Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Boy racer issue - getting serious

Boy racer issue - getting serious

Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:43 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Boy racer issue - getting serious

If any kiwi isn't going to admit we have problems in NZ then they need a reality check. But our PROBLEMS are not as severe as the problems in other countries.

You tend to highlight the problems which you think are major whereby I think the majority of kiwi's would say whats the big deal unless it affecting them personally, but this could be in the kiwi makeup.

NZ being touted as the Garden of Eden has more to do with the clean outdoor activities which are available, our scenery is second to none in which the tourist board will jump on to sell to people.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:47 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
Hmmmm.....I can understand why Kiwis love him.....

(He is, God help us, the most famous Kiwi in the world now that Edmund Hillary is dead)

.....but he ought to have been taken out and shot for 'King Kong', let's be honest here.
Actually I liked King Kong exccept maybe 2 scenes. He introduced us to the characters instead of jumping into the action, in that way we understand why Kong was so special to Darrow and Denham. Also this was his baby, the 1933 version got him started into filmmaking.

Really interested to see how he's going to do The Lovely Bones
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
If any kiwi isn't going to admit we have problems in NZ then they need a reality check. But our PROBLEMS are not as severe as the problems in other countries.

You tend to highlight the problems which you think are major whereby I think the majority of kiwi's would say whats the big deal unless it affecting them personally, but this could be in the kiwi makeup.

NZ being touted as the Garden of Eden has more to do with the clean outdoor activities which are available, our scenery is second to none in which the tourist board will jump on to sell to people.
But isnt that the problem??? The fact that kiwis don't think that there are problems is the problem? how will anything ever get sorted out if people adopt the attitude that as long as it doesn't affect them???
I live in the UK again, have never seen drug crime, the only crime in my town is the occasional car envy (keying of nice cars by kids) and maybe someone might kick a dog or something. Our NHS in the area we are in is really great and the schools are good too. BUT this does not stop me worrying about the things that go on in the UK. There are many many problems that terrify me. I think that there are just as many problems in NZ but as you pointed out, no one really cares. If it is not happening to them, Kiwi's don't care. Terrible isn't it.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:52 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Really interested to see how he's going to do The Lovely Bones
Probably another 4 and a half hour CGI tech demo, judging by recent form.....:curse:
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:54 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
Hmmmm.....I can understand why Kiwis love him.....

(He is, God help us, the most famous Kiwi in the world now that Edmund Hillary is dead)

.....but he ought to have been taken out and shot for 'King Kong', let's be honest here.
Hey,

That's cruel

Community service you mean

I thought King Kong was deep

I think the story was written by an Italian living in Japan
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:57 am
Winter hibernator

Originally Posted by Lexylou
But isnt that the problem??? The fact that kiwis don't think the problems are the problem as it doesn't affect them???
I live in the UK again, have never seen drug crime, the only crime in my town is the occasional car envy (keying of nice cars by kids) and maybe someone might kick a dog or something. Our NHS in the area we are in is really great and the schools are good too. BUT this does not stop me worrying about the things that go on in the UK. There are many many problems that terrify me. I think that there are just as many problems in NZ but as you pointed out, no one really cares. If it is not happening to them, Kiwi's don't care. Terrible isn't it.
So, in the words of Mr Campbells, what can be done about the issues in the UK. Are you about to make a stand or are you just going to do nothing about like the millions of other Brits. As you say "Terrible isn't it" but it happens and nothing appears to get done about it and because of that people tend to ignore/ not care about it.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:59 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Reality check - yes

NZ = 4 million people

UK =
USA = & so on & so on

So in respect of it's size & population New Zealand probably has got bigger problems than the UK mate

A statistic I don't have is how many of the NZ poulation are actually Kiwis
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:01 am
Winter hibernator

Originally Posted by Campbells
A statistic I don't have is how many of the NZ poulation are actually Kiwis
Now that would be a very interesting statistic !!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:08 am
Banned

So, in the words of Mr Campbells, what can be done about the issues in the UK. Are you about to make a stand or are you just going to do nothing about like the millions of other Brits. As you say "Terrible isn't it" but it happens and nothing appears to get done about it and because of that people tend to ignore/ not care about it.
Mate,

Incase you didn't notice I also left the UK.

