British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bmi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bmi-384148/)

dreamfish Jul 10th 2006 11:31 am

Bmi

who has a high one (around the 40 mark) and has successfully got a visa?

MV5555 Jul 10th 2006 11:58 am

Re: Bmi

you will be ok so long as the blood / glucose tolerence test is ok

dreamfish Jul 10th 2006 11:59 am

ok - so it might be worth me getting my local GP to do one now... so i have a couple of months to rectify the situation before i fork out £700 for medicals and get it done by the panel! (ouch... not for the faint hearted)

waynepfry Jul 10th 2006 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish
ok - so it might be worth me getting my local GP to do one now... so i have a couple of months to rectify the situation before i fork out £700 for medicals and get it done by the panel! (ouch... not for the faint hearted)

hi jane here,
i was worried about mine , so went to my local gym , who did mine for me, i found out i was okay.
we went for medicals the whole family,and my hubby failed a liver function test by 4 points :( so he has had to have it done again at the local doctors get the results back today after 3pm fingers cross.
life has been on hold for the last two weeks, world cup has a lot to answers for :beer:
hope all goes well , i would go to your doctor and ask if they could test your bmi, my doctor said they are not too worried about how big you are its if you are going to cost nz health services money , i wouldnt mined but we have to pay for health care anyway so whats their beef :)

good luck jane

dreamfish Jul 10th 2006 3:12 pm

Hi Jane - thanks for your message. Well I have spoken direct with immigration today and asked their thoughts. They're just interested in whether you are likely to get TB, or if your organs will fail anytime soon. This is reassuring, but certainly a wake up call to get something done about my weight.

I am seeing the Gp tomorrow to get cholestoral and glucose levels checked so i have at least a couple months to try rectify any problems.

Have you had your liveer results back yet??

nickcharliepark Jul 10th 2006 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Hi Jane - thanks for your message. Well I have spoken direct with immigration today and asked their thoughts. They're just interested in whether you are likely to get TB, or if your organs will fail anytime soon. This is reassuring, but certainly a wake up call to get something done about my weight.

I am seeing the Gp tomorrow to get cholestoral and glucose levels checked so i have at least a couple months to try rectify any problems.

Have you had your liveer results back yet??

Hi

My husbands BMI was over 40, we have got our visa! Don't bother your GP, just eat low fat diet/low alcohol diet for a couple of weeks before your medicals because all your BMI means is that they are required to do extra blood tests (glucose and cholesterol levels that you wouldn't otherwise have needed) Eating low fat/low alcohol means that your results are more likely to be normal.

They charge extra for the extra blood tests though - be warned!

Don't worry about your BMI, it won't be an issue providing your general health is good.

Hope this helps

Nick