Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Boy racers, is it a big problem?

Boy racers, is it a big problem?

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:47 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boy racers, is it a big problem?

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Simple to teach at islands......you signal the direction you want to go.....so if you are intending to go straight on then you indicate right to show that you are not going to take the 1st exit left then signal left to show you are exiting left, if not you continue signal right until your exit when you signal left. I do not think the UK has even 10% of road users that know or care to abide by this simple rule of thumb.....
That's ridiculous - if you're going right you indicate right. If you're going straight you don't indicate until you get to your exit, when you indicate left to say you're leaving the roundabout.

Indicating right to say you're not going left is counter-intuitive and just interrupts traffic flow.

Last edited by RobClubley; Feb 3rd 2011 at 7:50 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Simple to teach at islands......you signal the direction you want to go.....so if you are intending to go straight on then you indicate right to show that you are not going to take the 1st exit left then signal left to show you are exiting left, if not you continue signal right until your exit when you signal left. I do not think the UK has even 10% of road users that know or care to abide by this simple rule of thumb.....
Sorry but in the UK you should only signal right if your taking an exit to the right or going full circle, if your going straight ahead you shouldn't signal at all. And, just because the poor use of signals bugs me so much...taken from the Highway code

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
* keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
* keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
* you should not normally need to signal on approach
* stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout

From the NZ Road Code...

If you are going 'straight' through a roundabout:

* don't signal as you come up to the roundabout
* signal left as you pass the exit before the one you wish to take. At some small roundabouts it may not be possible to give three seconds warning, but it is courteous to give as much indication as you can.

*climbing back down off my soapbox*
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aidy and Clare
Wow, pretty strong opinion there.
Are you still living in NZ? To be honest though, with regards to the noise issue, depending on where you live in the UK you come across this quite a bit too. I do, however, see the 15 age limit as a problem.
It is interesting that some people have no problem whatsoever with "boy racers" (by that I mean people doughnutting etc) and others do.

When we do eventually move we will be renting for a while, hopefully not near the main town of Tauranga. But at least with renting it gives us the option of moving easier than if we buy.
Still living in NZ, but I would certainly never have left UK if Id known what it was like. There are plenty of places in UK Id never move to, but there are plenty of places miles better than NZ.

Admittedly I havent lived in Uk for 8 years but have been back regularly and where I go is nothing like anywhere in NZ. In fact you go to Australia Singapore US, Hong Kong France anywhere God its a blessed relief to be somewhere where boy racer isnt the dominant culture. Where I come from in UK if someone parked up one of these boy racer noise bombs in the street it would have been demolished by the morning, people wouldnt put up with the unsocial sh*t that it demonstrated here.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

And you ride a motorbike? Thank goodness less than 10% of the UK use this "rule of thumb" and use the Highway Code instead.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nope.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I often think when these threads come up that I must either be living in a completely different country called New Zealand than the rest of you (quite possible) or my driving must be shite (again quite possible.) Because I don't see this awful driving and I don't really witness terrible boy racer issues.

Oh and my 15 year old daughter inherited her 18 year old sister's Subaru Impressme that is modified by older sister, fully insured and about to be sold as she can't afford to run it ... She has been driving for 11months and never had a fine or ticket ...
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Aidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really nice

Another question, but how come these Subaru cars are so popular? Surely they are expensive to buy and run? And if food and general cost of living is so high, where does the money come from.

By the way Browner, people in the UK certainly would not "demolish" a car overnight. People are too scared to say boo to a 12-year-old in case they get the life beaten out of them by the all their other friends standing on the corner. (Yes, slight over exaggeration there, but the point is things are much different in the UK now than they were.

Point, a recent story from last year. A teenage girl "happy slaps" a grandfather in the street, in front of his three-year-old granddaughter, he cracks his head on the ground and dies a week later . She gets 4 and a half years. Likely to be out in 2. This is a common thing now in the UK and one of the reasons we want to move away. Disgusting.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:56 am

Another question, but how come these Subaru cars are so popular? Surely they are expensive to buy and run? And if food and general cost of living is so high, where does the money come from.
Subaru's are popular because the kids love them. If the kids love them then they want them. Unless I'm oversimplifying? They're not that expensive to buy but they are expensive to run. Hence my daughter getting rid of her sisters. I can only explain how my daughter got one, because we bought it for her for her birthday. I've nothing against them personally. And both my girls have always had insurance and never had a ticket. Although it is a bit of a cop magnet ... but that could be the numberplate.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Aidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really niceAidy and Clare is just really nice

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Subaru's are popular because the kids love them. If the kids love them then they want them. Unless I'm oversimplifying? They're not that expensive to buy but they are expensive to run. Hence my daughter getting rid of her sisters. I can only explain how my daughter got one, because we bought it for her for her birthday. I've nothing against them personally. And both my girls have always had insurance and never had a ticket. Although it is a bit of a cop magnet ... but that could be the numberplate.

