British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bottled Gas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bottled-gas-826939/)

snaps Feb 26th 2014 10:16 pm

Bottled Gas

Anyone have any thoughts on using these instead of mains piped gas. Just pricing up costings as hardly use mains gas and still get a daily charge which mounts up over the year.

MrsFychan Feb 26th 2014 11:02 pm

Re: Bottled Gas

we have to use them as we do not have piped gas where we live. we pay a yearly rental for the bottles and then have them replaced when they are empty. There is a indicator to let you know.

rental is approx $100 a year then $97 per bottle replacement

Stormer999 Feb 27th 2014 1:00 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11150132)
we have to use them as we do not have piped gas where we live. we pay a yearly rental for the bottles and then have them replaced when they are empty. There is a indicator to let you know.

Is that $100 for the pair of bottles and do you have an automatic change over valve ? I ask because my chimney is still intact and I am thinking of installing a gas fire in the living room that is not used too often in winter.

Jan n Neil Feb 27th 2014 1:41 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11150132)

We are the same but i,m not sure what prices we pay, we are with OnGas and the service is spot on can,t fault them :thumbup:

We have had a gas boiler fitted for the showers and the bills are way cheaper than electric

Neil

bearskin Feb 27th 2014 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 11150267)
We have had a gas boiler fitted for the showers and the bills are way cheaper than electric

I'd agree with that. And we are on main Gas, which I believe is even cheaper than Bottled?

snaps Feb 27th 2014 2:42 am

Daily charge with Genesis of $1.32 and used no gas in last 30 days. So an expensive method of NOT using gas it seems.

MrsFychan Feb 27th 2014 4:39 am

$100 is for the pair and yes automatic change over

BEVS Feb 27th 2014 4:43 am

What size are the bottles , what are they used for and how long do they last.

MrsFychan Feb 27th 2014 5:12 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11150347)
What size are the bottles

errr big ones

what are they used for
Hot water only

and how long do they last
roughly 5 weeks a bottle, I do have a teenage daughter

BEVS Feb 27th 2014 5:53 am

I'm wanting gas - for cooking at least - but the only option is bottles and I am wary of the costs as it is a bit of a monopoly.

bearskin Feb 27th 2014 9:26 pm

Is it possible to get a hob hooked up to a BBQ size bottle? Would that free up the refilling options?

MrsFychan Feb 27th 2014 9:42 pm

a couple of people I know run a gas cooker of the BBQ sized gas bottles. they just need to be vented correctly or outside.

SLH Feb 27th 2014 9:48 pm

I believe it is possible, I have a few friends who have gas cookers on 7kg bottles and just fill them at the petrol station.

We run hot water and central heating from 45kg bottles. During the summer months with no central heating on one bottle lasts us 8 weeks. During the winter we use one bottle per fortnight for both hot water and central heating. Rental for the two bottles per year is about $97. This year will be a good tester for us as we are now fully double glazed UPVC and fully insulated roof space and under the house. :thumbsup::fingerscrossed::

Jan n Neil Feb 27th 2014 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by SLH (Post 11151523)
I believe it is possible, I have a few friends who have gas cookers on 7kg bottles and just fill them at the petrol station.

that's what we do - they last AGES when just used for cooking.

Jan

TommyLuck Feb 27th 2014 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 11151504)
Is it possible to get a hob hooked up to a BBQ size bottle? Would that free up the refilling options?

Yes.

I have a 9kg bottle on my WeberQ and the same thing again on my hob (they kind of back each other up too).

They cost $40 to refill at BP. The bottle it's self cost $60. So a $100 layout initially.

We use the hob most mornings and evenings and are still on the first full bottle over 6 months after moving in.