I live in New Zealand.

No I don't think UK folk ignore the problems, hop over to the returning to UK forum.

You are trying to switch channel now

As I said earlier, it is known that there are problems in the UK , by comparison most folk in New Zealand try to make out this place has no problems or issues.

Just have a look at this forum as a blatant example

Every time someone says there is a problem in New Zealand they are blasted by the Sweet As brigade
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:16 am
Winter hibernator

Mate,

Incase you didn't notice I also left the UK.

I live in New Zealand.

No I don't think UK folk ignore the problems, hop over to the returning to UK forum.

You are trying to switch channel now

As I said earlier, it is known that there are problems in the UK , by comparison most folk in New Zealand try to make out this place has no problems or issues.

Just have a look at this forum as a blatant example

Every time someone says there is a problem in New Zealand they are blasted by the Sweet As brigade

But depends on how big the issue is......

Drug dealing at your kids school or boy racers on Sat nights
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:25 am
Banned

But depends on how big the issue is......

Drug dealing at your kids school or boy racers on Sat nights

Another channel switch tactic

Wat ya saying now mate ?

No drugs in New Zealand

In the UK I can go to the pub and say "I'm off for a pee"
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Another channel switch tactic

Wat ya saying now mate ?

No drugs in New Zealand

In the UK I can go to the pub and say "I'm off for a pee"
There is a huge drug problem in Scotland but my personal opinion is that it is worse in parts of NZ. The kind of drugs (P for example) simply terrify me.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:39 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Okay,

Helen Clark's attitude

You happy now

Obviously there is no solution you can see, because you aint seeing mate

You need to read the content of the threads, not just select my part of it

Are you by any chance struggling to keep up with the pace here ?

I mean this was all covered about 12 topics back.

You’re not still running Win 98 are you
a) learn to quote properly
b) don't get personal
c) don't tell me what to do
d) and stop with the bullying sound bites

I've tried having a reasoned debate with you, and not because I have the opposite view to you or anything (because if you cared to listen to me you might find our views are not so different on this particular topic), but because I genuinely want to understand what the issue really is, and how it can be rectified.

Anyway, for the first time in about 4 years I'm going to employ a certain feature on BE that I never thought I'd need again. Nice knowing you...and good luck to you.

Last edited by southerner; Mar 11th 2008 at 9:59 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:48 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a huge drug problem in Scotland but my personal opinion is that it is worse in parts of NZ. The kind of drugs (P for example) simply terrify me.
Someone we know recently returned to see family in NZ and to sort out some issues with a house he's renting out over there.

We he arrived he found the locks had been changed and cannabis plants growing outside, when he checked out the shed he found a P lab. Naturally he called the police but unfortunately fell under suspicion when they wanted to know the nature of his relationship with his tenant.

This was in Dunedin.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:54 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

But isnt that the problem??? The fact that kiwis don't think that there are problems is the problem? how will anything ever get sorted out if people adopt the attitude that as long as it doesn't affect them???
But if you watch the news every night, most of it is about problems. Most of the debate in parliament is about problems, all around the country public meetings are held because disaffected people have an issue with something and want to take direct action to fix it. People get petitions going (I've probably signed about 3 in the last year), there are marches on parliament, there are private members bills, there are plenty of party sponsored legislation passed every year. There are think tanks, Government departments have policy units, more spending is prioritised into police, education, health, roading, public transport. Local governments get voted in or out based on local issues. Public opinion polls show kiwis have concerns about various issues, be it crime, inequitable wealth, politicians behaviour, youth behaviour, the economy, whatever. The so-called Brain Drain is in the news daily. Every road death, rape or murder is reported ad infinitum. If 4-5 murders happen in a two week period (as at the beginning of January) then the media is all over it and everyone cries that society is getting more violent, and tougher sentences or even capital punishment is required.

None of the above looks like a country ignoring its problems. And because some people say that on balance the pros of living in NZ outweigh the negatives for them, that does not make them wrong, and does not mean that the issues are forgotten either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.