Brickie in Nz

Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future
Default Brickie in Nz

is this a skilled job.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:57 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brickie in Nz

Originally Posted by markraynes
is this a skilled job.
As an English teacher I haven't a clue . . but please don't forget your question marks! Tee hee
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:47 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

is this a skilled job.
Sorry I can not answer the question but I can say that we have several Brit friends here from various backgrounds and a lot of their experience is not recognised in New Zealand.

They have options

Go and re-skill in the same area and to use the example of one of our friends who was a gas fitter for 12 in the UK was not allowed to work in that sector in NZ but had to basically start again as an apprentice, of course for crap money. That is even crappier than the average NZ wages.

When we took up a job in the sector he said that the NZ way of doing things was terrible and was dated, shoddy and would not be acceptable in the UK.

So go figure, perhaps that what New Zealand experience really means.

This particular chap bought a van and some lawn mowing kit and has started his own lawn gutting business. GOOD ON HIM

I can say that the new houses that are being built in our area the brickies all seem to be from Singapore and amazingly can’t speak English. Not sure how that works with the NZIS

Im sure they are cheap labour and from the standard I see, certainly not skilled

Well at least the houses are not cheap

When we were doing our PR application (phew, thank God that is over) there was a skill shortage list available. Have you tried to download that from the NZIS site ?

If you get stuck, I will try to see if I can help
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bricklaying -
is this a skilled job?
Yes.

It is also on the NZIS immediate shortage list. ANZSCO occupation 331111.
You need to show NZIS register level 3 to get points for the trade skill.

Originally Posted by campbells
the brickies all seem to be from Singapore and amazingly can’t speak English. Not sure how that works with the NZIS
For PR they would need to show an IELTS test level .

Originally Posted by campbells
a gas fitter for 12yrs in the UK was not allowed to work in that sector in NZ but had to basically start again as an apprentice
Um. Not strictly correct.
A fully qualified UK gasfitter can work at gasfitting in NZ but would do so under a limited PGDB licence.
If they came to NZ with a job offer, this is the licence that makes it lawful for them to work at the trade here. This also applies to plumbers.
Because of the change to NZIS policy both gasfitters and plumbers are now required to have attained PGDB registration, via a 4 day assessment & exam before PR is granted. $3500. This can only be done in New Zealand. It sucks & I don't know of any other occupation where it is this tough.
However, there is nothing to stop a plumber or a gasfitter coming into NZ , starting a job in the trade under a limited PGDB licence .
Whether NZ as a country and the PGDB deserve these highly qualified & skilled people is a discussion for another thread.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 1st 2008 at 8:19 pm.