Booking flights

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 10:01 am
Just Joined

StandingUpForTheUlstermen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Booking flights

Woohoo the time has cone to book flights. Booking them tomorrow. We are traveling via America, New York, Washington DC, Las Vegas and flying out of LA.

Some advice would be great as we are traveling with out six month old son. Going to be tough we know but any tips on flying with him etc would be a great help.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking flights

God help you if you are coming via the states

Expect to be treated like vermin at each airport as you are herded towards stale transit lounges and the delays at immigration will have you spewing.

If you can take another route, do so
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
God help you if you are coming via the states

Expect to be treated like vermin at each airport as you are herded towards stale transit lounges and the delays at immigration will have you spewing.

If you can take another route, do so
I agree with what you say regarding L.A airport ... But going through San Francisco was a delight.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd avoid LAX too. Any particular reason for coming via the US? I prefer to come and go via Singapore. Changi airport is a delight as airports go. Why not do a stop-over in Singapore? Just a thought
Old Jan 4th 2016, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Flying out of Los Angeles???

I feel so sorry for you, especially with a child. Look forward to having to drink your babys milk to confirm that it is actually baby milk and not some kind of fluid to cause a bomb. Then you have to give up your pram as that has to get swabbed everywhere. Not forgetting you have to take your shoes off, coat off, basically almost be in your birthday suit to go through security. And immigration departures wonder why there is such a queue to get out of the States from LA?

You'd be better off hiring a car and driving up to Vancouver International Airport or even better, fly from San Diego to Honolulu International Airport. Yes Honolulu is still an American airport but that's the only airport where i've not had the pleasure of the major OTT security the other airports have. All that security at the airports in the US but yet any tom dick or harry can get an AK47...good one!

Whoever you book your fight with, make sure you ring the airline and book a bassinet. Unfortunately, you won't be flying with an Asian airline so expect to have to call them at least one month before departure, and then hope that your bassinet booking is still valid. Even better, hope that the airline remember to bring a bassinet on board (yes Air Auckland, I am talking about you!)

Although going out of the way, i'd book Virgin Australia to New Zealand from Los Angeles. It's generally far cheaper to fly via Australia than go direct to New Zealand. I highly recommend this if your final port of call is Wellington or the South Island as you'll avoid the pleasure that is Auckland Airport. Qantas can have some really good deals as well from Los Angeles to New Zealand via Australia. DO NOT BOOK UNITED AIRLINES OR AMERICAN AIRLINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you unfortunately end up with a US Airline, Delta or Hawaiian Airlines are the only ones i'd recommend. I'd rather be stuck on a low budget Indonesian Airline than fly American or United again. You're paying premium prices and getting a service 100,000,000 times worse than Ryan Air and Easy Jet put together

Last edited by Tom H; Jan 4th 2016 at 2:41 am.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:04 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I've done LAX 4 times in the last 6mths, there is no transit lounge any more - you disembark then go out into the terminal and back through security to the gate as with any other flight. TBH it was no different in processing method and times to AKL, LHR or Chicago for example.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Hey guys,

The reason why we are not going via "Asia" is due to flights we wanted to stop off in Dubai and Hong Kong then onto Melbourne, but every flight out of Hong jobs seems to go via Dubai again. So we wanted to see the states again so that's why we are going their.

Flights are book. As of 15 mins ago. We fly from Dublin to JFK with Aer Lingus, spending 3 days in NYC. Then train to Washington DC, flying to Vegas, then driving to LAX flying with Air NZ to Wellington. We have booked a bassinet.

I've been to lots of airports in the US esp LAX. So I know what to expect.

We arrive in Wellington on March 4th.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 5:39 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

LAX was fine when we were there last June. Expected it to be awful after all i had heard, but no issues either arriving or departing.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StandingUpForTheUlstermen
Hey guys,

The reason why we are not going via "Asia" is due to flights we wanted to stop off in Dubai and Hong Kong then onto Melbourne, but every flight out of Hong jobs seems to go via Dubai again. So we wanted to see the states again so that's why we are going their.

Flights are book. As of 15 mins ago. We fly from Dublin to JFK with Aer Lingus, spending 3 days in NYC. Then train to Washington DC, flying to Vegas, then driving to LAX flying with Air NZ to Wellington. We have booked a bassinet.

I know its too late now but Cathay do Hong Kong direct to Australia - definitely to Brisbane where you could get domestic to Melbourne, but I'd be surprised if they don't have a Mel flight too
Old Jan 4th 2016, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StandingUpForTheUlstermen
Hey guys,

Fair enough. I loved Washington DC but it's over 20 years since I was last there .

Time will fly by (no pun intended) now so you'll be busy with getting organised to leave. Exciting times.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Fair enough. I loved Washington DC but it's over 20 years since I was last there .

Time will fly by (no pun intended) now so you'll be busy with getting organised to leave. Exciting times.
Exciting indeed. Looking forward to breaking up the trip in the states. Really looking forward to seeing Washington DC.

Tough bit to come. Saying Goodbye

Last edited by StandingUpForTheUlstermen; Jan 5th 2016 at 11:16 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'd avoid LAX too. Any particular reason for coming via the US? I prefer to come and go via Singapore. Changi airport is a delight as airports go. Why not do a stop-over in Singapore? Just a thought
We've flew via LA 3 times never again! It's a horrible airport where your taken off of the plane made to stand in a queue for over an hour to go through a completely pointless immigration security process to be shoved into a room that you cannot leave to sit on rock hard chairs and watch a tv with no sound to then be ushered back through the immigration process and back on the plane!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:07 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valleygurl
We've flew via LA 3 times never again! It's a horrible airport where your taken off of the plane made to stand in a queue for over an hour to go through a completely pointless immigration security process to be shoved into a room that you cannot leave to sit on rock hard chairs and watch a tv with no sound to then be ushered back through the immigration process and back on the plane!!!!
That doesnt happen now, there is no transit lounge, you have access to the full terminal facility - often you board a different plane for the onward leg.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
That doesnt happen now, there is no transit lounge, you have access to the full terminal facility - often you board a different plane for the onward leg.
Oh well done LAX
Old Jan 7th 2016, 11:05 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know its too late now but Cathay do Hong Kong direct to Australia - definitely to Brisbane where you could get domestic to Melbourne, but I'd be surprised if they don't have a Mel flight too
There are 3 direct flights a day Hong Kong - Melbourne with Cathay