Birkdale, Beach Haven and Birkenhead Living

Birkdale, Beach Haven and Birkenhead Living

Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

MR5B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birkdale, Beach Haven and Birkenhead Living

Hi all,

We wonder if you could help?

We are currently renting a property in the CBD but are really looking to buy a property. Weve been across to Devonport and whilst its very lovely its also very pricey. We have started to look a bit further north in our search for property. We are due to view a couple of houses in Birkdale / Beach haven over the next couple of days but have read very mixed reviews on these areas.

Can anyone provide a 'local' insight into the areas? the school ratings seem to be quite low, does this refelct the standard of living around these neighbourhoods?

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Helen & Chris
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:38 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birkdale, Beach Haven and Birkenhead Living

Originally Posted by MR5B
Hi all,

We wonder if you could help?

We are currently renting a property in the CBD but are really looking to buy a property. Weve been across to Devonport and whilst its very lovely its also very pricey. We have started to look a bit further north in our search for property. We are due to view a couple of houses in Birkdale / Beach haven over the next couple of days but have read very mixed reviews on these areas.

Can anyone provide a 'local' insight into the areas? the school ratings seem to be quite low, does this refelct the standard of living around these neighbourhoods?

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Helen & Chris
Hiya. We live in Bayview which used to be Glenfield before the new postcodes Have a look along Manuka Road - we don't have school going children but I hear that Manuka Primary and Bayview Primary are good schools. If you're looking at houses in Beach Haven look at the seaward side - that's the good side. Birkdale.. it's not very appealing to me. Prices are good but you get what you pay for! You really should have a look around coastal Glenfield. You get a whole lot more for your money - bottom of Manuka Road - I think there's a house for sale down here. There's a boat ramp and lots of houses have sea views, Pemberton and Glendhu and Witheford Heights - all of those. Nice areas and decent prices. It's so close to the beaches and the shops and the CBD - bus service is great. etc.etc.etc. Good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

With prices in other areas still going skyward its a wise move to look around, I know a few people who all think that
Beachhaven will be the next place to take off just as Poncenby did (it used to be a gang riddled place to avoid)
There are some not so desirable places down there so check out the whole area before you decide, In saying that
there are some very nice (expensive) properties down there only one or two streets away from the ropier areas
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

Been here 5 years now, we initially rented on sylvan ave in northcote - perfect location for the motorway and the onepoto domain across the road but had to move on so we found a house on verbena rd, birkdale. It wasnt our ideal choice but we had no problems with the area at all. Zara goes to verrans primary which is a lovely lovely school - not as big as sunnybrae or others in the area but it has a country feel to it. If you look at it on the map its linked by verrans rd, roseberry ave,castleton st,vandeleur, even not far from eskdale rd so it gives you a good scope for purchasing houses that wont be overly expensive.I cant rate the school highly enough - Zara is doing great there......

After many attempts we bought a house at the top of Birkdale Rd - very close to the row of shops (that includes a suit hire shop, wedding shop, cafe, and bar, dairy,hairdressers,chinese and indian takeaways) verrans corner bus terminus across the road (ideal for our homestays)

Beach Haven gets some bad press, sometimes unwarranted. One is correct in saying that there are some streets that we wouldnt want to live on, but there are some lovely houses on rangatira rd and on the coastal side , but this means some prices are higher. That is why we are happy with our spot in Birkdale - we are smack bang in the middle between The "Haven" and birkenhead. 2 nice parks in beach haven - shephards park (home of birkenhead united football club) and Tui Park - both have great stuff for the kids. On the other side, the proximity of New world on mokoia rd, some other shops and then further down you have birkenhead/highbury shops.

If you want anymore info just ket me know. We dealt with Henry Barfoot for our purchase - he's a good guy. Ive noticed a few properties on sale at the mo on verbena and verrans roads.

Have a look on trademe.co.nz for houses in that area. You may have to be patient as we looked at alot of houses in this area (plus glenfield/northcote areas)

Last edited by zaras dad; Jan 5th 2012 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

MR5B is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses and assistance. We are still looking around at the moment and still getting very mixed reviews, even from locals we have spoken to in the area. nice to see that birkenhead has a local footabll team, id alost given up hope of finding 'soccer' on the island.

