Blenheim

Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Blenheim

Hi There, does anyone out there live in Blenheim? We are hoping to relocate there early next year and wondered what your thoughts on it were. Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:33 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blenheim

It's very beige!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:30 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reylan
Hi There, does anyone out there live in Blenheim? We are hoping to relocate there early next year and wondered what your thoughts on it were. Thanks
Blenheim is OK and gateway to the marlbourough wine region which is fantastic. Some lovely scenery and easy access to Picton and the ferry for short holidays, but have to say (for me) there are much nicer areas on the south island than Blenheim.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:02 pm
Banned

Amiri is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh heck! there's more to life than scenery! the OP may like to hear about the people that live there - are they friendly and welcoming to outsiders? Do you have to bury three grandfathers before you're accepted, will the music stop when you walk in the local pub?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:05 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amiri
Oh heck! there's more to life than scenery! the OP may like to hear about the people that live there - are they friendly and welcoming to outsiders? Do you have to bury three grandfathers before you're accepted, will the music stop when you walk in the local pub?
Sorry havn't lived there, I live in the next city Nelson there was as couple on here who live in Blenheim but sorry cannot remember their name. (kev????). It is hard to judge a place without actually living in the community I'm just basing my opinion on how the city feels to me compared to Nelson but everyone is different
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi have only travelled through Blenheim but some friends live there and love it. Depends on what you want - it is small town but with AMAZING vineyards! One of my happiest holiday moments ever was going wine tasting round the area. Marlborough wines in my humble opinion are amongst the best in the world....so if decent wine is your top priority you can't go wrong

There's a real nice community atmosphere but only a population of around 26,000 (according to Wikipedia). It has a nice small-town atmosphere though, feels like there are less people there. Nice little shopping area in the centre of town and some lovely restuarants too. I also spotted some fabulous looking houses slightly out of town too! I also had one of the nicest Chinese meals there outside of Singapore as well so that gives it another plus!

From memory there is also an airforce base? That's just a slightly random fact for you!

The only massive downside was staying in a b&b run by a British couple who were quite simply some of the most racist and offensive people we have ever come across we could only bear to stay one night and did a runner very early the next morning! We still stayed in Blenheim though in a lovely little cottage just out of town.

I loved the scenery round there too, I thought it was stunning. Good luck with your move
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

My memories of Blenheim from 4 years ago was that it was pretty, friendly but closed from Saturday lunchtime till Monday morning!! Oh and there were lots of boy racers (hoons) in town.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amiri
This is a very valid point, I think Blenheim is the kind of place where you might not ever feel like you are a "local". I also recall someone recently moved from Blenheim to Chch due to work reasons i.e no work at all in Blenheim. (having a vague moment, I think it was Blenheim they moved from)

OP, do you have a job to go to in Blenheim?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dannigirl
This is a very valid point, I think Blenheim is the kind of place where you might not ever feel like you are a "local". I also recall someone recently moved from Blenheim to Chch due to work reasons i.e no work at all in Blenheim. (having a vague moment, I think it was Blenheim they moved from)

Hi Dannigirl, Neither of us have a job at the moment but I have just applied for one and my OH is just about to apply for one nearby. We have friends that live there and they seem to like it there but wanted other peoples perspective on it. Thanks to all - keep 'em coming.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

We moved to Blenheim 9 months ago from Hertfordshire and we love it. Have found people extremely friendly and been made to feel very welcome. We love the small town feel to it but understand this is not everyones cup of tea. My wife works for the DHB and we seem to bump into someone we know everytime we go out

We have even got Bunnings and pak n save coming to town woop woop
There are no traffic lights in Blenheim and very little anti social behaviour.

I live near the Wither Hills which are stunning for walking and biking. I can be on the beach at Whites Bay in 20 mins, and skiing at rainbow in about 1 1/2 hours. Plus the sounds are virtually on our doorstep. The drive 'over the hill' to Nelson is truely beautiful(even nicer when coming home)

Not sure if the OP has kids, but my 3 are thriving here. Have a far better social life than they did back in the UK. Only time i see my eldest two (15 & 13) is when i am operating Dads Taxi Service. Like us they have a mix of British and Kiwi friends.

Although not lived in NZ for very long, at the moment only way i intend to go back to the UK is in a box. This may change over time i know as still on honeymoon period but thats how i feel at the mo.

Yes there are downsides to living here, but for us the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Good luck with wherever you choose to live
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:34 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl

That was me
18 months in Christchurch and still miss Blenheim!! Funnily enough I now work with 3 Kiwis also from Blenheim and we all refer to it as 'home'!!!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by P2L
That was me
18 months in Christchurch and still miss Blenheim!! Funnily enough I now work with 3 Kiwis also from Blenheim and we all refer to it as 'home'!!!
PeeToElle where have you bin?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:07 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
PeeToElle where have you bin?
I'm a working girl these days love!

Back to Blenheim........
If you have a family it is a great place to bring them up, as the OP said the beach is close, so is the river, lots of walking too up on the Withers and skiing at Rainbow in the winter.

Unfortunately the economic situation is affecting the area quite harshly still, and this was the reason we had to leave ( no more work) and we personally know others who have lost their jobs in the past year too.

Despite all that, we would go back in a heart beat, and indeed we regularly do visit and my 16 year old seems to be on a bungy line between here and there! Usually bringing an extra one (or 2) back with her to stay here.

I can put you in touch with some 'locals' if you like and I have an english friend who is a real estate agent in town too , if you need any advice from that point of view

Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:54 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

We have been living in Marlborough for three years now and can offer the following thoughts on Blenheim.

Downside....

As the capital of NZ's wine industry, Blenheim is a embarrassment!

Blenheim is a small provincial city, with a very conservative outlook. The council is dominated by "old school" councillors that have been in that position for over 20 years, the exclusive brethren have a large presence in the city and hold a huge influence over the council's direction (I know as I worked for a EB company). In addition Blenheim is a "lifestyle" destination for kiwi couples retiring, so "Grey Power" rules!

In terms of shopping Brisco's and the Warehouse is as good as it gets, there is a couple of decent cafe's and some OK restaurants in town. Bars....some nice wine bars have popped up, otherwise it's the TAB style pubs and the one nightclub "Goats don't Roam" - the name says it all!

We often go to Nelson, to get a retail fix and it feels like going to another country.

So if you are "city folk" then it's hard to recommend Blenheim as a place to live.

The Upside.......

Whilst Blenheim may not have a lot going for it in itself, the surrounding area is what makes life worth living here!

You have the wineries and vineyards, the Marlborough sounds - fishing, diving, skiing in the Winter.

The wine industry is attracting people from around the world and we have friends from all over Europe and South America.

The pace is life is pretty relaxed, compared to the UK, I have much more time with my partner and kids.

Also things are changing as far as what's going on in Blenheim. We have been to some "underground" events, organised by people fed up of the councils reticence. But change is not going to come overnight.