Nothing to do with your reply but "Tandem Skydiving"?
Do you do that regularly and how much is it?
I would love to do that, but my wife would kill me (if I landed safely back on the ground that is)
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:03 am

Nothing to do with your reply but "Tandem Skydiving"?
Do you do that regularly and how much is it?
I would love to do that, but my wife would kill me (if I landed safely back on the ground that is)
Hell no ... It's my friend's business and I have 2 mates doing it in the next couple of weeks. It's been running for 19 years and never had an accident.

By the way, when you find a rental you like let me know the street and I'll give you a verdict!! They vary immensely.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
In fact you go to Australia Singapore US, Hong Kong France anywhere God its a blessed relief to be somewhere where boy racer isnt the dominant culture. Where I come from in UK if someone parked up one of these boy racer noise bombs in the street it would have been demolished by the morning, people wouldnt put up with the unsocial sh*t that it demonstrated here.
You are living in a parallel world I think. I concede that NZ has more shit-heap cars in general, the lack of compulsory insurance is wrong - but in general the boy-racer problem is entirely comparable to Australia or the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hell no ... It's my friend's business and I have 2 mates doing it in the next couple of weeks. It's been running for 19 years and never had an accident.

By the way, when you find a rental you like let me know the street and I'll give you a verdict!! They vary immensely.
Very kind of you, I will do.
I'll also be in touch when I have something to bribe my wife with to let me jump out of a plane
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:43 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
And you ride a motorbike? Thank goodness less than 10% of the UK use this "rule of thumb" and use the Highway Code instead.
Yes Leither it's because I ride a motorbike!

* you should not normally need to signal on approach* stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout

The emphasis is to remove any ambiguity as to my intensions, any vehicle waiting to join the island traffic flow will receive the clear indicated message as to wether my bike is turning left or carrying round to the next exit by the signal use. A none signal does not make a very precise message. As soon as I join a multi exit traffic island the right turn indicator will not make too much sense to traffic not knowing where I joined that island hence all of the exits after exit one may be to the waiting vehicle an intermediate. Forget the simple little 3/4 exit islands and think 6/7 exits where overpasses block your view to joining vehicles then the signal technique changes focus.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Yes Leither it's because I ride a motorbike!

* you should not normally need to signal on approach* stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout

The emphasis is to remove any ambiguity as to my intensions, any vehicle waiting to join the island traffic flow will receive the clear indicated message as to wether my bike is turning left or carrying round to the next exit by the signal use. A none signal does not make a very precise message. As soon as I join a multi exit traffic island the right turn indicator will not make too much sense to traffic not knowing where I joined that island hence all of the exits after exit one may be to the waiting vehicle an intermediate. Forget the simple little 3/4 exit islands and think 6/7 exits where overpasses block your view to joining vehicles then the signal technique changes focus.

Ah well, not quite Highway Code but it probably makes sense if you're on a bike due to being a bit more vulnerable.

I may actually have been given this tip when I was doing my bike test but tbh can't remember as I never really got into biking after passing my test.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:15 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither

Ah well, not quite Highway Code but it probably makes sense if you're on a bike due to being a bit more vulnerable.

I may actually have been given this tip when I was doing my bike test but tbh can't remember as I never really got into biking after passing my test.
Leither we are both bikers and you will now exactly what I mean when I say not only do we have to ride safely but we have to make up for other road users bad driving and unattention and that means using all of the tricks in the box. Unfortunately the Highway Code only really encompasses what road users need to pass their basic driving test so it makes statements but does not explain them, like when approaching a traffic island it says chose the appropriate lane but I don't think it explains which lane i.e left lane for exits up to 180deg and right lane for over 180deg etc....

NZ is a bikers paradise......let me get at it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.