British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Border closures and exceptions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/border-closures-exceptions-934001/)

kiwibok Jul 29th 2020 8:23 pm

Re: Border closures and exceptions

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12889303)
I am a NZ resident of 12 years, an essential worker right through the covid process and NZ tax payer I have not left NZ or seeking to return.
i still feel it is unfair to charge for isolation without back dating it and charging EVERY ONE who has returned since March

So then why are taxpayers (already in NZ) not entitled to the same benefit? We had to fork out our own hard earned cash to pay to keep ourselves in isolation during lock down.

Pom_Chch Jul 30th 2020 3:34 am

I think it's fair enough to start charging certain people in certain situations who are returning. There isn't an unlimited pot of money and quarantine is going to be needed for many months. For those who do not have to return and are simply doing it because the COVID situation is better in NZ than where they currently are, then too right they should pay or stay where they are.

Pollyana Jul 30th 2020 4:24 am

Speaking from the viewpoint of someone who works in the coordination centre for the COVID response in Queensland, one of the reasons that the charge is so high is because that is what the quarantine providers - ie the hotels - charge the government. The government has undertaken to use only high end hotels, so that they have a reasonable room size, and good expectations for service delivery. That means that the room coasts are fairly high as most of the places used are 4 or 5 star. The rate being charged to the public for room and board is pretty much the same rate that the government was paying for each room originally. So unless the government continues to subsidise the travellers, thats the rate they have to pass on.

Justcol Jul 31st 2020 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by kiwibok (Post 12889326)
So then why are taxpayers (already in NZ) not entitled to the same benefit? We had to fork out our own hard earned cash to pay to keep ourselves in isolation during lock down.

What, by staying at home. ??
How did that run up any bills
I ended up saving a shitload of money
​​​​​​

paddy234 Aug 1st 2020 8:17 am

What I can't understand is why NZ has closed borders with other Australian states that don't have community transmission such as WA and Tasmania. It makes no sense

Justcol Aug 1st 2020 8:29 am

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 12890616)
What I can't understand is why NZ has closed borders with other Australian states that don't have community transmission such as WA and Tasmania. It makes no sense

Because we can never trust the under arm bowling Australians

Mishclark Aug 1st 2020 9:29 am

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 12890616)

Have you seen the news in Oz lately? Too many sneaky buggers including the two girls lying when arriving in Qld and super spreading everywhere. Can't be trusted.

And I'm saying this as an Ozzie stuck in Australia because of idiots like them..

Mishclark Aug 1st 2020 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12890621)
Because we can never trust the under arm bowling Australians

🤣🤣