Reload this Page >

Blackberry Abroad?

Blackberry Abroad?

Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Clair_Hanan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blackberry Abroad?

Hi,

I have a blackberry phone would I be able to use it when i move to NZ or should I sell it here and buy a new one when I get there?

I know I would need to get it unlocked & a new sim but if it would fully work (internet/bbm) then would save me buying a new one!!

Any one have any experience with this?

Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blackberry Abroad?

Originally Posted by Clair_Hanan
Hi,

I have a blackberry phone would I be able to use it when i move to NZ or should I sell it here and buy a new one when I get there?

I know I would need to get it unlocked & a new sim but if it would fully work (internet/bbm) then would save me buying a new one!!

Any one have any experience with this?

Thanks
No experience of this myself, but blackberries are available to buy here so I would ASSUME it would work if unlocked.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Let me give you a word of warning! I had my blackberry 8350 unlocked in the UK and took out a NZ vodafone sim only deal $45 a month - back in Dec 2011. It was nothing but a pain for a few months. Something to do with still being registered on the RIM network in the UK and conflicting with over here. I wasn't able to get emails for a while and had many a heated conversation with Vodafone NZ. It works perfectly now, but was the bane of my life for a while. Smart phones are dearer here and there is less choice.
Make sure you get the phone deregistered with RIM/BB before you leave!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

I brought my Blackberry from the UK. Had it unlocked before I left.

Picked up a SIM (on contract) from a vodafone store here in NZ and short of waiting for a few hours for activation etc everything worked fine.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

I have done the same but for some reason the Apps and Messenger don't work, perhaps what is being spoken about above. Can get the internet though.... strange.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks,

Mark Smith, how did you get RIM connection cancelled/transferred?

Thedtb - thats encouraging! What model do you have? Did BBM/Whatsapp/ internet work ok??

GS.83 - have you spoken to network provider? Can the resolve!

I would £90 to recycle my phone here but if its going to cost me much more to get a new one + contract in NZ I'll just keep what I've got! But if its gonna be months of hassle I'll just sell it!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Ummm, I can't remember what model I came out with, (I've changed since), I'll see if I can find it and check. But yes, everything worked for me just fine.

If your existing BBerry works, bring it. The BBerry I currently have (Bold) cost me circa $800 with a contract! (phones out here aren't subsidised anything like they are in the UK).
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clair_Hanan

I would £90 to recycle my phone here but if its going to cost me much more to get a new one + contract in NZ I'll just keep what I've got! But if its gonna be months of hassle I'll just sell it!

sorry - i can't help it. YES a new phone will cost you much more than that here to get something half decent!

Lets say 90 quid is approximately $180 - you won't get much for that at all. Phones are NOT subsidised over here in any way shape or form that is comparable to the deals you get in the UK.

Buying a phone on contract can get you some level of discount - BUT - unless you take out a high value plan such as $80 + per month you don't get much of a discount. Its quite easy to see it if you have a look at the providers websites here:

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/home
http://www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/mobile/overview/
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/home-phone...FWZNpgodFjG4hg

As a general rule of thumb:
2 degrees is the new boy in town and has the best value (but if you are going to be living outside a major town then not the best for coverage)
Vodafone is the middling contender in terms of value but has better coverage for most (although i took out a contract than had to cancel as could get NO signal at home)
Telecom is the most expensive but has the most coverage.

One of the best ways to get a phone over here without signing up to a contract is to get a parallel import:

http://www.digiparallelimports.co.nz...FYaYpAodzH0-iA

Hopefully this should give you some indication on what the blackberry is worth bringing over.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Mark Smith, how did you get RIM connection cancelled/transferred?
Several emails to T mobile. It works fine now and I'm glad I have it as the same model (which is getting on) is still $350 to purchase outright.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally with O2 in the UK and arrived in New Zealand with a one year old Blackberry 9700 and had it working on Vodafone NZ within a couple of hours.

Signed up for an IPhone and sold the Blackberry via TradeMe for more than I paid for it
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Going to get the phone unlocked on Monday fingers crossed it all works ok!