Boats

Old May 15th 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Boats

Just a query really.

My Dad had a 14ft pleasure craft that he gave me a few years back (Well, will give when it is repaired!) The hull is in good condition, it is just that all the woodwork needs replacing.

I quite like the boat and was thinking of taking it to NZ, but he says that "Tinneys" (Pressed metal boats) are so so common out in NZ that it would be a waste of money. He then went on to say that fibreglass boats are more expensive in NZ because they are less of them.

My Dad's/my boat is fibreglass so is it worth having it shipped as it would be more expensive to buy a new one in NZ?

Thanks!
Old May 15th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boats

I'd suggest lookig on trademe for similar boats and then working out the numbers, ie cost to ship yours vs cost to buy in NZ minus whatever you could sell your for in UK. Given the volume of a 14ft boat, I find it unlikely that it would be worth the container space, but all depends on how much it is worth.
NZ is a very boating nation and there are loads of boats for sale here.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I'd suggest lookig on trademe for similar boats and then working out the numbers, ie cost to ship yours vs cost to buy in NZ minus whatever you could sell your for in UK. Given the volume of a 14ft boat, I find it unlikely that it would be worth the container space, but all depends on how much it is worth.
NZ is a very boating nation and there are loads of boats for sale here.
I agree. There are so many boats out here and you can always pick up a good bargain on Trademe. We bought a 21ft fiberglass boat off there. As Lapsed Kiwi says, it depends on what yours is worth and how much it will cost to get it out here.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Very true. But there is always sentimental value to consider!

Very hard to put a price on that.
Old May 16th 2010, 6:40 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Given the volume of a 14ft boat, I find it unlikely that it would be worth the container space,

Hmmmm, I think you'll find you could pack a lot of gear inside a 14ft boat.
Old May 16th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Hmmmm, I think you'll find you could pack a lot of gear inside a 14ft boat.
I must admit that I was thinking that too. Shippers may not do that however (They want to re-pack all my carefully packed boxes!)

I went onto that website and the fibreglass price starts at around $3500NZD which is around £1750GBP at the moment. Shipping will probably be more than that as it will be in a 20ft container, probably on it's own.

I think I am going to have to ask the shippers for an estimate on this.....
Old May 16th 2010, 9:29 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

We are shipping our 14ft sailing dinghy crated above one of the cars in the container....its been part of our family for 20+yrs, no way are we leaving her - expect to get more use out of her!!!
Old May 16th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I have noticed is there is a lack of "mucking about in boats" type of sailing dinghy over here, so if yours fits into that category, it may be worth bringing. We had a very nice 15ft racer/cruiser dinghy in the UK and I was very sad to see it go, but that was more due to having kids than due to emigration. I'd love to have it here now though.
I like the idea of packing stuff inside the boat - surely you could put light, bulky stuff like sails, bedding etc in it and that way its volume wouldn't be so great, in effect. Definitely worth exploring with the shippers
If its a outboard-powered runabout I wouldn't bother because they're such a commodity over here.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonsi
We are shipping our 14ft sailing dinghy crated above one of the cars in the container....its been part of our family for 20+yrs, no way are we leaving her - expect to get more use out of her!!!
Is it a GP14 simonsi?
Old May 16th 2010, 6:40 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
Is it a GP14 simonsi?
No, a Miracle, tbh closer to 13ft but thats a bit unlucky
Old May 17th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simonsi
No, a Miracle, tbh closer to 13ft but thats a bit unlucky
You'll have loads of fun with that over here. Closest NZ equivalent is probably a Sunburst, but that's a foot or two shorter than the Miracle

Auckland area is a great place to live if you're into sailing
Old May 17th 2010, 8:58 am
It is what it is Member

You'll have loads of fun with that over here. Closest NZ equivalent is probably a Sunburst, but that's a foot or two shorter than the Miracle

Auckland area is a great place to live if you're into sailing
Looking forward to it, have even been known to single-hand her...
Old May 17th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

You could always make one of these

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&sou...C4kpKgLygaSwCg

like I did.

Just need to learn how to sail now.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a selection of "yachts" sailed at the MPYC ... they look a bit old fashioned.. and they take a bit of seamanship to handle them.. but it breeds some excellent sailors http://www.mpyc.org.nz/about-the-yachts.html