blogs and website

Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:59 am
Just Joined

giraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the rough
Default blogs and website

We're only a couple of months away from D-day now and I'm starting to think about how to keep in touch with family and friends when we arrive in nz. I've already got my parents on to Skype so obviously we'll use that but i was wondering if anybody has some suggestions of good websites we can use to upload photos,videos and diary entries. I've come ax loads but can't find any with password protection - I'm a bit anal and don't want every tom and dick seeing my family videos. Does anybody have any ideas?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:07 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: blogs and website

Facebook?
U using mac? Coz there's the Me Galleries

Hope it helps ;o)
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: blogs and website

You can use Google Picasa Web Albums, just upload the photo's / videos you want.

It's free and quite fast and efficient.

You can limit access to the list by not making it available to the public. (You list the people who you wish to have access). They need a GMAIL account, but that's free and it only takes 2 minutes to set one up.

Another option is for you to setup a Blog, and for that, there are tons of sites / places to start.

Take a look at www.wordpress.com or www.blogger.com

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Blogger of course lets you make your blog private to yourself and invited people. You can upload photos and diary entries of course and videos as well but I am not completely sure what format these would be in . . . but it is all pretty easy to set up.

good idea though - it is a great way to keep in touch without worrying about the time difference etc.

peter

Last edited by pangor; Jul 14th 2009 at 9:52 am. Reason: added in the link to blogger
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

some of our friends have used ning.com or similar to set up their own little social networking sites for invited family and friends.. works for them
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giraffe
We're only a couple of months away from D-day now and I'm starting to think about how to keep in touch with family and friends when we arrive in nz. I've already got my parents on to Skype so obviously we'll use that but i was wondering if anybody has some suggestions of good websites we can use to upload photos,videos and diary entries. I've come ax loads but can't find any with password protection - I'm a bit anal and don't want every tom and dick seeing my family videos. Does anybody have any ideas?
I have friends that use www.flickr.com
You can only access the photos if you are invited, they are not seen by everyone. Hope this helps
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of
Smile Re: blogs and website

Hi,
We found it's the older members of the family that don't have internet access, are the ones who miss out. So we use snapfish.co.uk .
We upload our digital camera pictures (which you can share with other 'permitted users') and get the photo prints posted to those family members.
That way, when you phone them you can talk about the photos you've sent and they won't feel 'left-out'.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:20 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I use blogspot (http://www.blogger.com)
You can make it either completely private invitation only, completely public or somewhere in between!
I keep mine like a diary. I stopped it a while back as I thought I was boring everyone and ended up with a lot of emails ( even from strangers!) asking for more, I was gobsmacked, but it made me realise that friends and family, even if they don't comment, actually read it a lot and missed catching up when I stopped.
I don't think I could stop now anyway, as I really like blabbering away.
It's an incredibly simple format, I reckon anyone could follow it.
oh and also it lets you be lazy... I write it then email the link to everyone - that way you only have to write one thing and the whole family see it!

Last edited by pixi-dust; Jul 15th 2009 at 2:23 am.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

giraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the roughgiraffe is a jewel in the rough

thanks everyone for your suggestions - blogger.com here i come