British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   bloody annoying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bloody-annoying-846652/)

MrsFychan Nov 8th 2014 6:55 am

bloody annoying

useless twots

OK some of you will know my eldest son was in a very serious motor bike accident last year and it was decided I would not go back, being the 12 hr difference it meant he wasn't alone during the night there when everyone had gone home and he was able to skype/FB. Well yesterday he went back in to have his metal plate removed, day patient but fairly out of it til now. so I ask how it went and he says all good but he doesn't know what they did as the nurse that sent them on their way wasn't the nurse that sent him down and the family member (Paternal side) picking him up didn't have the brain cell to ask them to actually find out.

so annoyed but unfortunately not a lot I can do about it - I just have to sit and count to 10 numerous times for the next few hours :banghead:

Snap Shot Nov 8th 2014 7:10 am

Re: bloody annoying

Sorry you are in the position of not knowing. So frustrating for you. Are you waiting until you can phone the hospital to get information ?

MrsFychan Nov 8th 2014 7:19 am

no he is out so they would of moved on.
unless he can work out if its in his notes then its a 2 week wait.
seriously who in their right mind would remove a patient from a hospital without knowing what they had actually done. - oh yeh my bloody ex inlaws.

ellenarosemary Nov 10th 2014 8:39 pm

:banghead::banghead: Arn't in-laws wonderful, my mother-in-law for one, but I won't go there!!!

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2014 8:50 pm

least I can say my EX in laws, if my current inlaws where there for this part of his recovery I would know the Consultants home address :rofl:

Luckily they were there for him when it happened and lucky for him the accident happened down their end of the country and they were able to sort out his daily needs and that of the ex inlaws, just to far for them to help like that again for the on going recovery, but I know they are giving him moral support and if things did go wrong they would be there for him.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 10th 2014 11:47 pm

Families hey?! My F-i-L was taken seriously ill into hospital in September & died last month. Trying to get any info out of OH's family and the hospital was like pulling teeth. Really added to the stress of the situation, so I can understand your feelings Mrs F.

BEVS Nov 11th 2014 12:16 am

The hospital should have been able to give your OH details and info. He needed to ID himself and then provide a password.

That is what OH had to do last August time. He discovered his Mom had been taken into hospital following a blackout and fall when he made one of his usual calls home during the course of a week. No-one had phoned to let him know. The sister deliberately did not as there is a rift of her making there
His 78 yr old uncle , who lives with his sister - Mr BEVS 86 yr old Mom - did not because he was very unsure how to phone to NZ.
Others simply didn't think .

He was able to liaise with hospital staff and social services once they were clear who he was - her son. Had he not gained that conduit , then he would have flown back right there and then, bugger the time and cost. There again we don't have children to think of and his work were very understanding of the situation.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 11th 2014 1:02 am

Yeah I know and we got one helpful nurse but after that we were stone-walled. Wondering if OH's eldest brother (had power of attorney of his father's affairs and the one who verbally attacked me after M-i-L's funeral), made it difficult for the nursing staff to talk to us. Tried to get the consultant's details too with no luck :thumbdown:. Anyway I don't have to have anything to do with his family anymore :thumbup: OH wants to maintain contact with only one of his 5 siblings. So I'm happy with that for his sake.

F-i-L was in Lincoln County Hospital which hasn't got a great reputation. Had dealings with them via relatives and professionally :eek:. They were an utter disaster for my nephew earlier this year after he'd been transferred to there from the QMC, Nottingham with strict instructions for his care. All of which were ignored.

LauraNotts Nov 11th 2014 5:20 am

As a nurse I know how much of a pain in the neck getting info out of hospitals can be. The rules around confidentiality and data protection are so strictly enforced now it can have implications for your registration if you just give out details to people without checking. Easiest for me is if I get a call from someone who understands that and is happy to give me their name and contact details so I can check either with the patient or someone in their contacts before I talk to them or put a call through.

MrsFychan Nov 11th 2014 5:47 am

I must say that the nurses he had during the initial touch and go period straight after the accident where brilliant, his mates that were with him at the accident informed the helicopter crew that I was in NZ and it was passed on down the line. reconfirmed by his mates when they went to the hospital and I had no problem getting information out of the nurses or consultant who stuck to the time to call so I was not left hanging on the line with people looking for him.

Just so annoying that the ex in laws are so useless that they did not insist on knowing what had been done and what to do if there was any problems.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 11th 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by LauraNotts (Post 11467881)
As a nurse I know how much of a pain in the neck getting info out of hospitals can be. The rules around confidentiality and data protection are so strictly enforced now it can have implications for your registration if you just give out details to people without checking. Easiest for me is if I get a call from someone who understands that and is happy to give me their name and contact details so I can check either with the patient or someone in their contacts before I talk to them or put a call through.

I understand that (as a midwife) but when we've given private info to prove who we were and are still unable to get any info then that is extremely upsetting and frustrating. OH's father was confused and we have no relationship with the siblings etc. who were visiting him. Hence our problem.

BEVS Nov 11th 2014 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11467886)
I must say that the nurses he had during the initial touch and go period straight after the accident where brilliant, his mates that were with him at the accident informed the helicopter crew that I was in NZ and it was passed on down the line. reconfirmed by his mates when they went to the hospital and I had no problem getting information out of the nurses or consultant who stuck to the time to call so I was not left hanging on the line with people looking for him.

Same here. MIL has Alzheimers but it was still achievable because they were so helpful . It was a verbal check for the first point of contact and then we moved onto the password thing . I offered to immediately fax over ID for their records. Same for Social Services too.
1 - Birth cert.
2 - NZ drive licence
3 - Photo of them together

If we hadn't been able to gain this from remote then MrBEVS would have flown over .

Just so annoying that the ex in laws are so useless that they did not insist on knowing what had been done and what to do if there was any problems.
Frustrating to the nth degree MrsF. Just keep an eye for possible signs of infection I suppose . Your son will know how he feels. Does he have physio lined up do you think?

I'm a bit surprised that the doctor didn't run through a list with him of do's and don'ts. I've had plates but decades ago - one in the face in fact - but can't remember if there was anything afterward. I think not. The bones had knitted best they could so that was that.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 11th 2014 9:37 pm

Hope your boy is making a good recovery despite the ex out-laws, Mrs F.

MrsFychan Nov 11th 2014 9:55 pm

thanks, he does seem to be coping ok, two weeks off work and then back to the Consultant to see what happens next.