Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Old Aug 10th 2019, 8:55 am
Just Joined

hayleystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayer & Nurse emigrating to NZ, where pays better?

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
All crap unhealthy food/drink is cheap here. It is why there is such an obesity epidemic. If you are living on the bread line you ain't gonna be buying an avocado for up to $12 each or a cucumber for $squizzillions and making a salad. $5 classic pizzas from majority of the usual suspects like Pizza Hut and Dominoes plus there's pages of family deals for like 5 pizzas garlic bread chips pop for a family $30. 2ltr fizzy pop cheaper than milk etc.
Gas and electric isn't much cheaper. We are 2 adults and 2 kids and we're $300-$350 a month winter and between $160-$200 summer for electric (still in use as we also have air con). Gas isn't found as much as NZ doesn't have the gas main infrastructure. It is in some places but not that common. We had it in Wellington but not here in Tauranga. Some people have gas but just maybe for the cooktop and via a bottle outside that lasts 6 months at $100 replacement cost.
Costs don't level out. It is a much higher CoL here....period. At least 15-20% I reckon.
Prescription cost here is usually included in the GP consult but you have to pay to see the GP here. Approx $50 a time (if you are classed as a permanent resident). It'll be around $85 per time otherwise. Kids are free up to 13 yrs. Repeat script approx $20. Each item on the script is $7.50 ish at the pharmacy. Accident & Emergency treatment is free for everyone and so is GP referred medical treatment unless you wanna pay for going private. Dentist is very expensive. $400 for a filling replacement. $100 for a quick check up. Braces are from around $8k I believe.
So even though the cost of living is higher, so your financially worse off, I take it the other things like out door lifestyle, good schools etc outweigh the fact that you haven’t got as much money as what you would in the UK?
Old Aug 10th 2019, 9:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hayleystan

Thanks, this is really good info. I’m going to have to increase my working hours in NZ in order to get the visa, only do 22.5 at the moment.
How come pizzas so cheap?! Dominoes is at least £20 over here to feed a family of 4 😂
Rent is expensive isn’t it, although I heard gas & electric cheaper so maybe would level itself out, especially not paying council tax.
Prescriptions in UK £9 now & it’s rare you can get same day GP app, sometimes you have to wait a week for app at my husbands surgery
We have to do that here sometimes . A GP visit for us is NZD $45 & you will have to wait for a slot. Then there is the $ cost for the subscription on top + the meds costs.
My husband's med is $10 a go for one of each but it really does depend on what the med is . I once needed something that was $1 a tablet and that was with it being subsidised. I would love GBP9 quid for a prescription.

It does not work the same here as for the NHS. Some things will not be available at all. Some things will. Some things expensive. Some things affordable. Some things you will have to pay at point of service . Some things you will go on a wait list - quite a long wait list. Emergency you should be OK.

Make your own pizza. We do.

Gas and electric is a % comparison to what you earn here. Forget the UK comparison thing.

Just look at what you might earn in NZ net of tax. Look at all the stuff you think might be costs and be brutal Take one from the other and that is your margin. What you might put by for a rainy day/ emergencies and the like.

Do you want some CoL figures from those of us with boots on ground?

Has your family given you that?

Old Aug 10th 2019, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS

Do you want some CoL figures from those of us with boots on ground?

Has your family given you that?
Hi BEVS, yeah that would be good, the more info the better I suppose.
Family have given us some advice although they don’t have any young children to consider so it would be good to see how people with young children find the COL
Old Aug 10th 2019, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

