blinkin volcano!

Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blinkin volcano!

so, i travelled with the two rugrats and my mum to the airport today for her flight back … then spent two hours (grr, bloody rush hour) driving back… whilst driving, my phone rang, which i of course ignored… then swung straight into trying to get the rugrats sorted with tea and bed etc etc, and the house phone went… thought i better answer it, and it was my mum in a taxi on her way back up SH1 cos they turned back all uk bound people with all the airports being closed…. no idea when she'll manage to leave now! she has to ring the reservations desk at some point tomorrow to find out when she can get another flight… ho hum

still…. better that it was in Iceland rather than here I guess!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default Re: blinkin volcano!

Yes the UK is in official LOCKDOWN !
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:37 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

It may seem an over-reaction but volcanic clouds were brought right up the scale of aviation concern when a 747 flew through one in 1982 (flying on the London-Auckland route no less), it put the fires out in all 4 engines at 37,000ft, the crew managed to relight the first engine at around 12,000ft - bet that was a truly scary descent! They got 3 of the 4 engines going again and landed...

Needless to say the precautionary principle applies in a big way to aviation near such clouds...

Link here
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
It may seem an over-reaction but volcanic clouds were brought right up the scale of aviation concern when a 747 flew through one in 1982 (flying on the London-Auckland route no less), it put the fires out in all 4 engines at 37,000ft, the crew managed to relight the first engine at around 12,000ft - bet that was a truly scary descent! They got 3 of the 4 engines going again and landed...

Needless to say the precautionary principle applies in a big way to aviation near such clouds...

Link here
This current pyroclastic event in Iceland is huge. It could go on for months apparently and is seen as the biggest disruption to the civil airways since the 2nd world war. The fallout (no pun intended) could be huge. There has been panic in some parts of europe where people ar cramming themselves into trains and ferries to make journies they otherwise would have taken by plane. There are 180k people stranded at Heathrow and airports all over europe are closing as the plume from the volcano spreads. Glad in am not going anywhere near europe until 2012. What say you? Dec 21st 2012 is looming. It begs the question do I REALLY want to be in europe come this day? I would rather be here myself. If something does happen on said day that renders aviation impossible for months I would hate to be stranded in the wrong hemisphere. He is mad I hear you laugh. Yes I think I am. But what if I am not......enter 'Twilight Zone' music. These are strange times we are living in me hearties I can feel something big on the horizon and it's not my tax bill. That will be alarmingly small due to the coffers chez Genesis having taken a mauling. Back on track...is the end nigh? If it is perchance I should lease that gorgeous new Honda Odyssey.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

my friends got away from NZ shores yesterday headed for Glasgow via London and LA........looks like they will not get home as planned and have some delays. What a crap end to the great trip they had

Phyl x
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

well, you know, i'd much rather that she was safe, obviously!!

she's managed to get booked onto the first (currently) available flight - Sunday 25th April!

blimey… what a palaver!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonsi

Link here

Me thinks you have been watching to much 'Aircraft Investigation' speedbird 009 is one of my 9 year old sons favourite episodes.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:51 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

yeah what a pah-lava.........

*I'll get me coat*
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:47 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the missus are here in the UK all ready to fly out tomorrow pm.

Called Qantas - flight not cancelled so all should be fine, will find out for sure tomorrow by midday.

If cancelled, then muchos stress, and lost $$$'s and all sorts of other fall out begins. Not least another week in the UK

After a month here (which has been great) we just want to go hoooooooome. We loves it there
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Me and the missus are here in the UK all ready to fly out tomorrow pm.

Called Qantas - flight not cancelled so all should be fine, will find out for sure tomorrow by midday.

If cancelled, then muchos stress, and lost $$$'s and all sorts of other fall out begins. Not least another week in the UK

After a month here (which has been great) we just want to go hoooooooome. We loves it there
Hope all goes well for the flight tomorrow!! Best of luck. You know the last time this volcano blew it went on for 12 months back in the 1800s?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:54 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Bet Southern Cross are sweating along with a few others.
Not a good situation, ex-colleagues in the UK unable to do their work due to cancelled flights.
A bad situation and best of luck to those who are wanting to fly.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:03 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hope all goes well for the flight tomorrow!! Best of luck. You know the last time this volcano blew it went on for 12 months back in the 1800s?
Erm... you're really not helping mate Nothing to see here, move along...

Best you go back to that room you and Browner have got in the Wanganui thread.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
In the 1700s it blew for 20 years. A geology guy here at the Uni told us all, (with great glee)... it's all to do with how much glacier is above it apparently....
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Erm... you're really not helping mate Nothing to see here, move along...

Best you go back to that room you and Browner have got in the Wanganui thread.
Just updating you with the news. Well you will like this. NZ travel ins cos have assured that all travellers who booked travel insurance prior to this event (ie 16th April) will be covered regarding this event. That is good aye?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Friends are stuck in LA for one possibly 2 nights now! with 3 kids in tow!!!

Phyl x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.