British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Boo hoo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/boo-hoo-666964/)

JohnThePom May 5th 2010 12:04 pm

Boo hoo

Gulp. Just sold my motorbike. One step closer to going, which is good, but now I'm back to being just a tin-box man, boo hoo.

All still feels a bit unreal, but, starting to feel like it might actually happen.

Just need to look at the blue stickers to remind myself why the garage is empty! :ohmy:

WP

AngelaandJim May 5th 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Boo hoo

AWWWWWW :( poor bike my hubby refusing to sell his two taking them with him!

Stormer999 May 5th 2010 1:02 pm

My Honda Blackbird.....wifeys VFR VTec......know just what you mean...still they have been used on salty roads....now when I get to NZ what should I have next.........:)

NermaltheCute May 6th 2010 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8544123)
My Honda Blackbird.....wifeys VFR VTec......know just what you mean...still they have been used on salty roads....now when I get to NZ what should I have next.........:)

Can i respectfully suggest a tank? Infinately safer :D

JohnThePom May 6th 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute (Post 8547832)
Can i respectfully suggest a tank? Infinately safer :D

Definitely safer and probably as much fun, but missing the point of biking ;)

I'm going to do my bit for improved safety by moving to a cruiser next time. Won't decide which type for a long time though - bit like choosing which chocolate to take next from the box...

Drool...

WP

hazeandsteve May 6th 2010 10:50 pm

My XJR came in the crate, and I'm so glad to have her here..
For access to a lot of the countryside you can't see on a cruiser, I'd suggest you'd be far better of with a big to giant trailie. DR650, Tenere, BMW GS etc.
There's loads of organised trail riding here, and the metal roads make them more desirable than in UK.
Well worth a peruse of www.kiwibiker.co.nz :thumbsup:

Jan n Neil May 6th 2010 11:17 pm

Cruisers are everywhere here and TBH prob the best bike to have given the roads, i test rode a couple but ended up buying the B king wich works really well here and it,s still fast as f**k, Jan brought her gixer 1000 in the container i would have brought my GSA but the import tax was too much

Stormer999 May 7th 2010 11:08 am

Been on Kiwibiker for a while now no better way to find out about :thumbup:NZ
Don't fancy off roading like hill walking too much....Quieter;) Fancy a Triumph Street Triple....smaller engine, light as a feather and made for NZ twisties:thumbsup: Travel trout rod on the back............;)

cleverchap May 8th 2010 5:42 am

I've still got my GSXR tucked up in my lock up in Exeter.:unsure:

Stormer999 May 8th 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by cleverchap (Post 8550945)
I've still got my GSXR tucked up in my lock up in Exeter.:unsure:

All right I'll fall for it........Why?:sneaky:

cleverchap May 11th 2010 6:47 am

Couldn't bring myself to sell it, so stuck it in the lock up along with a classic mini, a splitscreen campervan,my welder, compressor and snap-on tools. I'll get it all shipped over at some point, once I've found a decent section, and built a house with a BIG enough garage.:rofl::thumbup::rofl:

Very tempted by a DR-Z400SM for some commuter hacking but will have to see what happens :thumbsup:

Stormer999 May 11th 2010 6:53 am

In the midlands the whole lot would get nicked! The DRZ is nice but the seat height would come up to mt chest....;)

cleverchap May 11th 2010 7:01 am

Midlands isn't the best, my mum and dad live in Coventry:(

Stormer999 May 11th 2010 7:11 am

Originally Posted by cleverchap (Post 8557172)
Midlands isn't the best, my mum and dad live in Coventry:(

Yes we live about 5 mls away.

Justcol May 11th 2010 7:26 am

I brought a trx then sold it. I then bought a fixxer upper cruiser, the first cruiser i've ever had
and was surprised at how well they are suited to kiwi roads.
TBH there isnt a road in the country that needs a big tourer to get down it.
Even state highway 1, the main route north to south has dodgy unsealed sections.
I see lots of 1000+ sports bikes out for rides at the weekends and they are all doing around 110kmh
which makes a mockery of owning one.
I think a big trailie (transalp,varadero,africa twin) is the perfect bike for getting round nz
or a big super motard if your feeling a bit sportier.
With that in mind i am on the look out for an rgv250 or a reverse cylinder tzr250:thumbsup: