hamilton as I have family already living there, I would like to be near them.
Tauranga has been somewhere we would like to consider as I believe the weather is nice there plus the beach looks amazing, I also have a job interview on Monday in this area & it’s under an hours drive from Hamilton so still close to family.
Have you been in NZ long? Do you consider it a good move to make?
By the way thanks for the link, I couldn’t open it but will search the web for it 😊

BEVS Aug 8th 2019 6:50 am

Originally Posted by hayleystan (Post 12720282)

Hi Bevs, good to know this info, thanks.
We would like Hamilton as I have family already living there, I would like to be near them.
Tauranga has been somewhere we would like to consider as I believe the weather is nice there plus the beach looks amazing, I also have a job interview on Monday in this area & it’s under an hours drive from Hamilton so still close to family.
Have you been in NZ long? Do you consider it a good move to make?
By the way thanks for the link, I couldn’t open it but will search the web for it 😊

OK. Linky went wrong. Try again . Should work now.

Any move that sees a family happy , healthy and lovingly together is a good move. Be that a move up the road or very far away. Everyone's mileage differs.

Tauranga is a great area but I think maybe a little pricey in places. As you have family here what do they advise ? Have you ever been to New Zealand for a few weeks at all?

Here in New Zealand families often live not in the same area as such. They will take quite long drives or internal flights to see each other. My neighbour thinks nothing of a 4 hour drive to see her Mum for instance & we think of a four hour drive as just up the road now.

hayleystan Aug 8th 2019 7:03 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12720289)
OK. Linky went wrong. Try again . Should work now.

Any move that sees a family happy , healthy and lovingly together is a good move. Be that a move up the road or very far away. Everyone's mileage differs.

Tauranga is a great area but I think maybe a little pricey in places. As you have family here what do they advise ? Have you ever been to New Zealand for a few weeks at all?

Here in New Zealand families often live not in the same area as such. They will take quite long drives or internal flights to see each other. My neighbour thinks nothing of a 4 hour drive to see her Mum for instance & we think of a four hour drive as just up the road now.

Haha, wow that’s so different from UK isn’t it 😆 a 4 hour drive for us is a long way here 😂
Family have advertised to go for it, they have NZ citizenship & wouldn’t come back to UK. They’ve also said Tauranga pricey but still think I should go for the interview. My uncle has been able to set up his own business and say hubby should be able to do the same.
Havent been to NZ but been doing research

escapedtonz Aug 8th 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by hayleystan (Post 12720280)

That’s good to know, thanks for the reply.
Do you have any children with you? If so how are the schools in Tauranga?
Have you been there long?
Has it been the right move for you?

Yes we have 8yr old and 3yr old boys. Older one born in the UK and was 13 months when we migrated. Been here 7.5yrs now. Only the older one in school as they can only start from their 5th birthday. Younger one does daycare (private kindy) 3 full days a week.
Schools are pretty good in my opinion. Don't really hear any bad reports in Tauranga. Our boy goes to Omokoroa No 1 (which isn't in Omokoroa ironically) and it is an awesome school. It is a rural school and decile 10. Great facilities, awesome principal and super awesome teachers.
Yes NZ has been a great experience and a good move. Originally arrived in Wellington. Did 2.5yrs there which was fine but wanted a better climate, easier access to other places in the North Island and better beaches etc.
Million times better than sunny owd Wigan I can tell ya!!!

hayleystan Aug 8th 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12720371)
Yes we have 8yr old and 3yr old boys. Older one born in the UK and was 13 months when we migrated. Been here 7.5yrs now. Only the older one in school as they can only start from their 5th birthday. Younger one does daycare (private kindy) 3 full days a week.
Schools are pretty good in my opinion. Don't really hear any bad reports in Tauranga. Our boy goes to Omokoroa No 1 (which isn't in Omokoroa ironically) and it is an awesome school. It is a rural school and decile 10. Great facilities, awesome principal and super awesome teachers.
Yes NZ has been a great experience and a good move. Originally arrived in Wellington. Did 2.5yrs there which was fine but wanted a better climate, easier access to other places in the North Island and better beaches etc.
Million times better than sunny owd Wigan I can tell ya!!!

Haha, we’re in Knowsley so not far from good old Wigan!
I’ve heard really good things about the schools there, glad to hear you think the same.
Is it better to rent in Tauranga as I hear the houses to buy are very expensive, from what I can see rentals don’t appear too bad?