Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A bit of advices please

A bit of advices please

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

ian68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A bit of advices please

What sort of standard of living would a couple with no dependents earning a combined salary of NZD 90-110 have? would be living off the wages only no big nest egg.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:48 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all
Default Re: A bit of advices please

Since the average is a lot less than that I'm thinking pretty good
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:59 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Synky but it would also depend on where and what sort of things you want to achieve with that wage.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Smile Re: A bit of advices please

Hi there, where about would you be living/working.

We have very similar incomes so I could give you a pretty good idea.

As you don't have dependants, you should be fine. Look to pay between $500 & $550 a week on the rent this should allow you to live a bit and put some money aside each month for a rainy day! Obviously, get something cheaper if you can but try not to be tempted to spend more than necessary on rent. Believe me when i tell you the money does not stretch far over these parts!

When you relocating by the way?

All the best
Cheers

Originally Posted by ian68
What sort of standard of living would a couple with no dependents earning a combined salary of NZD 90-110 have? would be living off the wages only no big nest egg.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:10 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Oh dear, we are going to be in trouble then as that's what we are looking at for our whole family! I've done what I think is a decent budget and it seems ok...
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Smile Re: A bit of advices please

Originally Posted by Synky
Oh dear, we are going to be in trouble then as that's what we are looking at for our whole family! I've done what I think is a decent budget and it seems ok...
List the budget then and I'll tell you how close or far out you are... :-)

I did the same before I came out too... had it all planned out nicely in Excel.. and boom!! SHOCKER!! its not that bad.. but, share it it will be good to see.. Where abouts in NZ are you going to be living tho? that makes a big difference...
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:56 am
Just Joined

ad132 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump on the thread .... Philzbub is it cool to send you a message, I am currently in the middle of doing my excel spreadsheet as looking to move to NZ this year (tauranga) and would like to see how far out I am budget wise always good to get different prespectives on things!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

ian68 is an unknown quantity at this point

we where thinking of living somewhere round christchurch but are unsure of the running cost of a 2/3 bedroom house for gas, electric, rates, internet ect we thought about 50% of wages would cover it would we be a long way off
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:57 pm
NZ wannabe

Thanks for offering to look at our figures.

This is what we have so far for a month. We have 3 kids. (4,2,2) and are planning on centralish Christchurch.

$1700 rent
$300 petrol (this is based on our uk cost?)
$600 food (our current uk cost is $400)
$250 utilities (water, electricity)
$200 private health insurance
$200 insurance (car & contents)
$200 entertainment (inc sky. Since we have young kids we don't go out much so this is a zoo trip etc)

Am I right in thinking that there is no council tax if you are renting?

No childcare costs. Are we missing something major? Bank charges?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:49 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I have just moved away from Chch temporarily but I'll list our expenses. We lived in a 3 bedroomed house owned by us, just the two of us, no kids.

Electricity - $90-120 pcm
Water - Not relevant in Chch, no separate water rates or bill
Gas - No piped gas. We had 2x 45kg cylinders to run the oven hob and one gas fire. Cost was approx. $100 per cylinder and $100 per year rental [paid by house owner if a rental property] One cylinder would last 4-6 weeks in winter and 8-9 months in summer. We got through 3-4 per year
Phone and internet - $90-100 pcm
Sky - $60 pcm
Car insurance - $400 per year for each car
House contents - forgotten, sorry!
Petrol - Will vary depending on what you do, $80 every 4-5 weeks for me and $80 per fortnight for him
Rates - $500 per quarter though these are paid by the house owner if you are renting
Food - $100-120 per week

We used to put $500 each into the joint account per month and this covered food, electric, gas, eating out, phone, internet and Sky. This did not cover rent or mortgage. The rest we paid out of our own accounts.

We have just about eliminated bank charges by changing accounts. I used to pay $5/m for a current account and now pay nothing. We do now have to pay to deposit cheques and do certain transactions at the counter but these are so few and far between that it's cheaper to pay as necessary than have these things included in our $5 fee. Pays to shop around and check out various banks and their charges.

