Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Boy racers, is it a big problem?

Boy racers, is it a big problem?

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of
Default Re: Boy racers, is it a big problem?

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a biker....just someone who managed to pass their test and rode for a while after passing. I've not been on a bike for 15 years but I appreciate the extra precautions bikers have to take and I also tend to be rather "observant" when on the roads probably due to the times that I did spend on a bike.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:45 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
I wouldn't necessarily call myself a biker....just someone who managed to pass their test and rode for a while after passing. I've not been on a bike for 15 years but I appreciate the extra precautions bikers have to take and I also tend to be rather "observant" when on the roads probably due to the times that I did spend on a bike.
Yes it would be a complete godsend if prospective drivers had to spend time on two wheels... Mine was no choice....all I could afford for work travel.. In Italy the moped riding age is 14 and the car driving age is 18..
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

I actually passed my car test way before I done my bike test which is probably why I never really got into biking.

Most of the people I know who started out on bikes tend to make very good drivers............but how do we explain the Greeks, Spaniards and Italians who seem to be on 2 wheels from the age of 10 despite what their rules state.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:34 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Forget the simple little 3/4 exit islands and think 6/7 exits...
Not many of those here, overwhelming majority are 4-way...
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Aidy and Clare
Very kind of you, I will do.
I'll also be in touch when I have something to bribe my wife with to let me jump out of a plane
I arranged to have my husband jump out of a plane without telling him first.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:54 pm
`

Originally Posted by stormer
Forget the simple little 3/4 exit islands and think 6/7 exits...
I take your point. Forgot about those. All we have are 4 way jobs and I've seen folks shoot over those.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Another question, but how come these Subaru cars are so popular? Surely they are expensive to buy and run? And if food and general cost of living is so high, where does the money come from.
I really dont know the answer to that question. I think Subarus are horrible cars - not good to look at, not good to drive. But apparently, if you modify the exhaust they are seriously loud and this gives the average kiwi teenager (and sad middle aged Greg Murphy wannabe ) a tiny bit of a woody I think.

I mean, the whole culture is pathetic.

As for where the money comes from another good question.

I look forward to my next trip abroad and if I encounter ANYTHING like what goes down in NZ, then I will sure tell you about it.

There are cars down the end of my road that would wake the dead if they did 50kph and the bloody speed limit is 100kph anywhere in NZ.

The country is full of immature little tossers
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:31 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
I really dont know the answer to that question. I think Subarus are horrible cars - not good to look at, not good to drive. But apparently, if you modify the exhaust they are seriously loud and this gives the average kiwi teenager (and sad middle aged Greg Murphy wannabe ) a tiny bit of a woody I think.
With the right exhaust they sound nice, IMHO. But generally that is the factory exhaust. The boxer engine has an interesting sound and I do like it.
But like any NZ teenager's car all they want is droning, deep booming noises which just sound horrible.
And I'm told they drink fuel and are a pig to maintain.
But Colin Macrae (RIP) won lots of rallies in his, which made it cool.

I mean, the whole culture is pathetic.
No comment

As for where the money comes from another good question.
It's all on HP apparently!

I look forward to my next trip abroad and if I encounter ANYTHING like what goes down in NZ, then I will sure tell you about it.
Japan has a massive modified car culture, as does the US. And the Arabs. To name but three

There are cars down the end of my road that would wake the dead if they did 50kph and the bloody speed limit is 100kph anywhere in NZ.

The country is full of immature little tossers
Yes.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:29 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

They do drink fuel, but then so does my V8 which I am trying to offload ...

For the kids the money comes from the Bank of Mum and Dad

But I actually think they're quite cool for kids to be seen in. I don't know why you take such exception to them, and them alone, when there are Skylines, Celica's and Familia's also that the kids crave ...
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Have been reading a lot about boy racers and them being a problem in NZ.
But how bad is the problem really?
We are hoping to move to Taruanga, so anyone who lives near there I would love to know your opinion on the issue.

Cheers
Hi

We aren't in Taruanga we are north shore auckland, however no problem near us. Although for some reason drivers in general are on the most part pretty bad! IMO. pulling out, crossing lanes, driving v close behind, and generaly not paying much attention to the road.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookie2b
Hi

We aren't in Taruanga we are north shore auckland, however no problem near us. Although for some reason drivers in general are on the most part pretty bad! IMO. pulling out, crossing lanes, driving v close behind, and generaly not paying much attention to the road.
I think being 'desperate to be first' is a genetic trait- of Kiwis, not altogether bad, unless you share the same pavement eg; Lambton Quay' in Wellington at lunch time, or are travelling on the same stretch of narrow highway anywhere in NZ!
I've come toaccept it now and think how lucky I am, that I have all the time in the world and don't need to ride up the arse of the bloke in front.

There again they maybe dirt poor and are ridng the slipstream of the bloke infront to save money on gas!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jennifer45
I think being 'desperate to be first' is a genetic trait- of Kiwis, not altogether bad, unless you share the same pavement eg; Lambton Quay' in Wellington at lunch time, or are travelling on the same stretch of narrow highway anywhere in NZ!
I've come toaccept it now and think how lucky I am, that I have all the time in the world and don't need to ride up the arse of the bloke in front.

There again they maybe dirt poor and are ridng the slipstream of the bloke infront to save money on gas!!
ha h i love it i think your entirely right! The thing that makes me nervous is they are on the most part bangers that are prob not insured! eeek!

x
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:58 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I take your point. Forgot about those. All we have are 4 way jobs and I've seen folks shoot over those.
Thats one of the reasons we want to come.........
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Another question, but how come these Subaru cars are so popular?
Subarus are popular partly due to the 'halo effect' of their top models - like the Impreza STI, which is obviously a street version of the rally car (although they really share very little in terms of parts etc). $40k+ brand new for cars that take on, and in some cases beat, Porsches and the like. They are very popular amongst the modding scene in Japan and movies like The Fast And Furious only contribute to their popularity.

They are actually very good cars, excellent roadholding, 4WD and pretty tough/reliable which makes them very suitable to NZ roads. Used to market them quite a bit as good vehicles to escape to the snow and mountains in - so there is another aspect of why they are popular. They will never win any beauty contests though.

The irony is that many of these loud exhausts fitted to the basic models will actually decrease their performance.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:32 am
`

Originally Posted by Stormer999
That's one of the reasons we want to come.........
You wanna shoot straight over roundabouts without looking.

D'y'know what? Couldn't care less about cars unless they are disturbing my peace. Quite like super bikes still , although I'd cream meself these days.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 5th 2011 at 5:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.