British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Booked the flights, just need the visa! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/booked-flights-just-need-visa-488592/)

Here comes the sun Oct 21st 2007 8:46 am

Booked the flights, just need the visa!

I couldnt resist booking the flights, it makes it feel like its really happening. We have talked about emmigrating for the last 4 years but after announcing plans something always came up (usually hubbys job) they have offered promotions and back dated pay rises twice now days before he was due to leave and he has to give 12 months notice so we have had a long wait but no amount of money will stop us this time. So booking the flights proves to the familly we are serious this time as they think we will change our minds again.

The only problem i can see stopping us is my hubbys medical as he has had a brain scan recently for reccurring head aches we are hope full its just migraines we get the results in a week so fingers crossed!!!

Even if something goes really wrong we will still go traveling as he has 3 months paid leave to take at his end of service.

We are flying via LA but i really dont want to get a hire car in LA, has anyone any experiance of stopping in Anaheim and getting shuttles/cabs to the airport? We are stopping over for 3 nights and will do the disney thing for a day or two. We then fly to auckland for 4 days (still need to book accomodation) then on to dunedin!

So just the visas and nurse reg to sort (still waiting for police checks!!!) medicals in a month and hopefully a visa in the next 6 months and fly out 18th Aug with air newzealand, I cant wait!!!! :eek:

happynz Oct 21st 2007 8:58 am

Re: Booked the flights, just need the visa!

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5449265)

We are flying via LA but i really dont want to get a hire car in LA, has anyone any experience of stopping in Anaheim and getting shuttles/cabs to the airport? We are stopping over for 3 nights and will do the disney thing for a day or two.

This looks like a reasonable deal http://www.shuttle2000.com/ for transport between LAX and the Magic Kingdom.

Only get a cab to or from the airport if you have squillions of dollars to spend.

Enjoy Mickey and the gang. :)

Wessa Oct 21st 2007 12:33 pm

A friend of mine is going back to Dunedin, he loves it there. It looks like i will be going out there after xmas for a two week job hunt. ;) Maybe see ya when im there eh. :thumbup: Best of luck to your lot. :D

Animal Crackers Oct 21st 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5449265)
I couldnt resist booking the flights, it makes it feel like its really happening. We have talked about emmigrating for the last 4 years but after announcing plans something always came up (usually hubbys job) they have offered promotions and back dated pay rises twice now days before he was due to leave and he has to give 12 months notice so we have had a long wait but no amount of money will stop us this time. So booking the flights proves to the familly we are serious this time as they think we will change our minds again.

The only problem i can see stopping us is my hubbys medical as he has had a brain scan recently for reccurring head aches we are hope full its just migraines we get the results in a week so fingers crossed!!!

Even if something goes really wrong we will still go traveling as he has 3 months paid leave to take at his end of service.

We are flying via LA but i really dont want to get a hire car in LA, has anyone any experiance of stopping in Anaheim and getting shuttles/cabs to the airport? We are stopping over for 3 nights and will do the disney thing for a day or two. We then fly to auckland for 4 days (still need to book accomodation) then on to dunedin!

So just the visas and nurse reg to sort (still waiting for police checks!!!) medicals in a month and hopefully a visa in the next 6 months and fly out 18th Aug with air newzealand, I cant wait!!!! :eek:

Well done you:thumbsup:!! it may prove that you are 100% commited to those who think you are not serious. We have had a few say "Yeh alright" when we have said what we are doing and others said " Keep dreaming" :curse: but we reply by saying that we will be living our dream one day!! It's ages till we actually plan to go but if I could I would go today never mind tomorrow!!! Let us know how your meds go!!! I too will be a fellow nurse!!:wub:

Steve and the Dragon Oct 21st 2007 7:29 pm

Hi,

Congrats to you, hope all goes to plan.

We stopped over in Anaheim, sorry don't remember the name of the hotel, but ALL hotels near Disney run free shuttles, just put your name down at the desk (be on time though). A friend said the Holiday Inn is OK.

We did the Disney thing (but it's nowhere near as good as the Florida one, very tatty and much smaller. Some other attractions/excursions from Ananheim are Knott's Berry Farm (big roller coasters etc), Universal (better than Disneyland I thought), there's also Sea World, San Diego, and daytrips to Tijuana, but I think if you have small children this would be very tiring. A bus trip into Hollywood (or Hollyweird as the locals call it) is very interesting - no Maccy D's or fastfood places but loads of bars just selling a million kinds of water! I hasten to add we did not attend any of these bars, pointless I thought!

Venice Beach is good for people watching.

Another day trip is Catalina Island from Long beach.

Have a nice time while you are there, it's SUNNY.

Steve and the Dragon