Ian, your salary should be enough to live comfortably on depending on your lifestyle and what luxuries you cannot do without. Might be difficult if you can't do without a magnum of champagne, caviar and truffles every night. Have you looked at what your take home pay will be on that wage? You may not have a huge amount to live on but you should be comfortable.
Me and him are also quite 'cold blooded', we don't like a hot environment so never used much heating. gas fire in the living room and that was all we used! Did not use any supplementary heating.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Persephone; Feb 4th 2013 at 7:04 pm. Reason: We do not live on $100 worth of food per month!!!! duh
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: A bit of advices please

Originally Posted by ad132
Sorry to jump on the thread .... Philzbub is it cool to send you a message, I am currently in the middle of doing my excel spreadsheet as looking to move to NZ this year (tauranga) and would like to see how far out I am budget wise always good to get different prespectives on things!
Of course, no problem at all... Cheers
Phil.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: A bit of advices please

Ok, first off, I have to say, I'm on the North Island in Auckland so I can't give you too much guidance there, I think the south island is a bit cheaper living but I'm not sure by how much.

Rent wise, have you looked in to places at this price? is $1700 monthly? if so this is $392.30 a week. If it was here around Auckland, I would be saying you will be hard pushed to find a place big enough for your family at that price if you want a roof on the house! :-/ However, I'm not sure on rental prices out that way so maybe its doable.

Originally Posted by Synky
Thanks for offering to look at our figures.

This is what we have so far for a month. We have 3 kids. (4,2,2) and are planning on centralish Christchurch.

$1700 rent
$300 petrol (this is based on our uk cost?) - You won't be too far out here, just obviously depends on km's driven etc and whether you get a gas guzzler, but remember most cars here are Auto and petrol, so not the most econimical - but a difficult one to gauge.
$600 food (our current uk cost is $400) - We get through $1000 each month on food and sundries, for me, the wife and our two year old. Although we are only now finding ways to save some money on food and the best places to shop. But whatever you spend back home, double that figure at least.
$250 utilities (water, electricity) - Water will be no more than $50 a month tops I would think. Electric can be pricey in the winter months, depending on heating situation. Heat Pumps are the best idea. You will probably need to invest in a Dehumidifier at some point and you will probably also need electric heaters unless you get lucky with heat pump and log burner. Last September/October time I got electric bill of around the $500 mark for one month - so $400 & $500 elec bills are going to be for you colder months. In the summer, around the $150 a month. So save in the summer months and put aside to pay the winter bills.
$200 private health insurance - again this will all depend on cover and policy but I would think for all of you it will cost more than that a month. We have private health through work and I know it cost over $200 each.
$200 insurance (car & contents) - Don't know on this one I'm afraid I'm fortunate to get a company vehicle, someone else may be able to guide you better on this...
$200 entertainment (inc sky. Since we have young kids we don't go out much so this is a zoo trip etc) I pay $190 montly for sky and phone line/Broadband (including HD and movies and Sky+ equivilant) Warning though: Sky is pretty pants here compared to the UK. Again you can shave some off this depending on sky package and whether you want a landline. I bought my cell phones with me, but cell packages are more expensive here than back home too, and 3G is pricey to use here as well. going out to places like the Zoo, etc, they will sting you. Little tip though there is an entertainment book (http://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz) we get over here its about $60, something like that, and it has all kinds of vouchers in there from days out, to eating places, car hire, so many things and with a family of your size you will make that money back within one or two visits to places I assure you. It comes out around July time I think!

Am I right in thinking that there is no council tax if you are renting? There is no council tax when renting.

No childcare costs. Are we missing something major? Bank charges?Banks do try and charge for silly things we have gotton used to back home, like charging $15 to replace my EFTPOS card, just ring them up have a go, and usually they will drop them. (the charges!!)

Hope that helps a bit... Let me know if there is anything else!
Phil.

Last edited by Philzbub; Feb 4th 2013 at 6:37 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lightbulb Re: A bit of advices please

This may help you get a realistic idea of take home pay. http://www.salaries.co.nz/a/salary-tax-calculator/ it is pretty accurate, not to the penny for some reason, but close enough to gauge.

Phil.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:19 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm $392 per week for a three bedroomed place in Chch would be pushing it. There is a shortage and rents are going up, I would increase the amount you are planning on spending just in case, there is a lot of competition for houses. You can get places for that amount or less but they are in the less desirable areas and tend to be older so you may end up spending more on heating anyway.

Our house was 6 years old when we bought it and well insulated, that and us not liking too hot a house meant lower electricity bills for us.
We used one gas fire and that was it, we had a heat pump in another room but never used it so our electricity bills were pretty consistent month to month. Having young children will mean you will need to heat more of the house than we had to, we could cope with no heating in the bedroom-was fine actually!

You will not get a water bill in Chch, this comes under the rates which will be paid by your landlord.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:47 pm
NZ wannabe

I'll have to look at this closer with a spreadsheet but thanks for your inputs. Looks like we can save in a couple of areas and put it on the rent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.