Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

bloody flippin' flip - House Sale

bloody flippin' flip - House Sale

Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:11 am
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of
Default bloody flippin' flip - House Sale

Aaaaagghhh!! Our house sale has just fallen through, with only a few days until contract exchange... and we were due to fly out next week!

Things were progressing really well on all fronts as well...

Good Things
Employment contracts received, signed and returned
Contract copies forwarded to NZI in London
Allocated an IRD number from New Zealand Inland Revenue
NZ bank accounts opened.
Vehicle compliance certificate granted - so we can ship my wife's car over
Removals company chosen
Wellington schools sorted for the kids
Rental property sorted for our arrival
Flights booked

Bad Things
New Zealand Immigration - our application is still 'being processed' - we lodged our ITA at the beginning of September. Confirmation of job offer details sent to them beginning of January. I was supposed to start work beginning of March, however NZI seem to be moving at more of a sedate pace than I would prefer.

Really Bad Things
Leeds are still bottom of the championship. How can I leave them in such a precarious situation?

Bloody house sale fell through this morning. Contract was due to be signed TOMORROW with contract exchange scheduled for next Wednesday. Apparently the guy was made redundant last Friday, which affected their mortgage offer and they didn't have the funds to cover the delta between their revised mortgage and the purchase price. I know I should have sympathy for their plight... but I just can't bring myself to being that considerate.

Now, this throws a huge dirty spanner in the works. My house has immediately gone back on the market and I am left with a number of options:

1. I leave at the scheduled time anyway, leaving the house sale in the hands of the thieving, cheating, lazy good for nothing real-estate agents and solicitors. Hmmmm... This would get me there for the original start date of 5th March, but obviously we're still awaiting the almighty residency approval.

2. I wait until residency is granted, then leave the house sale in the hands of the thieving, cheating, lazy good for nothing real-estate agents and solicitors.

3. I wait until residency is granted, then go over on my own to start at my job and get acommodation etc, leaving the UK house sale in the hands of my wife (hmmm, Estate Agents v Wifey, lesser of two evils??). Obviously I'd like to avoid my wife and the 4 (yes.. four) kids travelling over on their own, but if needs must...

4. I wait until residency is granted, then wait until we accept an offer on the house then we all come out together letting the rest of the house sale run its course. I'm hoping that we don't think we'll have to wait more than two weeks for another satisfactory offer, but it's the tim it takes to get from offer to completion that's the problem. Especially (as we have found out today) that nothing is guaranteed until contracts and deposits have been progressed!

The removals and flights are all flexible (albeit with a suitably vague 'admin charge') but this could set us back a whole month.

So annoying, we had the kids geared up for the move next week, nicely times with half term and they were due to say their goodbyes (as we all were over the next few days).

Now I now need to contact my prospective employer this evening, in the hope that they can wait a bit longer and they don't decide to look elsewhere... one would hope they're used to this kind of thing and will be extremely flexible... (pleeeease, let it be so...)

Pretty annoyed...!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

caitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nice
Default Re: bloody flippin' flip - House Sale

My heart goes out to you but do not leave your house. i have heard of loads of Brits going to settle in NZ leaving their houses to sell and having to still pay the mortgage on NZD wages - very very stressful adn may be for a long time if house doesn't sell. Why not try another employer to see if another job is the answer.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:09 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

We're in the middle of your option 3 at present but awaiting visa rather than house sale. OH went on work visa to get started in the new job and left me and the kids to finish the move and tottle along over when the PR turns up.

good luck
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:22 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Yoiks!
Really sorry to hear about your dilemma - can't give you any answers I'm afraid but we were in a similar position about 2 years ago and I'm sure one way or another it'll all sort itself out in the fullness of time.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Kerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
Aaaaagghhh!! Our house sale has just fallen through, with only a few days until contract exchange... and we were due to fly out next week!

Things were progressing really well on all fronts as well...