So even though the cost of living is higher, so your financially worse off, I take it the other things like out door lifestyle, good schools etc outweigh the fact that you haven’t got as much money as what you would in the UK?
I had to take around a 40% pay drop coming here. I had to search out a role that was the next level up from what I was doing in the UK with more responsibility to get as much $'s as I could as the industry I am in just doesn't pay as much as in the UK. The wife is a nurse so earns a tad more but she is part time anyways so as long as she earns enough to cover kids at school/daycare and groceries its all good. On the flip side she didn't really have to work in the UK as I earned enough on my own so when she went on maternity we survived fine and then we came here and quickly found we couldn't afford for her to not work. We were way worse off income wise when we arrived in 2012. I'm earning $50k more than I did when we arrived so the pressure is off now. It does affect you more as the CoL is higher, higher property purchase / rental costs and higher lending rates for mortgages and personal finance.
But....
The weather is more settled and you can count on it more meaning there's more to do outdoors. A lot of that is free so we don't spend anywhere near as much when we go outdoors with the kids to the beach or for a walk etc. There's also a lot of local outdoor events which are virtually every weekend through summer/autumn and either free or a gold coin donation. There's also many other events that can be $10 each entry for the A&P shows etc. Still cheap and loads to do when you are inside.
There's not pubs on every street corner so you don't tend to socialize anywhere near as much as in the UK. Majority just drink at home with the occasional meal out, a pint then drive home. There's not loads of options to get home when you've been drinking unless you are in or near a city centre and minted as taxis are expensive. Uber has made it a lot cheaper and there's also travel options for E-scooters in Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch which are very affordable. We used to love nights out with friends, pub crawl and all that jazz but that stopped 7.5 years ago when we came here. It is a fairly different life but I'm not complaining as we probably couldn't afford to drink/eat out as much as we enjoyed in the UK.
As far as I'm concerned the lifestyle here outweighs the disadvantages.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I had to take around a 40% pay drop coming here. I had to search out a role that was the next level up from what I was doing in the UK with more responsibility to get as much $'s as I could as the industry I am in just doesn't pay as much as in the UK. The wife is a nurse so earns a tad more but she is part time anyways so as long as she earns enough to cover kids at school/daycare and groceries its all good. On the flip side she didn't really have to work in the UK as I earned enough on my own so when she went on maternity we survived fine and then we came here and quickly found we couldn't afford for her to not work. We were way worse off income wise when we arrived in 2012. I'm earning $50k more than I did when we arrived so the pressure is off now. It does affect you more as the CoL is higher, higher property purchase / rental costs and higher lending rates for mortgages and personal finance.
But....
The weather is more settled and you can count on it more meaning there's more to do outdoors. A lot of that is free so we don't spend anywhere near as much when we go outdoors with the kids to the beach or for a walk etc. There's also a lot of local outdoor events which are virtually every weekend through summer/autumn and either free or a gold coin donation. There's also many other events that can be $10 each entry for the A&P shows etc. Still cheap and loads to do when you are inside.
There's not pubs on every street corner so you don't tend to socialize anywhere near as much as in the UK. Majority just drink at home with the occasional meal out, a pint then drive home. There's not loads of options to get home when you've been drinking unless you are in or near a city centre and minted as taxis are expensive. Uber has made it a lot cheaper and there's also travel options for E-scooters in Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch which are very affordable. We used to love nights out with friends, pub crawl and all that jazz but that stopped 7.5 years ago when we came here. It is a fairly different life but I'm not complaining as we probably couldn't afford to drink/eat out as much as we enjoyed in the UK.
As far as I'm concerned the lifestyle here outweighs the disadvantages.
The last night out me and my husband had was over 2 years ago so I don’t think we’d be too phased by that 😂 we don’t really drink either, just enjoy days out with the kids, nice holidays.
The worry is that the hubby won’t earn as much in NZ as he does here as bricklaying doesn’t seem to be a trade of highest demand, especially not in Tauranga where I have a job interview for on Monday. He’s the bread winner too like yourself so if we were depending on my wages alone then the move for us may not be worth it. Lots to think about I suppose. Thanks again for the advice.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

The last night out me and my husband had was over 2 years ago so I don’t think we’d be too phased by that 😂 we don’t really drink either, just enjoy days out with the kids, nice holidays.
The worry is that the hubby won’t earn as much in NZ as he does here as bricklaying doesn’t seem to be a trade of highest demand, especially not in Tauranga where I have a job interview for on Monday. He’s the bread winner too like yourself so if we were depending on my wages alone then the move for us may not be worth it. Lots to think about I suppose. Thanks again for the advice.
As I said I moved out here after living in Essex for 4 or 5 years before moving here. my wages are slightly more out here and costs living are about the same.
There pluses and negatives to everything.
I work 6 days here most weeks and its pretty normal 6 day week in construction in NZ. So your guaranteed 6 or 7 days work if you want it.
Back home the tradesman are on alot more money for doing less work. i dont see any price work or day rates or double bubble for overtime. All the jobs are hourly rates here which is rare in the uk. even the subbies in nz are hourly rates. there is no going in to work smashing out your price work. starting at 8 or 8.30am with 2 or 3pm finish. but the basic hourly rate for most jobs is higher.
I find jobs like chippys, brickys, Scaffs and steel erectors get paid more back home for doing alot less work.
I own my own house in Scotland still if I had been living in Scotland in my house and moved out here I think I would have had a heart attack with the costs of living.
If your from up North of England and your hubby is on high wages you will see a massive cost of living difference. It's like you moving down south near London areas and earning the same money as you do now.

