British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bloomin' 'eck!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bloomin-eck-384186/)

dreamfish Jul 10th 2006 3:34 pm

Bloomin' 'eck!!!

I thought to myself, i dont want to start sending original documents around the world, and i would go to the local solicitor to get certified copies done of everything.

£5 per copy!!!!!! i wanted to copy all our ID docs so that if anything gets lost i could use them in an emergency. passports, driving licences, birth certificates, qualifications.... gonna cost me BOMB

rip off merchants i tell ya.

if i hand deliver to london, there's no need for them to post to NZ is there?

nickcharliepark Jul 10th 2006 4:14 pm

Re: Bloomin' 'eck!!!

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I thought to myself, i dont want to start sending original documents around the world, and i would go to the local solicitor to get certified copies done of everything.

£5 per copy!!!!!! i wanted to copy all our ID docs so that if anything gets lost i could use them in an emergency. passports, driving licences, birth certificates, qualifications.... gonna cost me BOMB

rip off merchants i tell ya.

if i hand deliver to london, there's no need for them to post to NZ is there?

Hiya

No they are only used in London. I can safely say that they are looked after very well. We have just had all our documents returned in pristine condition, they even returned postcards/anniversary cards that we sent as relationship evidence. I wouldn't have a problem sending originals again (some of ours were, some weren't)

Just a tip though, take everything at once to Solicitor ready photocopied and they may do them as a job lot - ours did. They were supposed to cost £5 each, but she just charged £20 or somehting similar

Hope this helps

Nicola

dreamfish Jul 10th 2006 8:23 pm

oooo thats a good idea actually. i could scan and print at home, then take them there.

i am still speechless LMAO!!

so you really used cards and stuff to prove your relationship? see this is where DP and I might have a problem. we dont do cards, so we have no xmas/bday or valentines. neither of us like having a photo taken, so we have no photos of us two. so we will have to rely on family offering statements :o

asiatic Jul 10th 2006 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish
so you really used cards and stuff to prove your relationship? see this is where DP and I might have a problem. we dont do cards, so we have no xmas/bday or valentines. neither of us like having a photo taken, so we have no photos of us two. so we will have to rely on family offering statements

Friends of friends of ours knew a nice solicitor, so signing only cost us two bottles of very nice wine. A small price to pay :)
I think you can get other notable people to sign too, eg: justices of the peace
Regarding relationship evidence - photos from parties, engagement, wedding, news years eve. NZIS accepted group shots too, so you don't need just 'couple' photos. We sent in photos from holidays, like whenwe visited Lands End Cornwall. An ideal photo to send in as it contained the date when it was taken :)
We also sent in invitations to weddings, birthday parties, anniversary parties, the list is endless.
Good luck