Good Things
Employment contracts received, signed and returned
Contract copies forwarded to NZI in London
Allocated an IRD number from New Zealand Inland Revenue
NZ bank accounts opened.
Vehicle compliance certificate granted - so we can ship my wife's car over
Removals company chosen
Wellington schools sorted for the kids
Rental property sorted for our arrival
Flights booked

Bad Things
New Zealand Immigration - our application is still 'being processed' - we lodged our ITA at the beginning of September. Confirmation of job offer details sent to them beginning of January. I was supposed to start work beginning of March, however NZI seem to be moving at more of a sedate pace than I would prefer.

Really Bad Things
Leeds are still bottom of the championship. How can I leave them in such a precarious situation?

Bloody house sale fell through this morning. Contract was due to be signed TOMORROW with contract exchange scheduled for next Wednesday. Apparently the guy was made redundant last Friday, which affected their mortgage offer and they didn't have the funds to cover the delta between their revised mortgage and the purchase price. I know I should have sympathy for their plight... but I just can't bring myself to being that considerate.

Now, this throws a huge dirty spanner in the works. My house has immediately gone back on the market and I am left with a number of options:

1. I leave at the scheduled time anyway, leaving the house sale in the hands of the thieving, cheating, lazy good for nothing real-estate agents and solicitors. Hmmmm... This would get me there for the original start date of 5th March, but obviously we're still awaiting the almighty residency approval.

2. I wait until residency is granted, then leave the house sale in the hands of the thieving, cheating, lazy good for nothing real-estate agents and solicitors.

3. I wait until residency is granted, then go over on my own to start at my job and get acommodation etc, leaving the UK house sale in the hands of my wife (hmmm, Estate Agents v Wifey, lesser of two evils??). Obviously I'd like to avoid my wife and the 4 (yes.. four) kids travelling over on their own, but if needs must...

4. I wait until residency is granted, then wait until we accept an offer on the house then we all come out together letting the rest of the house sale run its course. I'm hoping that we don't think we'll have to wait more than two weeks for another satisfactory offer, but it's the tim it takes to get from offer to completion that's the problem. Especially (as we have found out today) that nothing is guaranteed until contracts and deposits have been progressed!

The removals and flights are all flexible (albeit with a suitably vague 'admin charge') but this could set us back a whole month.

So annoying, we had the kids geared up for the move next week, nicely times with half term and they were due to say their goodbyes (as we all were over the next few days).

Now I now need to contact my prospective employer this evening, in the hope that they can wait a bit longer and they don't decide to look elsewhere... one would hope they're used to this kind of thing and will be extremely flexible... (pleeeease, let it be so...)

Pretty annoyed...!

I would go for option 2, house will sell in the end but waiting for residence visa is the important thing otherwise could be problems in NZ Immigtation if you book one way ticket. Though option 3 sounds excellent for a few nights out

Shame about Leeds, being a Hammers boy can only laugh at you and than look at ourselves and than laugh a bit louder. No Championship football on telly here though..

Good luck whatever option and see you, eventually, in Wellington
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:03 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by caitlin206
My heart goes out to you but do not leave your house. i have heard of loads of Brits going to settle in NZ leaving their houses to sell and having to still pay the mortgage on NZD wages - very very stressful adn may be for a long time if house doesn't sell. Why not try another employer to see if another job is the answer.
That's exactly what happened to us. Had to come back to the UK because of it.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:19 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

J&D, commiserations.
We're on the "wait to sell" list.
Had residency visa validated last February, had one offer who pulled out, and now just ticking over. Given the choices, I'd say sod it and go, but that's no different to us. At least if you get the visa first, you can get a job when you arrive.
Employers seem to understand our situation. They won't hold the job for you, but if another comes up, if you keep them up to date, maybe you'll be born in mind.
No help I know, but as a Wednesdayite, it ain't my job to cheer you up.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:59 pm

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of

Thanks for your comments and I empathise with everyone that has had similar problems.

However... I think I must have been some kind of saint in a previous life because since the collapse of our house sale earlier this week, things have been incredibly stress free.

