Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Blood Pressure To High

Blood Pressure To High

Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

rubini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blood Pressure To High

We had our meds on Monday. Everything went fine until my blood pressure was taken and needless to say it went skyhigh. To give the Doctor her due she tried very hard to get it to come down but to no evail. Because of this i had to give extra blood samples Fasting Lipids and glucose. This is where the problem arose due to the fact i had eaten toast before setting off from home it meant i had to go back the following day to give the extra blood samples.Due to the fact that i had to fast for 8 hours prior to giving the sample. The moral of the story is if you think your blood pressure might be an issue DONT eat before having your medical and save yourself an extra trip to the clinic. Am now waiting for results with fingers crossed. Hoping to be in NZ very soon. Sean
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all
Default Re: Blood Pressure To High

I would recommend avoiding coffee and tea for 24 hours before your medical too. They tend to send the BP up by as much as 15%!!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:55 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubini
This is where the problem arose due to the fact i had eaten toast before setting off from home

Eating toast gives you high blood pressure? I should have exploded by now...
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

As does 4 bags of RJs soft eating licorice.
Best to sit calmly before the test, maybe take some medication.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:22 am
Banned

RADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really nice

Try taking St Johns Wort tablets for a couple of weeks before the blood pressure test .Mine is high naturally and is usually around 140/90 which is not as perfect as 120/80 but hey what is a really perfect reading ,we all have different rates of metabolism and some things affect different people different ways.Lay off the booze though as that is a big addition to blood pressure readings ,also certain drugs can affect the liver readings that are tested .Dont worry unduly a letter from your own Gp can often help by stating that he is happy with the readings and can see no probs .

As for toast I eat tons of it and fried eggs also
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:48 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulGent
I would recommend avoiding coffee and tea for 24 hours before your medical too. They tend to send the BP up by as much as 15%!!
Holding your arm up in the air immediately prior to having it done will take it down a bit! So will lying down! I can see you now: lying on the couch with your arm in the air as your very understanding consultant takes it again
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulGent
also avoid having your 18 month old in the room wandering around the medical waste bin and trying to plug in various appliances - my normally "low" blood pressure was above normal for the initial test but once MrsL whisked him away into her part of the medical all was welll - although she had to have the fasting lipids being all of 10mm over the limit around the hips (not waist, HIPS)........