British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Birthdays changing seasons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/birthdays-changing-seasons-403027/)

Maz Oct 19th 2006 3:16 am

Birthdays changing seasons

Me again. :)

For those already in NZ, do you like having your and your family's birthday's switched to the opposite season?

For those looking to move to NZ, are you looking forward to that?

I was a January baby and hubby was born in December. My birthday is often on or near the coldest day of the year, it sucks! For hubby's birthday, it's only ever getting colder. Our daughter was born in October (5 years ago today :) ) and there was a study done in the US that found that babies born in October grow up to be more depressed than people born in any other month. Super... :rolleyes: By contrast, those born in May are the happiest in general. Of course that's for the US, and therefore the northern hemisphere.

If this all works out, daughter will have her birthday in Spring, and hubby and I will celebrate in Summer. MUCH better! :D

Just being curious here. :) :beer:

sky Oct 19th 2006 4:43 am

Re: Birthdays changing seasons

Originally Posted by Maz

For those already in NZ, do you like having your and your family's birthday's switched to the opposite season?

I was a January baby and hubby was born in December. My birthday is often on or near the coldest day of the year, it sucks! For hubby's birthday, it's only ever getting colder. Our daughter was born in October (5 years ago today :) ) and there was a study done in the US that found that babies born in October grow up to be more depressed than people born in any other month. Super... :rolleyes: By contrast, those born in May are the happiest in general. Of course that's for the US, and therefore the northern hemisphere.

If this all works out, daughter will have her birthday in Spring, and hubby and I will celebrate in Summer. MUCH better! :D

Just had my birthday, yup it's nice to have it in the spring heading towards summer as opposed to heading to winter

poppets Oct 19th 2006 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Maz
Me again.

If this all works out, daughter will have her birthday in Spring, and hubby and I will celebrate in Summer. MUCH better!

we are all UK summer birthdays (may - july) & now we're all NZ winter :(
(the may birthday is definatley a very happy person :) )

cottageinthesky Oct 19th 2006 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Maz

My birthday is September - early Autumn in N Hemisphere and early Spring in S Hemisphere ... so not much difference there! Sort of half-way house in terms of seasons - either going or arriving, if you consider summer to be the optimum.

No 1 son has birthday end June, so has had to cope with the transition from mid-summer picnics to mid-winter. On the other hand, No 2 son, with birthday in December, suddenly has barbecue/beach opportunities!

My 10th anniversary of arriving in NZ is this coming December 4th - one of the few things I still have a problem with is thinking of September as Spring and April as Autumn - too many life-long references - especially as many references are european based "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.." was not written about September/October in the Southern Hemisphere!

karonious Oct 19th 2006 7:48 am

My 3rd son is born on my birthday - 14th of August. It will be truly bizarre to think of him celebrating his in the summer and me having mine in the winter when they are on the same day.
But I can deal with that - :(
My daughter will be pleased though as hers is mid November and will now be summer - I have tentatively promised a trampoline but I'm not sure the garden is flat enough for one.

uk+kiwi Oct 19th 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by karonious
I have tentatively promised a trampoline but I'm not sure the garden is flat enough for one.

That make me chuckle! :) Perhaps it was the fact that I could see myself doing the same thing! But what I wondered at the same time is whether or not you are secretly hoping the garden won't be flat enough and know that she is bright enough to notice!!! (and hence will tell you herself that she won't be able to have one!). Have a good day - it is grey and blustery here!

SarahB Oct 19th 2006 8:16 pm

Tell you what is weird.... we go to Clevedon Fireworks and that was strange last year. Normally back in UK in November its really cold in the evening, obviously pitch black... we used to set up a BBQ in a field and drink mulled wine and hot soup. Last year we were at Clevedon and it was still light. Everybody takes fold up chairs and picnic rugs and lots of food. Finally when it gets dark most people seemed to lie back on their rugs on the floor and look up at the fireworks. It was great and we are going again this year. My DS's birthday is Bonfire Night...what a cool birthday he has... I always say he came out with a bang!

I have also been toying with the idea of getting my DS a trampoline. I sold my car at last so have some money to buy him one now. Ive been looking at TradeME and seeing how much they go for. I think I will only get a 10 or 12 footer but it will have safety nets all round as DS is a dinky little chap but gets carried away bouncing. :)

Frenchy Oct 19th 2006 10:29 pm

My daughter will be 15 on Christmas eve, if we can get there in time she is looking forward to a birthday beach party! :)

urbanproject Oct 20th 2006 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Maz

I was a January baby and hubby was born in December. My birthday is often on or near the coldest day of the year, it sucks! For hubby's birthday, it's only ever getting colder. Our daughter was born in October (5 years ago today ) and there was a study done in the US that found that babies born in October grow up to be more depressed than people born in any other month. Super... By contrast, those born in May are the happiest in general. Of course that's for the US, and therefore the northern hemisphere.

Just being curious here.

I'm quite excited actually, my birthday is in November which is usually pretty gloomy in Europe but hopefully it will be nice and warm by then :)

Happy belated birthday to your daughter :cool:

Jen :)