Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Boring question about suet

Boring question about suet

Old Jul 18th 2006, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Question Boring question about suet

I love baking and need some suet? I always take forever finding stuff I want in the shops here for some reason.... hey I've only just managed to find some lard so I can make shortcrust pastry.... anyone know what the suet is called here and in which section would they put it? I used to use Atora at home. Ta for your help. Sarah
Old Jul 19th 2006, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Boring question about suet

Hi Sarah

It might be called shortening.

Our local New World has a british section - penguin biscuits, irn bru, walkers crisps, heinz baked beans, spagetti hoops and yorkshire tea, and ....... SUET !

what are you going to make with it ?

peter
Old Jul 19th 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pangor
Hi Sarah

Our local New World has a british section - penguin biscuits, irn bru, walkers crisps, heinz baked beans, spagetti hoops and yorkshire tea, and ....... SUET !

peter

Yay! I was wondering about suet the other day as I wanted to make some dumplings to go with our stew. Guess where I'm heading tomorrow?!

Thank you Peter!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 6:57 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

My gripe here is no veg suet (I don't eat meat). I get it sent from the UK but it's been impounded before now! cheeky sods.
It hink they call it shortening here btw.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Off2NZ]Yay! I was wondering about suet the other day as I wanted to make some dumplings to go with our stew. Guess where I'm heading tomorrow?!

jam rolly poly is my favourite and just the weather for it here - cold, dark and rainy.

peter
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah

peter
Hi, thanks for all the replies guys.

I never knew it could be called shortening.

I want to make dumplings like Off2NZ for the stew... but I could also make puddings like jam roly poly... spotted dick... plum duff...... mmmmmm

Theres a New World up at Botany so I'll have to go get some.... thanks again.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Steve Horrell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SarahB
I love baking and need some suet? I always take forever finding stuff I want in the shops here for some reason.... hey I've only just managed to find some lard so I can make shortcrust pastry.... anyone know what the suet is called here and in which section would they put it? I used to use Atora at home. Ta for your help. Sarah
Try looking for 'Shreddo' in the baking section of the supermarkets. It 80% suet and works great for the dumplings in stew!!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

I want to make dumplings like Off2NZ for the stew... but I could also make puddings like jam roly poly... spotted dick... plum duff...... mmmmmm

Sarah - That's the New World I'm heading for tomorrow, the one at Botany, it's just 5 mins from where I live!

mmmmm jam roly poly - I must admit I've never made it but absolutely love it - anyone got an easy recipe for it please?

Think we might need to all get together for a "Suet Evening"!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Horrell
Try looking for 'Shreddo' in the baking section of the supermarkets. It 80% suet and works great for the dumplings in stew!!!
Thanks, Steve, I'll look for Shreddo too.

What I might do is make 2 batches of dumplings the next time I make stew and compare the ones made with Shreddo with the ones made with suet. Look out for a follow up to this - that is unless anyone else beats me to it!!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Off2NZ
Sarah - That's the New World I'm heading for tomorrow, the one at Botany, it's just 5 mins from where I live!

mmmmm jam roly poly - I must admit I've never made it but absolutely love it - anyone got an easy recipe for it please?

Think we might need to all get together for a "Suet Evening"!!!!
Ok heres a couple

INGREDIENTS:

200g self-raising flour
100g vegetable suet
finely grated zest and juice 1 small lemon
1 medium egg, beaten
2-4 tbsp milk or water
200g red jam of your choice such as plum, cherry, raspberry or strawberry
pinch salt
custard, cream or ice cream to serve

PREPARATION:

1. Stir the flour, suet, salt and lemon zest together then work to a firm dough with the lemon juice, egg and milk or water.
2. Roll out to a rectangle about 25 x 20.5 cm/10 x 8in and spread jam to within 2.5cm/1in of the edges. Roll up starting from a short end and seal the edges well with a little water.

3. Set the roll on a sheet of well buttered foil and wrap, making sure you seal the ends well.

4. Set in a steamer and steam for 2 hrs. Serve in slices with custard, cream or ice cream.

PREP/COOK
INFORMATION:

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours Serves: 4

or try this Keith Floyd recipe

Ingredients
250g/8oz self-raising flour
pinch salt
125g/4oz shredded suet
90-120ml/6-8tbsp water
4 tbsp raspberry jam, warmed
a little milk
1 egg, beaten, and caster sugar to glaze

Method
1. Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt. Add the suet and sufficient water to create a soft but not sticky dough.
2. Turn on to a floured board and roll out to a rectangle about 20x30cm/8x12in.
3. Brush the pastry with the warmed jam, leaving a 1cm/½in border all round.
4. Fold in this border and brush with milk. With the short side towards you, roll up the pastry loosely and seal the ends well.
5. Place on a greased baking sheet, with the sealed edge underneath. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar.
6. Bake in the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6 for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven, sprinkle on a little more sugar and serve hot with home-made English custard.

Don't forget spotted dick or Steamed apple, orange and ginger suet pudding
Old Jul 19th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sarah

peter
You have walkers crisps in your New World.....I WANT SOME

I miss my walkers crisps

I went to the Bramptins in Browns bay at the weekend but they had none, but I kind of knew that anyway cus they have had none on the website for ages

tis very sad I know
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Poppets

Thank you for those 2 recipes, if I manage to get some suet today then I will make a Jam Roly Poly for my hubby for tea tonight - it's our anniversary today and I do think a roly poly will go down well!!!!

Mmmm spotted dick is a favourite in our house as well - never tried an orange and ginger pudding but that also sounds good.

Last edited by Off2NZ; Jul 19th 2006 at 9:03 pm. Reason: Removed quote as it was huge!!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sarah
Just to let you know (and anyone else that is interested!) that I've just got back from Botany's New World and got some Shreddo but can find "English" suet. I guess our New World isn't as big as the one that is near Peter! Oh well, I am sure that Shreddo is as good. I did notice that they sell chocolate Hobnobs though!

G
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Oops.... sorry :

Logged in this morning and saw you were all rushing off to new world. Next thought was oh my god what if there isn't any suet !

Our New Worlds in Havelock and Hastings have little sections with foreign stuff - British, South African etc. But sort of comes in then disappears for a while then comes back, almost like they just get a mixed load in every now and then.

Thank god for Shreddo !

Been making drop scones here myself, ( with feta cheese dropped in ), - I think they call them pikelets here.

peter
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kwprwn
You have walkers crisps in your New World.....I WANT SOME

I miss my walkers crisps

I went to the Bramptins in Browns bay at the weekend but they had none, but I kind of knew that anyway cus they have had none on the website for ages

tis very sad I know

They do have atora suet in there though at least they did a few weeks ago.
I am looking forward to them opening the English fish and chip shop out the back there, wonder if it will be any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.