Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Boy Racers, what's the solution

Boy Racers, what's the solution

Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Boy Racers, what's the solution

Well I am packing my bags and I am I am heading back to Wellington from Christchurch, although I will mis some things, one thing I will not miss is the boy racers.

They seem to get worse all the time, I see they are closing roads will this help? I just can't stand them, they are dangerous, arrogant and wreckless.

I feel scared everytime I step out side, I have even considered leaving work early so I can pick my partner up from school. Luckily one of her friends parents give her a lift now.

Does Wellington have the same problems?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Boy Racers, what's the solution

Originally Posted by bro69
Well I am packing my bags and I am I am heading back to Wellington from Christchurch, although I will mis some things, one thing I will not miss is the boy racers.

They seem to get worse all the time, I see they are closing roads will this help? I just can't stand them, they are dangerous, arrogant and wreckless.

I feel scared everytime I step out side, I have even considered leaving work early so I can pick my partner up from school. Luckily one of her friends parents give her a lift now.

I live in Christchurch, and I have never felt like this. Sure it is annoying, and the kids need to grow up, and the licensing laws are ridiculous - but picking up someone from work to avoid them??? I think you must be in a different part of ChCh to me. I live in Beckenham, work in Hornby, my OH works at the hospital.

Good luck in Wellie, it is a lovely city! Heaps of stuff to do, and you can't beat Wellington on a good day

Go on Mcuddy - you know you want to comment on this one, I think this is one of your bugbears... =)

Last edited by Apple13; Jun 21st 2007 at 10:49 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

groucho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,sorry can't help you with the question of whether Wellington has a prob with boy racers as we live in Auckland,but just wanted to share some of my own thoghts as its such a problem here.
Unfortunately we have 'just kids' being allowed to drive with all those hormones racing around their bodies! We know what its like for our young people in the UK when they first take to the road and pass their test, it's all a bit of a thrill!
I can't quite get my head around the fact that you can drive at 15 - I wouldn't let my teens drive at such a young age, kids at this age can take such risks which a slightly older person would have the maturity to stop and think. But then we have to look at the culture differences too.
This is probably been going on for a long time when the roads weren't so busy as they are today.
I strongly feel that if they changed the law to having a legal age of 18 to drive then that may help the situation. Although you will still get these youngsters in their cars illegally - we have probs like that in the UK with 12 yr olds stealing cars and doing their joy riding.
Its a great concern when you think at the speed they are travelling at, we have a regular outside our own doorstep but its usually at night when it happens.
Well I suppose we would have other problems if it wasn't boy racers.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:53 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

There are boy-racers in Wellington but it doesn't seem to be on the same scale as Christchurch.

The problem is, as mentioned above, that they are young and often driving quite powerful cars. They seem to have no sense of danger/responsibility/risk to others.

What to do about it is a really difficult question...
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

We have the odd one or two here in WGTN but I don't think I've seen such large gatherings as we see on the news in CHCH. I can think of only one place where they gather and that's at Melling just off SH2 at Lower Hutt. I'm pretty sure that's policed though occasionally. Things maybe be different over the Haywards in Porirua though. As a biker, I do tend to get the odd low slung Subaru with a hoodied lad sunk low in the driving seat, all his mates in the back, loud booming stereo, phat exhaust etc, goading me at traffic lights. It's actually more satisfying to let them hoon away and have there moment of glory. Plonkers! hehe.

Also, as a biker, I'm very disturbed to see the practice of smearing the road with diesel to facilitate burn outs etc.

The solution? Boy Racer Track days at race circuits may help.
I agree on the 15year old driving age being bloody daft if you ask me!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple13
I live in Christchurch, and I have never felt like this. Sure it is annoying, and the kids need to grow up, and the licensing laws are ridiculous - but picking up someone from work to avoid them??? I think you must be in a different part of ChCh to me. I live in Beckenham, work in Hornby, my OH works at the hospital.

