British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   BMI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bmi-462842/)

kerrone Jul 2nd 2007 5:44 am

BMI

Just been told by a agency that on the medical that your BMI is taken into account. Can anyone elaborate on this

Avid Jul 2nd 2007 6:03 am

Re: BMI

Originally Posted by kerrone (Post 4996359)
Just been told by a agency that on the medical that your BMI is taken into account. Can anyone elaborate on this

BMI is body mass index.

You divide your weight by your height (squared).

Example. If you were 1.50m tall and weighed 45kg, then your BMI would be 45/1.50x1.50

45/2.25

which equals a BMI score of 20.

Or you could just go to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm and enter your numbers.

I think you have to score under 30 to pass the medical, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

hazeandsteve Jul 2nd 2007 6:18 am

Nah you don't. I'm 6'2" and 17 1/2 stone, and if you can be bothered to convert it, you'll see mine is (I think) over 30.
Didn't have a problem with the medical as all bodily functions are okay.
I think if you're wider than you are tall, can't walk and breath at the same time, and smoke 179 fags a day, it may count against you.

kerrone Jul 2nd 2007 6:23 am

Cheers Avid, Well have to dig that jogging suit out then and pound the streets or grow another two feet :(

Avid Jul 2nd 2007 6:46 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 4996419)
Nah you don't. I'm 6'2" and 17 1/2 stone, and if you can be bothered to convert it, you'll see mine is (I think) over 30.
Didn't have a problem with the medical as all bodily functions are okay.

BMI doesn't work for everybody. People who are small with a lot of muscle can be very healthy but have a score over 30.

Anyway, it's good to be under 25 whether or not it's just an immigration requirement!

Avid Jul 2nd 2007 6:47 am

Originally Posted by kerrone (Post 4996428)
Cheers Avid, Well have to dig that jogging suit out then and pound the streets or grow another two feet :(

You can add about 4 inches to your forehead with silicon implants...but I'd try the 'less chips' option first.

helinuk Jul 2nd 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4996472)
You can add about 4 inches to your forehead with silicon implants...but I'd try the 'less chips' option first.

:lol:

I was over 30 and so had to have blood test taken at medical to check cholesterol. As I'd only just had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks earlier the result was high- I then had another one done after 2 months and it had come down. My GP wrote me a letter - for a fee- to say ' this patience is doing all she can to bring her cholesterol and weight down and I am happy with this result'.
I passed the medical ok.
Don't worry. :)

happynz Jul 2nd 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4996468)
BMI doesn't work for everybody. People who are small with a lot of muscle can be very healthy but have a score over 30.

I saw a thing in the paper a couple of years ago and they did the BMI calculations for the All Blacks and many of them were over 30. Those guys are fit as can be. So yeah, point taken.

bourbon-biscuit Jul 3rd 2007 4:13 am

BMI is a pretty crude indicator of health but yours will be measued at teh immigration medical and if it's over 35 (or is it now 30 as suggested above?) you'll have to have extra blood tests to check your blood sugar and cholesteral. These tests require you to have fasted prior to the bloods being taken so if you know you're going to be over the BMI threshold it's worth arranging this with the panel doctor in advance so that you can have these tests done on the same day as the others.

Lots of people over the 30/35 threshold still emigrate successfully :)

helinuk Jul 3rd 2007 8:37 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 5001442)
BMI is a pretty crude indicator of health but yours will be measued at teh immigration medical and if it's over 35 (or is it now 30 as suggested above?) you'll have to have extra blood tests to check your blood sugar and cholesteral. These tests require you to have fasted prior to the bloods being taken so if you know you're going to be over the BMI threshold it's worth arranging this with the panel doctor in advance so that you can have these tests done on the same day as the others.

Good point to make re fasting! :thumbup: I forgot to mention that I fasted because I was fairly sure I'd have to have blood test.

kerrone Jul 21st 2007 5:49 am

Well still jogging:o but lost 10 kg so far. Poors dogs knackered though

P2L Jul 21st 2007 8:00 am

Keep going!! You're doing really well. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

happy g Jul 24th 2007 10:25 am

Originally Posted by kerrone (Post 4996359)

As far as i am aware BMI stands for body mass index in medical terms .Ihope this will help you.

:D"G"

SirEglamore Jul 25th 2007 12:38 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 5001442)

Case in point, me. I had more problems with a previous back injury than my general lardiness:o

Ozzidoc Jul 25th 2007 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4996468)

Anyway, it's good to be under 25 whether or not it's just an immigration requirement!

Depends on your ethnicity - for people from the Indian-subcontinent and far-east asians, it's 22.5 :)