Last edited by jarv5116; Aug 10th 2019 at 3:21 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jarv5116
As I said I moved out here after living in Essex for 4 or 5 years before moving here. my wages are slightly more out here and costs living are about the same.
There pluses and negatives to everything.
I work 6 days here most weeks and its pretty normal 6 day week in construction in NZ. So your guaranteed 6 or 7 days work if you want it.
Back home the tradesman are on alot more money for doing less work. i dont see any price work or day rates or double bubble for overtime. All the jobs are hourly rates here which is rare in the uk. even the subbies in nz are hourly rates. there is no going in to work smashing out your price work. starting at 8 or 8.30am with 2 or 3pm finish. but the basic hourly rate for most jobs is higher.
I find jobs like chippys, brickys, Scaffs and steel erectors get paid more back home for doing alot less work.
I own my own house in Scotland still if I had been living in Scotland in my house and moved out here I think I would have had a heart attack with the costs of living.
If your from up North of England and your hubby is on high wages you will see a massive cost of living difference. It's like you moving down south near London areas and earning the same money as you do now.
Thanka for the heads up Jarv. I don’t think it will work for us then if we are financially worse off with 3 children
Old Aug 10th 2019, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really drink much either.
Been to the local pub about twice. Dont really like the pubs here. You don't get pubs out here like back home. It's like 10 or 12 dollars for a pint. The pints are like our half pints aswell.
I find the weather more predictable out here. It's middle of winter and it ain't cold. still like 15 degrees most days. Never freezing like back home. More daylight in winter aswell. gets light at 7am and dark at 1730. You have to be very carefull in the summer with the sun. It's only 25 degrees but fook me the sun burns. Never worn Sun cream in my life till I come here. Iv been to some hot countries in the past.I need put factor 50 on twice a day at work or my ears nose and face or I'm like a lobster.
Most of the stuff in NZ is geared towards outdoor stuff. Beaches and country parks. stuff like fishing and water sports. owning a boat or jet ski. like kayaking and outdoor pursuits.
There ain't no Blackpool and pleasure beach lol.
me and my wife prefer NZ alot more. we have a better lifestyle and life here.
I find NZ alot cleaner with alot more space even in Auckland. It's not all built up like cities in uk. I live in South Auckland. Everyone says its rough. It's like Beverly hills compared to Estates back home honestly.
One thing I was shocked at is how spread out and bleak NZ actually is. You don't really notice it or realise it till your here. if you live in Tauranga. you can't really nip to another town for a change lol. If you live in Auckland you can't just say aw i fancy going somewhere else for a change lol. It's like over a hour to Hamilton or 3 hour drive to Tauranga lol. It's not like back home where there loads towns or cities everywere.
Only thing my wife says she misses is the selection of shops. there not as much choices in NZ. You don't get shops even like Tesco or asda here. I don't care cause im not into shops at all lol
Only thing I miss is Football. The games are on at silly times. Again my wife don't care she ain't into football lol
It's all about Rugby here.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

