Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BMI Imigration story

BMI Imigration story

Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:01 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BMI Imigration story

I haven't read the blog - don't wish to either - but I like Mrs G's style - go girl!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:25 pm
Banned

Maryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really nice

Do you honestly believe this?
Yes

My experience is different -I've know things get covered up: people know exactly how to work a system they've set up. Then they control the flow of information to ensure no-one who matters finds out.

I'd say it's RIFE in NZ (endemic in the old boy network) goes right through from awarding mutli-million dollar contracts to companies that weren't even on the tender list to fiddling expense claims.

Many will be watching this case with interest.

What happens to whistleblowers

Conflicts of Interest

Trips for the boys and prison officer corruption
Is this the point I look up all the cases in aus and UK about corruption and alleged corruption... and unproven cases of corruption and then post them? Shall I start with cash for honours? nah.. I wont bother as I think I have proven that linke to a few examples are silly.

What we need is an independend body to do some research into this every year and then publush the results... oh hang on!!! They already do that...
Forgive if I take the word of an independent report over a poster on an internet forum. You might not like the results, but that is tough luck.

Originally Posted by Avid
Ooops...didn't see this.

If you want a 'jokey' example of the old-boy network in action just look at how they (re-)appoint their rugby coaches...

You mean the one where one of the applicants had a brother in law who was Chairman of the NZRU and on the selection commitee.. and the applicant still didnt get the job? ..... your example is indeed very jokey... but does illustrate that the report knows more than you do.. cheers!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:41 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maryanne_Tga
You mean the one where one of the applicants had a brother in law who was Chairman of the NZRU and on the selection commitee.. and the applicant still didnt get the job? ..... your example is indeed very jokey... but does illustrate that the report knows more than you do.. cheers!
There's only one position up for grabs and they can't give it to everybody. Doesn't stop it from being a cosy little stitch-up, though.

Again, I still think there are a lot of problems defining 'corruption' and even more assessing which countries are the biggest offenders. But anyone who thinks New Zealand is some kind of 'corruption-free' paradise in living in a fantasy.

It's also a question of language. Take the internet for example. China has 'government censors' that 'ban' parts of the internet in order to 'serve political ends'. Australia, however, is about to appoint a 'public body' that will 'restrict' parts of the internet in order to 'protect the children'.

Countries we don't like do 'censorship' whilst others provide a 'public service'. Likewise some countries are 'corrupt' and others have systems where 'people help each other get on in life'!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:00 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Countries we don't like do 'censorship' whilst others provide a 'public service'. Likewise some countries are 'corrupt' and others have systems where 'people help each other get on in life'!
Well said. Though I have to say that personally I don't like what Oz is doing. It's one of those parental responsibilities.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:25 am
Banned

Maryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really nice

There's only one position up for grabs and they can't give it to everybody. Doesn't stop it from being a cosy little stitch-up, though.
It wasnt a stitch up, and the fact the applicant with the family connections missed out backs that up.

Again, I still think there are a lot of problems defining 'corruption' and even more assessing which countries are the biggest offenders. But anyone who thinks New Zealand is some kind of 'corruption-free' paradise in living in a fantasy.

It's also a question of language. Take the internet for example. China has 'government censors' that 'ban' parts of the internet in order to 'serve political ends'. Australia, however, is about to appoint a 'public body' that will 'restrict' parts of the internet in order to 'protect the children'.

Have you looked at the report and how its conclusions were reached, its a pretty robust method. Definately more than anything you have provided.

I dont think anyone is claiming NZ is a corruption free paradise, it didnt get 10/10 did it, but the fact is that it scored 9.4/10 and the UK and aus were only in the mid 8 range. Unlike you or I, the people who compile the report dont have an emotional stake in the debate. They look at over 200 countries in a quite in depth way to come up with these results, and for you to sit in your lounge and critique thier methods without even looking at the full report is quite unfair and eroneous.

As for Australia and its attempt to censor the internet, I dont think there is any way in hell they will get away with not being accused of censorship.. alot. So far you have only seen govt spin as its a new proposed policy. The backlash will come.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:31 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

"statistics are no substitute for judgment"
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:02 am
Banned

Still dont lke the facts aye Nerine, just get over it. It really isnt a big deal.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:15 am

<<Shudder>> Ughhh! the use of the "aye" word

.... I'll stick to the quotation.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:33 am
Banned

.... I'll stick to the quotation.
Who are you quoting? Your supposed to acknowledge the source.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 7th 2008 at 1:02 am. Reason: no edit. Just to inform that this user is banned as this is a previously banned member.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:42 am

I thought most people would've heard of it, or variations on the theme, at some point over the last.....oh....150 years or so?

Look it up on Google and when you've found out who it is attributed to read his profile on Wikipedia - para. Trivia it has a delicious irony .

Have fun.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:50 am
Banned

I thought most people would've heard of it, or variations on the theme, at some point over the last.....oh....150 years or so?

Look it up on Google and when you've found out who it is attributed to read his profile on Wikipedia - para. Trivia it has a delicious irony .

Have fun.
Ok so you dont know. Cool.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:52 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Who are you quoting? Your supposed to acknowledge the source.
that is perhaps the funniset thing I have read in months...........
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:53 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

from the person who cant use the quote function on the Forum................

RTFM............

and go Google...........
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:09 pm

The internet is a beautiful thing.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:13 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think anyone is claiming NZ is a corruption free paradise, it didnt get 10/10 did it, but the fact is that it scored 9.4/10 and the UK and aus were only in the mid 8 range. Unlike you or I, the people who compile the report dont have an emotional stake in the debate. They look at over 200 countries in a quite in depth way to come up with these results, and for you to sit in your lounge and critique thier methods without even looking at the full report is quite unfair and eroneous.

Yes, I can understand where you are coming from with that.

I'll just say that I've spent most of today with an NGO having spent the last 6 months wasting my time and money with lawyers, TVNZ and the Serious Fraud Office. Another waste of a day as I was told, yet again, that whilst I have a case...nobody in New Zealand will touch it because 'money talks'.

Every professional body I have spoken to agrees with me that a multi-million dollar fraud has taken place in Auckand and is on-going. They have also said, every one of them, that they don't believe the fraud can be stopped and they don't think anybody really wants to stop it.

Now, as I've said before, my story is an anecdotal one...but I do think that if my attempts to stop massive fraud are met with a large Kiwi shrug of the shoulders then, at least for me personally, I have to wonder how New Zealand gets 'least corrupt' status. If it's because everybody ignores corruption then we have reached an agreement.

I've been told to take the case up with the Government (!) and will do so in the next few months. Fingers crossed, eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.