Books

Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Dibsica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Books

Does anyone have any recommednations for good 'living and working in NZ' type books. I've had a quick look on Amazon and there seem to be loads so thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks

Dibsica

P.S. Did introduce myself ages ago - just in the very early stages of finding out about the possibility of moving to NZ from the UK as a family of 4.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:52 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Books

Originally Posted by Dibsica
Does anyone have any recommednations for good 'living and working in NZ' type books. I've had a quick look on Amazon and there seem to be loads so thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks

Dibsica

P.S. Did introduce myself ages ago - just in the very early stages of finding out about the possibility of moving to NZ from the UK as a family of 4.
The one by Mark Hempshell is pretty good, lots of humour and lots of day to day stuff, like post offices, schools etc. I can't remember though if it's up to date on immigration rules, but you could get answers on that very easily from the NZIS website or from on here. Paul Goddard (Get A New Life, BBC) did one, and it's good reading the experience of someone who actually did it, rather than just wrote about it.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Dibsica is an unknown quantity at this point

Great - thanks for your help.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

I'm currently reading a 'travel journal' called 'A Land of Two Halves' by Joe Bennett. He decided to hitch-hike across NZ, starting near Christchurch. It's rather amusing, and full of anecdotal stories, int he style of Bill Bryson. It's good for adding some (I hope) local colour.

Can anyone suggest any NZ fiction to look out for?

JaneAS
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out this thread started by a brilliant but very modest librarian:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=books

Phyl
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Thanks

Dibsica

"Living and working in New Zealand" by Joy Muirhead is full of useful info and fun read about travelling around NZ on a motorbike "Kiwis might fly" by Polly Evans
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:21 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks

Dibsica

Hi see this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=books

Also my Favourites so far

Slipping into paradise (for a real view of NZ good & Bad)

land of two halves

Kiwi Tracks

Current read is the Penguin "History of New Zealand" (excellent)
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneAS
I'm currently reading a 'travel journal' called 'A Land of Two Halves' by Joe Bennett. He decided to hitch-hike across NZ, starting near Christchurch. It's rather amusing, and full of anecdotal stories, int he style of Bill Bryson. It's good for adding some (I hope) local colour.

Can anyone suggest any NZ fiction to look out for?

JaneAS
I read that too, I got a bit bored and kept wanting him to get to Wellington, then when he did that was the shortest paragraph. Some funny bits to it though. He didn't make me want to visit Dunedin at all.
KAZ :scared:
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

I really shouldn't have looked at this thread... before I knew it I had ordered 3 books (all 2nd hand) from Amazon... I confess, I am a book-aholic

I have ordered:
- Slipping into Paradise
- Emigrate with Caution
- Straying From the Flock

Well, it's all research innit?

I'm someone has previously said that it is actually cheaper to use Amazon to ship books to NZ, rather than buy them new there! Is this true?

JaneAS
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:52 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JaneAS
I really shouldn't have looked at this thread... before I knew it I had ordered 3 books (all 2nd hand) from Amazon... I confess, I am a book-aholic

I have ordered:
- Slipping into Paradise
- Emigrate with Caution
- Straying From the Flock

Well, it's all research innit?

I'm someone has previously said that it is actually cheaper to use Amazon to ship books to NZ, rather than buy them new there! Is this true?

JaneAS
Yes this is true. Except for sales of course.