Good luck in Wellie, it is a lovely city! Heaps of stuff to do, and you can't beat Wellington on a good day

Go on Mcuddy - you know you want to comment on this one, I think this is one of your bugbears... =)
OK Apple 13
I will comment. It is engrained into society here even middle aged people drive round with loud exhausts proving they do not grow out of it. So re-educating the the natives is the only option. I reckon there is no chance of this.
Drink driving seems acceptable to some people here and the Police presence is low key. I reckon they don't have the will or manpower to address the situation.
You can go on & on but the lower social areas do suffer more. When I was knocked of my bike recently one of the locals at the scene advised me not to cycle that way to work as the area was full of trash. Only she put it in a more colorful way.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dicknlyn
The solution? Boy Racer Track days at race circuits may help.
This is a good idea and was put forward by a self-confessed boy racer that my husband had working with him as a plumbers apprentice. His vehicle , which he always drives at top speed, has one of those hair dryer affairs on the bonnet and is slung just off the tarmac.
He and his friends have actually approached the council about race circuit nights but was told that the issue wasn't the circuit itself but health and safety . St Johns etc would need to be present as well as adults .
There is a problem with boy racers in certain areas of Nelson as I expect there will be in most towns. You get to know their fave corners and stretches of road by the tyre burns.

My own thoughts are that NZ needs to raise the legal age to drive & also to make insurance compulsary.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:17 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Ban all cars I say! All you fat lazy arse-addicted-to-car-seat gits need the exercise.
More shoe shops and less car yards!

I'll be forming a new political party next year called something catchy I'm sure as soon as I think of something to call it. Be sure to tick the box next to my as yet unnamed political party next year. I look forward to your support.

Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:22 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

They have started crushing them here in L.A. I watched the news last night and two boy racers cars were crushed for the TV camera's. One former owner watched (apparently they have the legal right to be present). He said how he had spent $7,000 'tricking it out'.
Just two cars off the streets, but a powerful message was sent.

Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I like that crushing idea. Nah ! Actually I love it.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
OK Apple 13
I will comment. It is engrained into society here even middle aged people drive round with loud exhausts proving they do not grow out of it. So re-educating the the natives is the only option. I reckon there is no chance of this.
Drink driving seems acceptable to some people here and the Police presence is low key. I reckon they don't have the will or manpower to address the situation.
You can go on & on but the lower social areas do suffer more. When I was knocked of my bike recently one of the locals at the scene advised me not to cycle that way to work as the area was full of trash. Only she put it in a more colorful way.
I do enjoy the contrast of the posts that you and I write, Mcuddy. It is a clear example of glass-half-full vs glass-half empty You would never guess that we both live in the same town.

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:47 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

The 'boy racer' problem in ChCh is not a new one.

A colleague of DH is in his 40s and confesses to 'hooning' around Catherdral Square in his teens. He reckons that he used to get pulled outta his car by the police in those days & given a clip round the earhle and told not to come back

We're in Blenheim, which is relatively small in comparisn but still have a problem with the hoons at night.

I love watching them drive through town during the day though, cos they've all got lowered suspension and the cobbles are raised in the middle of town. Such a shame the damage done, NOT!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by happynz
Ban all cars I say! All you fat lazy arse-addicted-to-car-seat gits need the exercise.
More shoe shops and less car yards!

I'll be forming a new political party next year called something catchy I'm sure as soon as I think of something to call it. Be sure to tick the box next to my as yet unnamed political party next year. I look forward to your support.

Call your political party "something catchy" or the something catchy party, I'm sure once the 16 year olds are allowed to vote they won't be putting a tick in your box.

With regard to drink driving sometimes it is neccessary I have had occassions where I have been far too drunk to walk.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

With regard to drink driving sometimes it is neccessary I have had occassions where I have been far too drunk to walk.
I am hoping you have just missed out the "I am joking" emoticon?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:40 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

The race track idea has been tried here in ChCh as we have Ruapuna Raceway just outside of town. Apparently it was too 'structured' and boy racers who couldn't (no money for fuel), or wouldn't (vehicle not deemed 'safe' by the organisers) go on the track, made a nuicance of themselves at the entrance and on the roads to and from. Complaints form those residents affected soon saw it end.

Manditory Fully Comp Insurance would be a good start - as it has in the UK this would price many out of the whole scene.

There's only so many mods you can make to a Toyota Starlet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.