Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

bit of advise please

bit of advise please

Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bit of advise please

hi, currently going through all the possibilties regarding moving to NZ, we've just had an assessment done and the outcome is my work experience i.e truck driving, heavy plant operating does not qualify me for any sort of perm visa but my wifes quals in youth work, community support etc do put her on the long term skills shortage list, the problem being that apparently there is very few opportunities in this line of work over there so at the mo we're considering the option of me finding a job and applying for a twp which would then give the wife time in NZ to find a job thats suitable for a residency application, whats not clear is, should she not be able to find a suitable role would she be able to take a job doing something else and apply for a twp whilst there in the short term if thing's were tight with money?
we also have a daughter who'll be 19 thats wants to come with us, is this possible on a twp?
thanks
paul.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bit of advise please

Hi Paul

We came out last year as visitors, hubby found a job within a couple of weeks and we were issued with temp work permits. We then gained our PR from this as with the job we had 140 points. I'm not working, I'm studying full-time but I think if you both had jobs on a work permit/visa (permit you get in NZ, visa you get outside NZ) then you would score enough points to gain your residency providing your wife's job is still on the skilled list when you apply.

With regards to your daughter, I think you have to show that they are dependent on you but my eldest is only 11 so he automatically came with us. I'm sure someone who has brought an older child with them will be along shortly to help you with that one

Good Luck

Michelle
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Hi Paul

We came out last year as visitors, hubby found a job within a couple of weeks and we were issued with temp work permits.

Michelle
so were both given a twp based on your fella finding a job?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

We came on a tourist visa - My OH found a job and he got a 2 year work permit and I automatically got one as well even though I had no job it enabled me to look for any kind of work.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulburt
so were both given a twp based on your fella finding a job?
Yes! He applied for his with his job offer, me and the kids got open work permits and student permits
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

many thanx for the replys, finding it very difficult at the mo to get any sort of interest from any potential employers, has the recession hit nz that badly or is posting resume's a waste of time i.e do you need to be there to stand any chance of getting a job?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

The recession is pretty bad here, but there is still plenty of work and as far as I am aware there is plenty of your line of work.

Hang in there, something will come up.

As for your daughter, we brought our 18yr old here and to ensure her PR here we had to show evidence that she was still in education. You could bring your daughter here, but Im not too sure if she could stay unless she enters into some sort of education.

I could try and find out for you, unless someone else knows anything that I dont.

Hope this helps somewhat
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

our daughter is set on doing the training to become a mental health nurse be it here or in nz but as we understand it, it's very expensive for overseas student fees in nz although this is something we've yet to really look into, upto now i've sent something like 20-25 resume's out and not had a single reply, not even a "no thanks your not for us" that may be down to hundreds in the same boat wanting to emmigrate so companies are getting bombarded with applications.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Have you thought about coming over on a re recce and knocking some of these doors. I know the kiwis like that.
You should try Addecco recruitment agency, I know they always look for people with that spec and try the Councils. Not too sure of the correct web address.

As for your daugther, if you get Permanent Residency then she is entitled to apply for student loans and therefor cutting the cost of the education.

Hope this helps