Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Which boradband? Need advice

Which boradband? Need advice

Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Android is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which boradband? Need advice

hey everyone. we`ve just moved to Auckland, trying to settle in. I need some advice...
I want to get a broadband but can not find any broadband company except Vodafone and telecom, and they`re all limited broadband connection deals.

Can anyone suggest any other companies or these companies but unlimited broadband connection? cuz i`m downloading music and movies all the time, don`t want to pay stupid excess every month.

Cheers...
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which boradband? Need advice

Hi.

We're with Telstra Clear and have had no problem with these in the 13-14 months we have been a customer of theirs

Michelle
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the reply... is your limited or unlimited? I`ve just checked the website but they`re all limited. It`s real complicated....
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Android
thanks for the reply... is your limited or unlimited? I`ve just checked the website but they`re all limited. It`s real complicated....
I've got limited one with TC and I always get this warning messageS by the end of every month - which I have received it this morning too

You have now used 2 additional block[s] of usage, on your TelstraClear HighSpeed Internet plan for the period to 1/10/2008. Additional usage blocks are charged at $2.95 per block of 500 megabytes, regardless of the number of megabytes you use from that block.

and, I pay average $200 for my phone and interne.t. :curse: It's redicoulus. whereas my power bills are only $35 per month. I think TC charge you too much on phone. - phoning the U.K and Auckland, same price! so I rarely phone my mum in auckland.

Get unlimited one with TC and don't pay extra. It's just really is a stupid things to do. btw I am too lazy to phone them and change etc

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 30th 2008 at 12:12 am.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Erm... pass! The hubster deals with that I *think* it's Unlimited but I'm a girl, I don't get it

I do know we pay around $50 p/m for 10G, then each additional 'block' of 10G is charged at $11-12. They do warn you everytime you're coming up to your limit though - normally at 80%, you can keep an eye on your useage online too!

This is the PDQ plan too!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 2:30 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

We have Slingshot and have 15gb a month. It's not the fastest but a huge amount of download for $29.95 a month with tolls. Good luck

Last edited by SLH; Sep 30th 2008 at 2:34 am.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

i reckon unlimited broadband is not really common in NZ, everyone is using limited, even the companies are offering you limited connection deals all the time! Weird... all i need is an unlimited broadband connection but of course not stupidly priced...
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I think orcon in some parts of auckland are the fastest providers but they aren't cheap. Internet in NZ is generally crap IMO.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

not sure what kind of limits they do but we're with telecom (xtra) - they warn us when we get close to our limit but they do not charge if you go over - they say they would drop us to dial up speed but they never have done, but we don't push it either
might not be much use for the amount you want to download
Cheers
Vicki
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

I was looking for a similar thing. The best that I could find was one similar to what I'm on in the UK, where you can have massive downloads between midnight and 8-am, which don't rack up as regular usage.

Looks good to me:

http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is "unlimited" usage here. We are with Telecom and pay for however many gb we want. I never use my quota but unfortunately that is the gripe here about the speed. It is probably the worst civilised country for broadband speed. It always makes me tetchy when I am downloading stuff and it stops working!! That is one of the pitfalls on living here I am afraid. You have to pay top dollar for however many gigs you need. Then the speed is nowhere near that of the UK.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

hey everyone. we`ve just moved to Auckland, trying to settle in. I need some advice...
I want to get a broadband but can not find any broadband company except Vodafone and telecom, and they`re all limited broadband connection deals.

Can anyone suggest any other companies or these companies but unlimited broadband connection? cuz i`m downloading music and movies all the time, don`t want to pay stupid excess every month.

Cheers...
I have telecom and its OK, we only have a 3gb limit and have went over it a few times and been dropped to dial up which is a pain in the ass but serves me right for not keeping an eyes on it.
Speed here is ok, id say my connectin is faster than i had in the uk, I was with tiscali, I have tried to find a few unlimited packages but they are all a few hunders bucks a month and I aint paying that for broadband.

Ill hold off upgrading till more people use it then it should become better prices
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

thanks guys... I remember paying 5 quid for 3 months unlimited when i was in UK. I reckon u`re right broadband is not really good in this country! The best thing would be just accept it and try to find the best deal!
But i don`t really want a dial up connectin if i exceed my limit, it sounds like a punishment!!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donnynz
I was looking for a similar thing. The best that I could find was one similar to what I'm on in the UK, where you can have massive downloads between midnight and 8-am, which don't rack up as regular usage.

Looks good to me:

http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/
thanks for the website, looks ok. Do you use this company as well? Unlimited data usage at a normal speed is $34 pm hope there`s no extra charges ... will e-mail and ask. Cheers...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which boradband? Need advice

thanks guys... I remember paying 5 quid for 3 months unlimited when i was in UK. I reckon u`re right broadband is not really good in this country! The best thing would be just accept it and try to find the best deal!
But i don`t really want a dial up connectin if i exceed my limit, it sounds like a punishment!!
Hi there i just did a google search and found the following no date on it though.
http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,6...204205,00.html
Cheers
Cally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.