Reload this Page >

Border closures and exceptions

Border closures and exceptions

Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

poida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Border closures and exceptions

Hi,

Has anyone had recent experience of travelling to NZ and applying for an exception? We are currently based in the UK and are looking to spend Christmas/Summer holidays in NZ with family there as we have experienced a bereavement this year and want to be together. I am a NZ citizen so I understand the border closure doesn't apply to me even though I'm not a resident. My wife is British/former Australian Permanent Resident and my children are dual British/Australian, do I have to apply for exceptions for them? What about my mother-in-law (British citizen), would she be eligible for an exception?

I'm aware of the 14 day quarantine requirement which we are willing to do to prevent bringing COVID into NZ.

Thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border closures and exceptions

Best to take advice from official sources:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...New%20Zealand.

It seems your wife and any kids under 19 can travel without exception, if they already have visas due to relationship with you and provided thet have already travelled to NZ before on said visas. I believe they would need to be able to demonstrate critical purpose to travel.

I don't really fancy your chances of gaining an exception but of course things may change. There's many heartbreaking stories in the media with people having applied and been declined multiple times. Quarantine accommodation is also said to be maxed out and a lot of talk also in this space about charging incoming folks to pay for the 14 days accommodation and testing.

Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

I think you may be allowed in although I think it goes against the intention of the ruling as only you are a returning kiwi, and you are not actually returning are you. You would be using your status to bring in others with the intention of having a holiday.

Last edited by Justcol; Jul 28th 2020 at 9:42 am.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

poida is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for those links, that answers my question then.

I'll keep checking those websites for any updates between now and the end of the year, but I doubt anything will change.

Australia has already started passing on the costs for quarantining to visitors so I suspect NZ will do the same soon.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poida

Australia has already started passing on the costs for quarantining to visitors so I suspect NZ will do the same soon.
$3000 per adult from October, which I feel is grossly unfair
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to get an exemption to get back to Nz (I'm Australian) and an essential health worker and already a resident in Nz but got locked down in Oz when I went there for work experience before this all escalated in March. I had to apply to leave Oz as our borders are still closed as well.

I chose to stay in Oz until the Trans Tasman bubble eventually re opens as my adult daughters live in Oz and I want to be able to move freely over the Tasman as I previously did as I'm their only parent.

I had to give up my rental and job but Nz isn't going anywhere, as frustrating as it is..
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I think Qld has already started, must ask my sister as she lives there.

It's very exxy...
Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Do you think its fare that taxpayers in New Zealand whom already had to pay for their own isolation in level 4 lockdown, now also pay for your isolation? I think its very fare to be honest.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I think Qld has already started, must ask my sister as she lives there.

It's very exxy...
Most states are already charging people entering Australia, not just visitors, but everyone. Qld was the first, they started weeks ago. Some states are also charging for quarantine when crossing state borders.

https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/covid19faq.html#states

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 29th 2020 at 2:57 am.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most states are already charging people entering Australia, not just visitors, but everyone. Qld was the first, they started weeks ago. Some states are also charging for quarantine when crossing state borders.

https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/covid19faq.html#states
I thought as much. I won't be going anywhere until I go back to Nz later on..not sure I want to at this stage!
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kiwibok
Do you think its fair that taxpayers in New Zealand whom already had to pay for their own isolation in level 4 lockdown, now also pay for your isolation? I think its very fare to be honest.

I must say that I also think it fair to charge however I feel the charge to be somewhat steep. It isn't fair for the taxpayers to continue to shoulder the burden of this. Those that seek to enter after many years away and who will likely leave again or those seeking to travel in for purposes other than settling should pay their own way as a part of the travel costs. Those that are trying to repatriate permanently and who have been held up for some reason should not have to pay I feel .

As I understand it the border closure applies to everyone at the moment. All must do the 14 days of managed quarantine and quite rightly so imo. The OP has stated they are happy to do the two weeks upon entry to NZ. Question for him is the 2 weeks possible quarantine upon returning to his country of residence.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

When I do get back to the good old South Island I'll pay if that's required but it's different for me as I'm single and it's just little old me (not sure when miss 19 is/if coming) but I can understand it's quite hefty for a family..
Old Jul 29th 2020, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

So decision has been made today $3100 per room and $950 for each extra adult and $475 per child - returning permanent residents and citizens intending to stay longer than 90 days or intending permanent settlement back in NZ will not pay. However, anyone who leaves NZ from now onwards and comes back will pay.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
So decision has been made today $3100 per room and $950 for each extra adult and $475 per child - returning permanent residents and citizens intending to stay longer than 90 days or intending permanent settlement back in NZ will not pay. However, anyone who leaves NZ from now onwards and comes back will pay.
Thanks for the link Bo Jangles 😊
Old Jul 29th 2020, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwibok
Do you think its fare that taxpayers in New Zealand whom already had to pay for their own isolation in level 4 lockdown, now also pay for your isolation? I think its very fare to be honest.
I am a NZ resident of 12 years, an essential worker right through the covid process and NZ tax payer I have not left NZ or seeking to return.
i still feel it is unfair to charge for isolation without back dating it and charging EVERY ONE who has returned since March

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.