I spoke to my prospective employer in NZ and they said "Don't worry, take your time. Getting you all over together is the priority, when it happens is secondary." I couldn't believe the flexibility.

My second concern was that I was due to leave work at the end of next week as that was when my notice ran out and I was worried I was going to have to start eating into my savings (and overdraft) making all the regular payments and living expenses. As I would no longer be at work, I wouldn't be receiving a salary and would be unemployed to all intents and purposes until it was all sorted out.

Spoke to my current employer about this, and they said "Don't worry about that, we'll keep you employed until you need to go. Just give us a couple of weeks notice". Bearing in mind that my contract requests a 3 month notice period, I couldn't believe my luck.

So, new job held, old job still around - just had to find a new house buyer. As luck would have it... we received two offers on the house yesterday and have accepted one of them.

Admittedly the process is right back at the beginning again, but the chain is very short and i am hoping I can push for an early contract, leaving exchange until after we leave if needs be.

But.. goes to show. I was miserable and downbeat just a few days ago - and whilst the original scenario was the ideal one, things look they're going to recover pretty well... apart from Leeds losing again yesterday... completely flaming unreliable.

Last edited by Jules & Danny; Feb 18th 2007 at 2:04 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Good Lordy O'Mighty-was just reading through and compiling my sympathy reply,but that is great news! Over the moon for you. As for Leeds,sympathy there too,if only cos you hate Manc U Scum as much as us bro. Good luck and see you soon. Danny F,LFC
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Jules & Danny,
So sorry about the house, I can relate to that. We were let down the day before signing of contracts, 3 times, before it finally went through. It was a nightmare, we had to keep cancelling removals.
We also felt Immigration was on a go slow, as I had sent in job offer. Their answer was "oops", I don't know why I hadn't contacted you. It pays to phone and pester.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Boopy
We also felt Immigration was on a go slow... It pays to phone and pester.
Is that true... is it worth giving them a call?

I am usually pretty confident in ringing and chasing things up, but for some reason I think if I try and 'speed things up', our residency application might get accidently and mysteriously left at the bottom of their pile...
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:39 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jules & Danny;4421104]Is that true... is it worth giving them a call?

We found the phone was NEVER answered. It was left to be picked up by the machine. But to be fair, anytime we ever emailed our CO, she was always very prompt in returning it. Also, it clarifies your question if you have to write it, rather than (like me!) waffling on the phone.
Karen B
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:43 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=karonious;4421135]
Is that true... is it worth giving them a call?

We found the phone was NEVER answered. It was left to be picked up by the machine. But to be fair, anytime we ever emailed our CO, she was always very prompt in returning it. Also, it clarifies your question if you have to write it, rather than (like me!) waffling on the phone.
Karen B
Don't you just hate waffling on the phone!
I've done lots of that recently and it's my house being built .... so really they should be waffling on the phone to me!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:58 am

Perhaps I wasn't a saint in a previous life... perhaps I was something more sinister. So, just as things were appearing to progress nicely... Our second buyer pulls out!!

What is bloody wrong with people? They come round, they like the house. They come again they make an offer. We accept. They come again with their kids. Their kids choose their bedrooms ect etc - They even make an offer for items around the house...

They contact the agents this morning and advise that they've over extended themselves and can't afford it. Idiots!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Perhaps I wasn't a saint in a previous life... perhaps I was something more sinister. So, just as things were appearing to progress nicely... Our second buyer pulls out!!

What is bloody wrong with people? They come round, they like the house. They come again they make an offer. We accept. They come again with their kids. Their kids choose their bedrooms ect etc - They even make an offer for items around the house...

They contact the agents this morning and advise that they've over extended themselves and can't afford it. Idiots!
Useless bloody time wasters - how annoying! Don't they realise this is your life they are messing with and that house buying isn't just some silly game! GGGGrrrrr!

Last edited by DiffordA; Feb 23rd 2007 at 12:41 pm. Reason: too angry to spell!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.