Bread

Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:19 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bread

Originally Posted by Genesis
An egg!!! We have a really good Panasonic machine and Kate uses Edmonds red top yeast, an egg, a bit of water and olive oil and a high grade white plain flour. She does the dough in the machine then we let it rise over night and the oven comes on auto matically just before the cheap leccy ends...gorgeous smell, blinding bread and all done on the cheap!!!!

Having said that the machine sometimes does it all but the overnight oven jobbie is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay superior!!
MMmmmmm that sounds nice. I can imagine the egg adds a nice richness to it. I have a panasonic too. Can you not just leave it in on the timer to come on in the morning in time for breakfast?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
MMmmmmm that sounds nice. I can imagine the egg adds a nice richness to it. I have a panasonic too. Can you not just leave it in on the timer to come on in the morning in time for breakfast?
Yes I am sure you can BUT the oven baked bread is sooooooooooooooo much crispier and waaaaaaaaaay yummier!!!! Its more faffing around and less convenient I grant you..but its worth the aggro.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Yes I am sure you can BUT the oven baked bread is sooooooooooooooo much crispier and waaaaaaaaaay yummier!!!! Its more faffing around and less convenient I grant you..but its worth the aggro.
mmmmmmmmmm might have to give that a go ...
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soppydot4
mmmmmmmmmm might have to give that a go ...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmarvelous. Let me know the results!!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmarvelous. Let me know the results!!
LOL - just realised what I'd done
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

An egg!!! We have a really good Panasonic machine and Kate uses Edmonds red top yeast, an egg, a bit of water and olive oil and a high grade white plain flour. She does the dough in the machine then we let it rise over night and the oven comes on auto matically just before the cheap leccy ends...gorgeous smell, blinding bread and all done on the cheap!!!!

Having said that the machine sometimes does it all but the overnight oven jobbie is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay superior!!
Part of the reason why British bread is absolutely terrible (sorry, but it is) is the Chroleywood process they use, compared to the French it has hardly any proving time. So anything that is left overnight, regardless how it is cooked, will taste a lot better. We have a Panasonic and it has programs on that allow for the long proving and the quality of the bread is far, far better than the quick programs.

BTW : the yeast is usually the problem, it is different in the UK. You just need to get the amount right. What I would suggest is trying to get a local manual (maybe from the internet) for your bread machine and use the recipes in there with NZ ingredients and timings, rather than following the UK supplied manual/recipe.

Last edited by sr71; Mar 23rd 2009 at 1:50 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:47 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... preference for bread is obviously personal, but I find bread made if Britain to be delicious and struggle to find bread as nice in other countries. I don't buy the discount bread though which is not so nice. Compare like with like, packaged bread with packaged bread, etc. I have had some pretty awful bread abroad, including in France.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:29 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

sr71, I'm sure they use the Chorleywood method over here on commercial operations. It's so. much cheaper and I think the bread you buy in the shops is simular to that back home.

to the others I've tried some of your methods and the results are the same, (almost). I'm sure it's the yeast. What yeast are you all using?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

i use 'Active dried yeast', brand name 'tasti' but have also used the Edmonds one, I keep it in the fridge.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:14 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

If the yeast experiment doesn't work, try making it the long way by hand to see if your break maker has developed a fault. The only time I have had a problem with mine is when I forget to put the paddle in I'm sure you are not so stupid, but maybe it isn't working properly.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The husband is quite interested in this idea of a bread maker.Bless socks

Out of interest which brand would be the best to buy then & what should we be looking out for in a good one.

I'm not that into domestics and prefer DIY but do try the cake making thing as himself loves cake but can't stand the shop bought stuff here. Says it all tastes like cardboard.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS here
The husband is quite interested in this idea of a bread maker.Bless socks

Out of interest which brand would be the best to buy then & what should we be looking out for in a good one.

I'm not that into domestics and prefer DIY but do try the cake making thing as himself loves cake but can't stand the shop bought stuff here. Says it all tastes like cardboard.

Its the Panasonic thing you want..an SD253 Harv Norm had it for $178 (down from $278)......trademe?? We have had a number..this is waaaaaaaaaay the best. It even has an integral nut and raisin dispenser!!!!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
sr71, I'm sure they use the Chorleywood method over here on commercial operations. It's so. much cheaper and I think the bread you buy in the shops is simular to that back home.
Yes, it's pretty much all tasteless mush. wherever it's made - apart from France and Germany where you seem to get delicious bread everywhere.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Its the Panasonic thing you want..an SD253 Harv Norm had it for $178 (down from $278)......trademe?? We have had a number..this is waaaaaaaaaay the best. It even has an integral nut and raisin dispenser!!!!!!!
Ta for that Genesis. I'll have to see if I can find one . Himself has been mentioning a bread maker now for months.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sparkie down under

to the others I've tried some of your methods and the results are the same, (almost). I'm sure it's the yeast. What yeast are you all using?

I've used Edmonds - "Sure to Rise Instant Dry Yeast Ideal for use in home bread makers".

The only difference in the loaf I made here was that it wasn't crusty but then using flour for soft white bread it won't be will it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.