I don't really drink much either.
Been to the local pub about twice. Dont really like the pubs here. You don't get pubs out here like back home. It's like 10 or 12 dollars for a pint. The pints are like our half pints aswell.
I find the weather more predictable out here. It's middle of winter and it ain't cold. still like 15 degrees most days. Never freezing like back home. More daylight in winter aswell. gets light at 7am and dark at 1730. You have to be very carefull in the summer with the sun. It's only 25 degrees but fook me the sun burns. Never worn Sun cream in my life till I come here. Iv been to some hot countries in the past.I need put factor 50 on twice a day at work or my ears nose and face or I'm like a lobster.
Most of the stuff in NZ is geared towards outdoor stuff. Beaches and country parks. stuff like fishing and water sports. owning a boat or jet ski. like kayaking and outdoor pursuits.
There ain't no Blackpool and pleasure beach lol.
me and my wife prefer NZ alot more. we have a better lifestyle and life here.
I find NZ alot cleaner with alot more space even in Auckland. It's not all built up like cities in uk. I live in South Auckland. Everyone says its rough. It's like Beverly hills compared to Estates back home honestly.
One thing I was shocked at is how spread out and bleak NZ actually is. You don't really notice it or realise it till your here. if you live in Tauranga. you can't really nip to another town for a change lol. If you live in Auckland you can't just say aw i fancy going somewhere else for a change lol. It's like over a hour to Hamilton or 3 hour drive to Tauranga lol. It's not like back home where there loads towns or cities everywere.
Only thing my wife says she misses is the selection of shops. there not as much choices in NZ. You don't get shops even like Tesco or asda here. I don't care cause im not into shops at all lol
Only thing I miss is Football. The games are on at silly times. Again my wife don't care she ain't into football lol
It's all about Rugby here.
Do you work outdoors then Jarv? The lifestyle out there definitely sounds appealing plus the better weather. We are restricted in UK for outdoor activities as you’ll know, it also frustrates me that most parks here have litter everywhere and dog poop, NZ offers a cleaner environment but I think if the numbers don’t add up financially then don’t know if it’ll work out for us. I wouldn’t want to move to the other side of the world and struggle financially
Old Aug 10th 2019, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanka for the heads up Jarv. I don’t think it will work for us then if we are financially worse off with 3 children
Like I said in my first post its very very hard to compare stuff as there so much variables involved with everything. Everyone's lifestyles are different in the UK and NZ and work in different industries and live in different areas. that's before you look at costs of bills ect.
The only way you will know if it suits you and your hubby is to try it.
Its like I drive heavy machinery. Cranes and trucks. This week I find myself learning how to erect steel. never erected steel in my life. All the guys I work with do alot of different stuff. Cranes/Welders/steel erectors/trucks they do like 4 different trades that they have learnt on sites. That's what I was trying say before. If he's worked in construction for a long time. Maybe there won't be work laying bricks 8am till 5pm 6 days a week. but he will get a job with a construction firm and is willing todo other stuff or learn new skills on the job that are very easy transferable with his experience.
My wife was a carer in uk. She's now on double the money as a prison guard in NZ.
Me and my wife prefer NZ.
We both landed on our feet with decent jobs.
Have alot more disposable income in NZ and better lifestyle than we did in Essex. But we both excepted the fact we were going work hard and try make it work before we come here.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Do you work outdoors then Jarv? The lifestyle out there definitely sounds appealing plus the better weather. We are restricted in UK for outdoor activities as you’ll know, it also frustrates me that most parks here have litter everywhere and dog poop, NZ offers a cleaner environment but I think if the numbers don’t add up financially then don’t know if it’ll work out for us. I wouldn’t want to move to the other side of the world and struggle financially
Yeah I work outdoors and its not cold in winter.
The lifestyle and culture is completely different in NZ too. You don't feel out place its not like a fashion parade. but then look in people's gardens most people have huge cars like 4 or 5 litre cars v6 or v8s. a boat or Harley or jet skis in there garden.
with both your experience and jobs I can't see you struggling with work or money. you just have to be realistic before you move.
Some people have a massive shock like a says. They live up North of England or Scotland on decent wages. Then move to NZ live in Auckland which is like our London. Then want to live on northshore which is the most expensive area in Auckland and wonder why they have money issues.
Hamilton is cheaper than Auckland. Few guys I work with travel from Hamilton to Auckland for work it's over a hour away.
My wifes mate lives in Hamilton. She had quite nice house outside Hamilton. was 4 bed house. her rent was only 400 a week.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Like I said in my first post its very very hard to compare stuff as there so much variables involved with everything. Everyone's lifestyles are different in the UK and NZ and work in different industries and live in different areas. that's before you look at costs of bills ect.
The only way you will know if it suits you and your hubby is to try it.
Its like I drive heavy machinery. Cranes and trucks. This week I find myself learning how to erect steel. never erected steel in my life. All the guys I work with do alot of different stuff. Cranes/Welders/steel erectors/trucks they do like 4 different trades that they have learnt on sites. That's what I was trying say before. If he's worked in construction for a long time. Maybe there won't be work laying bricks 8am till 5pm 6 days a week. but he will get a job with a construction firm and is willing todo other stuff or learn new skills on the job that are very easy transferable with his experience.
My wife was a carer in uk. She's now on double the money as a prison guard in NZ.
Me and my wife prefer NZ.
We both landed on our feet with decent jobs.
Have alot more disposable income in NZ and better lifestyle than we did in Essex. But we both excepted the fact we were going work hard and try make it work before we come here.
Have you gone over with young children?
Old Aug 10th 2019, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Have you gone over with young children?
No I don't have kids.
How old are your kids.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

No I don't have kids.
How old are your kids.
we have 3 under 12.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

we have 3 under 12.
Go on Trademe and type in bricklayer or blocklayer.
Email the companies get rough idea of the hours available and rates and work out costs living.
Give you an idea in comparison to your costs back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.