Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

bit off topic - anyone here had eye laser surgery in UK

bit off topic - anyone here had eye laser surgery in UK

Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Re: bit off topic - anyone here had eye laser surgery in UK

Originally Posted by dreamfish
ok, i have booked a consultation with accuvision in solihull! here goes!!
Ooohh how exciting. Good for you! I do hope you find them to be as helpful as I did. I have to admit at first I found it all quite surreal as it is just a small business unit and you kind of feel like you should be in a hospital or something. But I really can't recommend them enough.

I will have my fingers crossed for you that things work out and you are happy to proceed!

Good Luck!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:14 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Ooohh how exciting. Good for you! I do hope you find them to be as helpful as I did. I have to admit at first I found it all quite surreal as it is just a small business unit and you kind of feel like you should be in a hospital or something. But I really can't recommend them enough.

I will have my fingers crossed for you that things work out and you are happy to proceed!

Good Luck!
heheh thanks - its on 23rd january. might catch train so they can dilate my pupils *nice*. will have two kids with me too *nicer*
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:18 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

heheh thanks - its on 23rd january. might catch train so they can dilate my pupils *nice*. will have two kids with me too *nicer*
OK, chewing lion, good luck! I'll be thinking of you.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Yes and seriously don't forget to take some sun glasses. My eyes were very sensative to the light afterwards. It was like skiing on a sunny day without goggles/glasses on and it was actually grey and miserable!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:20 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and seriously don't forget to take some sun glasses. My eyes were very sensative to the light afterwards. It was like skiing on a sunny day without goggles/glasses on and it was actually grey and miserable!
Eye think that's a good idea.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Eye think that's a good idea.
It had to come sooner or later didn't it!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:28 am
Sweeeeet!

It had to come sooner or later didn't it!
LOL! Couldn't resist!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:30 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

eye eye
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:47 pm
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

hey dreamfish.

I had laser eye surgery 2 years ago and although i have no regrets (the effects are indescribable!, I could see the alarm clock when i woke up at home 3 hours after the surgery!!!!), I did go for a routine eye test a couple of weeks ago and found that I had been left with lots of scarring in one eye due to the surgery. I told the optician that since the surgery night glare from car light had worsened and she said this was absolutly due to the scarring. I am still able to drive at night but dont do it if i can help it. Although after the surgery my eyesight was greater than 20/20 vision it has since deteriorated (not significantly, but enough to make me feel a bit deflated). My advice to you would be to go for it but also bear in mind the potential downfalls and how you would feel if something didnt turn out as you had hope. Im sure you'll make the right choice. BTW its amazing to walk in the rain and actually be able to see where you're going withought having to wipe your glasses every 5 secs

claire
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nearly nurse
hey dreamfish.

I had laser eye surgery 2 years ago and although i have no regrets (the effects are indescribable!, I could see the alarm clock when i woke up at home 3 hours after the surgery!!!!), I did go for a routine eye test a couple of weeks ago and found that I had been left with lots of scarring in one eye due to the surgery. I told the optician that since the surgery night glare from car light had worsened and she said this was absolutly due to the scarring. I am still able to drive at night but dont do it if i can help it. Although after the surgery my eyesight was greater than 20/20 vision it has since deteriorated (not significantly, but enough to make me feel a bit deflated). My advice to you would be to go for it but also bear in mind the potential downfalls and how you would feel if something didnt turn out as you had hope. Im sure you'll make the right choice. BTW its amazing to walk in the rain and actually be able to see where you're going withought having to wipe your glasses every 5 secs

claire
I think the important thing to remember is that the surgery will not stop the natural deterioration in your eyes. For example, if your eyes were -5 and they were going to deteriorate to -6.5 over your lifetime then after the surgery they would deteriorate at the same rate and so you would end up with -1.5 instead. I guess you just have to weigh up whether it is worth it based on this. You can always have the deterioration corrected again and for me it was a case of -1/-2 would always be way better than how my eyes were (-7) and so I took the chance. You just have to make your own decisions on the information that they provide for you!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:39 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the important thing to remember is that the surgery will not stop the natural deterioration in your eyes. For example, if your eyes were -5 and they were going to deteriorate to -6.5 over your lifetime then after the surgery they would deteriorate at the same rate and so you would end up with -1.5 instead. I guess you just have to weigh up whether it is worth it based on this. You can always have the deterioration corrected again and for me it was a case of -1/-2 would always be way better than how my eyes were (-7) and so I took the chance. You just have to make your own decisions on the information that they provide for you!
Mrs Buzzy had epilasek yesterday. She was in extreme agony to the point of being hysterical yesterday, has calmed down a bit today.

She is drugged up to the - dare I say it - eyeballs with ibuprofen, sleeping pills etc.

This is due to the fact that epilasek is very intrusive. She wasn't able to have the less invasive lasik for medical reasons.

She had it done at optimax for £895 for both eyes.

I'll let you know when she recovers whether I can take the labrador back to the shop!

Buzzy
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have only read the heading and not read the posts.

I have had eye laser surgery.
I had a serious RTA when young and have had many operations to an eye.
Not long before we emigrated I was offered eye laser surgery to a permanently damaged eye which had already been given a new lens.
It was an extremely worthwhile procedure and i am glad i agreed to it.
Its not that painful. You get a bit of an ache and following the procedure you are light sensitive. It's a manageable little op.
However, for the clarity it give to the eye , it is well worth it , even though I now need shares in a top quality sun glasses company, living in NZ where the light is harsh..