British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   bit off topic - anyone here had eye laser surgery in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bit-off-topic-anyone-here-had-eye-laser-surgery-uk-417922/)

dreamfish Jan 10th 2007 9:45 am

bit off topic - anyone here had eye laser surgery in UK

(To correct vision short sightedness) who would you recommend going to? I am in Cambs area. One has quoted me £1500 per eye :(

Littletoe Jan 10th 2007 9:55 am

Re: bit off topic - anyone here had eye laser surgery in UK

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4266411)
(To correct vision short sightedness) who would you recommend going to? I am in Cambs area. One has quoted me £1500 per eye :(

I'm pretty nervous about that kind of thing. Did you know if you have eye laser surgery you can't be in the military? Just because there isn't enough known about it. My Nan had it, and her sight in one went blurry, so she has to go back and it get corrected. My brother-in-law had it, and he has a permanent red blob on one of his eyes, but he's a golfer, so his sight hasn't been affected. Anything to do with the eyes is pretty scary!! Just make damn sure its reputable! If you have to pay more for reassurance, do it!! Anyway, good luck!

dreamfish Jan 10th 2007 9:58 am

it would be so nice to not have to wear glasses - contacts make my eyes itch since having children.

Littletoe Jan 10th 2007 10:24 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4266453)
it would be so nice to not have to wear glasses - contacts make my eyes itch since having children.

Yeah, my husband says the same, he struggles in the morning to find his glasses, he's blind as a bat without them, and he's not had any luck finding contacts that don't irritate his eyes. I tell him glasses make him look intelligent and sexy. There's some great ranges out there. At the moment, this is enough to stop him going through surgery! :scared:

dreamfish Jan 10th 2007 11:42 am

i spose we should question why the eye surgeons all wear glasses :D

i keep going through phases - i want, dont want, too scared, i want, cant afford, saved up, want!!

Littletoe Jan 10th 2007 11:56 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4266721)

i keep going through phases - i want, dont want, too scared, i want, cant afford, saved up, want!!

Whenever you post I can't stop staring at that lion chewing! Anyway, glasses are sophisticated and sexy mate! I think save your pennies for a holiday or something. If you're really leaning towards the surgery, why don't you make an appointment for a consultation and put all your concerns to the person? I think some places offer credit as well, so you don't have to pay it all in one chunk. I don't know if that makes a difference to you?

Anyway, let me know what you decide in the end!

dreamfish Jan 10th 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 4266768)
Whenever you post I can't stop staring at that lion chewing!

Not sure about the Hoff - although i did fancy him when i was little. Knight Rider and StreetHawk were my hunnies.

and yes - the Face must win!

DiffordA Jan 10th 2007 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4266411)

Hi There

I had Laser eye treatment back in September. I had the same thoughts as you, went back and forth should I , shouldn't I. Then I just decided to go for it. I was wearing contact lenses before but I found that my eyes got very tired quickly and I found things like flying especially difficult as I felt so vulnerable in glasses as I wasn't used to them all the time but the air conditioning would dry my contacts out loads.

So with our mammoth flight to NZ looming I decided to go for it and I am so glad that I did. It has been fantastic. My vision in both eyes is now better than 20/20 (they were -7 before) and it has been so liberating! It was so simple and pain free too, there was no discomfort either and it took a matter of seconds for each eye.

I must admit that the first few days after were a bit scary as my eyesight was quite blurred and there were moments of panic like what if it never gets right. But after about 5-7 days it was all back to normal and I could see properly for the first time in my life.

The only side effects I have sufeered have been glare from lights at night but even this has improved and it doesn't affect my life at all, I can still drive fine at night time.

I think the best thing you can do is go and speak to a reputable company at a consultation. This website is great for finding out about different places: http://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk/. It is an independant site with persoanl reviews on etc and I found it to be a great help. I used http://www.accuvision.co.uk/ for mine, the Solihull clinic. They also have one in Fulham. They were fab and really put me at ease as soon as I met them. They were just so matter of fact about it all that it made it seem so simple. But they were very good at pointing out the risks without any prompting and I definitely got the impression that they were very honest about suitability etc.

Anyway, i will stop my rambling now. I hope I have been some help to you and if you want to ask me anything else then please do so.

All the best

Amy

jueinnz Jan 11th 2007 1:20 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4266721)

If you are not sure..hows about you give me the money and I get it done instead???:cool:

Am Loolah Jan 11th 2007 10:56 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4266453)

My step mother and step brother both had it done with no problems and excellent results. Think in the London area - I can find out who it was with if you want?

dreamfish Jan 11th 2007 9:38 pm

thanks all for your input - i think i am going to go for it! not just yet though - perhaps in a few months :scared:

Am Loolah Jan 11th 2007 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4272761)
thanks all for your input - i think i am going to go for it! not just yet though - perhaps in a few months :scared:

I was all booked in for consultation for "other" kind of corrective surgery and then had to cancel as they make you sign up for a package that includes keeping certain after care appointments - the last one was 90 days after and we'll be gone by then!! Ho Hum!! Shall just have to take my defects with me!!:scared:

Apple Tree Jan 12th 2007 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 4272881)
I was all booked in for consultation for "other" kind of corrective surgery and then had to cancel as they make you sign up for a package that includes keeping certain after care appointments - the last one was 90 days after and we'll be gone by then!! Ho Hum!! Shall just have to take my defects with me!!:scared:

Hi there! Newbie here!

I have always dreamed about laser surgery yet have always managed to spend my hard earned cash elsewhere (usually at the offie!) I have tried contacts yet cannot bring myself to do the pokie finger in the eye jobbie!

I would love to have it done and live in the hope that a member of my family ie mum will take pity on me and pay for it. I have now emmigrated and live on the North Island. Has anyone had any experiance of eye surgery round Auckland/Waikato/BOP area. eg cost, effectiveness professionalism etc?

Thanking in advance!

chrisvan Jan 12th 2007 9:25 am

Hi

I had eye surgery about 3/4 years ago now - couldn't recommend it enough, never looked back and wish I'd had it done sooner.... Went to Optimax in Water Street Liverpool - even had offers on 'buy one get one free' me , sis and her friend paid 500pds for two eyes done at the same time and never looked back - now have 20/20 vision and have forgotten the fact that I've worn glasses and contact!!! go for it

Chris :)

dreamfish Jan 12th 2007 11:07 am

ok, i have booked a consultation with accuvision in solihull! here goes!!