Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Boring question about suet

Boring question about suet

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring question about suet

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Very cute!
Sarah that yellow bucket with the lip on it looks liek a proper UK horse water bucket. Have you noticed they feed and water their animals out of teh strangest things here (and in Oz) usually old Resene paint buckets.
LOL.... youre right the buckets are from the UK.... can choose any colour you want and theyre really cheap to buy and last for years. My arab drank out of pink and yellow buckets.... poor chap.

I had a job finding a proper feed manger here for my horse.... dunno why... I ended up getting him a wide manger with string handles... I used to have the recycled tyre ones at home that were supposed to be indestructable... they were called kangaroo feed skips... not seen anything like that here.

I do notice some odd horsey things here but I'm in a really good livery yard... things are done properly or youre told to leave.

I'm hopefully off to buy my shreddo tomorrow. Poor old willmore... fancy never having eaten dumplings or jam roly poly?!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SarahB
LOL.... youre right the buckets are from the UK.... can choose any colour you want and theyre really cheap to buy and last for years. My arab drank out of pink and yellow buckets.... poor chap.

I had a job finding a proper feed manger here for my horse.... dunno why... I ended up getting him a wide manger with string handles... I used to have the recycled tyre ones at home that were supposed to be indestructable... they were called kangaroo feed skips... not seen anything like that here.

I do notice some odd horsey things here but I'm in a really good livery yard... things are done properly or youre told to leave.

I'm hopefully off to buy my shreddo tomorrow. Poor old willmore... fancy never having eaten dumplings or jam roly poly?!

I have eaten dumplings though - they were called perogies made by my polish grandmother - only she used bacon fat - cant remember she ever calling it suet though.....!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Ok, I'm sorry to bring this subject up again, but did anyone try make dumplings with 'shreddo'? I did and they were horrible! They tasted of lard and i could smell the fat from the bottom of the street! Haven't come across any suet in Wellington yet, anybody found some? I soooooooo miss dumplings with my stew!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Winnie
Ok, I'm sorry to bring this subject up again, but did anyone try make dumplings with 'shreddo'? I did and they were horrible! They tasted of lard and i could smell the fat from the bottom of the street! Haven't come across any suet in Wellington yet, anybody found some? I soooooooo miss dumplings with my stew!
Hi Winnie

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like your dumplings made with Shreddo - I made them about 2 weeks ago and they were the most delicious dumplings I have ever made. Did you use the same amount of ingredients that you would have used with suet? I did any they came out fine, I must admit.

My mum has a friend who makes her dumplings without any fat at all and I keep asking for the recipe but so far haven't got it. I'll email her again tonight and see if I can get it.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Off2NZ
Hi Winnie

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like your dumplings made with Shreddo - I made them about 2 weeks ago and they were the most delicious dumplings I have ever made. Did you use the same amount of ingredients that you would have used with suet? I did any they came out fine, I must admit.

My mum has a friend who makes her dumplings without any fat at all and I keep asking for the recipe but so far haven't got it. I'll email her again tonight and see if I can get it.
Hi Yes, I did use the same amount of ingredients but they were definately not right. They fluffed up lovely but it was the really fatty taste (and smell) that put us off. I don't know where I went wrong Would be great to get the recipe for fat free dumplings, anything to save the wasteline!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Winnie
Hi Yes, I did use the same amount of ingredients but they were definately not right. They fluffed up lovely but it was the really fatty taste (and smell) that put us off. I don't know where I went wrong Would be great to get the recipe for fat free dumplings, anything to save the wasteline!
Hi again Winnie

I've finally heard from my mum about the fatless dumpling recipe - basically she said it's the same ingredients literally without the suet! She tried them recently and they were not nice, she said! Like small rubber balls apparently! But she did say she's recently been making them with margarine instead of suet and she thinks they are just as nice, if not better, than ones made with suet. She just uses the same amount of marg as she would have suet.

The marg ones won't help your waistline but they may taste/smell better than Shreddo ones!!!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi again Winnie

I've finally heard from my mum about the fatless dumpling recipe - basically she said it's the same ingredients literally without the suet! She tried them recently and they were not nice, she said! Like small rubber balls apparently! But she did say she's recently been making them with margarine instead of suet and she thinks they are just as nice, if not better, than ones made with suet. She just uses the same amount of marg as she would have suet.

The marg ones won't help your waistline but they may taste/smell better than Shreddo ones!!!
Hehe, given up on the waistline, its running away from me! Thanks for that, shall try them with margarine next time. Think I'll give the ones without the fat though, unless I fancy a game of badmington!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:16 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Hi again Winnie

I use butter instead of marg and my mrs loves em. she's a suetophobe so all ok in this house now.