We have had a look down hinemoa street which seems really nice. Are the surrounding areas backing onto this equally as nice?

Chris
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I've done some work on a couple of houses on Tizard Rd which is close by and the area seemed very nice
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Hi

We have just brought in Birkenhead and it's the best move ever!

With no traffic (so evenings & weekends) only 10 mins to downtown CBD

Great little shops, cafes, restaurants etc in Birkenhead village
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
With prices in other areas still going skyward its a wise move to look around, I know a few people who all think that
Beachhaven will be the next place to take off just as Poncenby did (it used to be a gang riddled place to avoid)
Who told you that nonsense? Gangs of what? Slightly effeminate males?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sr71
Who told you that nonsense? Gangs of what? Slightly effeminate males?
Close friends who's families have lived and worked in Auckland for generations and know far more about the place,
its demographics and history than you or I do. It was only a few months ago that Black power lost their place in Poncenby.
Don't be silly and think its always been full of metrosexuals. Do some research and look back 20 years the area was
nothing like it is now.
If you really want to know something ask a local not an immigrant
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Close friends who's families have lived and worked in Auckland for generations and know far more about the place,
its demographics and history than you or I do. It was only a few months ago that Black power lost their place in Poncenby.
Don't be silly and think its always been full of metrosexuals. Do some research and look back 20 years the area was
nothing like it is now.
If you really want to know something ask a local not an immigrant
Gentrification has been going on in Ponsonby for 40 years, and it's certainly been a focal point for the gay community to live in for a few decades (who generally do not live in gang-riddled neighbourhoods). It's never been a place to avoid more than any other areas. The thing about gangs like Black Power is that they tend to only fight with other gangs or cause problem for people that cause problems for them. They don't roam the streets attacking the average person.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:25 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Gentrification has been going on in Ponsonby for 40 years, and it's certainly been a focal point for the gay community to live in for a few decades (who generally do not live in gang-riddled neighbourhoods). It's never been a place to avoid more than any other areas. The thing about gangs like Black Power is that they tend to only fight with other gangs or cause problem for people that cause problems for them. They don't roam the streets attacking the average person.
Ponsonby was the Otara of its day and that's what the locals will tell you. I have a friend whose mother grew up there and when the grandparents died they sold the house because it was such a bad area - they're kicking themselves now of course but the gentrification has been going on for more like 20-25 years, not 40. Five years ago it was hard to sell a house in the bottom part (I think it's the bottom) of John Street = less desirable area. I work in real estate and that's one of the areas our office deals with so I do know its history.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Bonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really niceBonesyhead is just really nice

Originally Posted by Batty
Ponsonby was the Otara of its day and that's what the locals will tell you. I have a friend whose mother grew up there and when the grandparents died they sold the house because it was such a bad area - they're kicking themselves now of course but the gentrification has been going on for more like 20-25 years, not 40. Five years ago it was hard to sell a house in the bottom part (I think it's the bottom) of John Street = less desirable area. I work in real estate and that's one of the areas our office deals with so I do know its history.
I don't think the history of ponsonby really matters to an immigrant, they're buying a house now, not 40 years ago.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was simply responding to sr71's rather dismissive comment and pointing out that Poncenby hasn't always been the yuppie ghettos it is now.
It was also in response to the original question about Beach haven. When the Yuppie wannabees realise they cant afford Poncenby they will
look elsewhere and Beach haven is tipped as a suburb ripe for change. All relevant information for the immigrant / prospective buyer

watch the current TVNZ7 series Highlights for information on Poncenby and its changing population
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Mizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Hiya. We live in Bayview which used to be Glenfield before the new postcodes Have a look along Manuka Road - we don't have school going children but I hear that Manuka Primary and Bayview Primary are good schools. If you're looking at houses in Beach Haven look at the seaward side - that's the good side. Birkdale.. it's not very appealing to me. Prices are good but you get what you pay for! You really should have a look around coastal Glenfield. You get a whole lot more for your money - bottom of Manuka Road - I think there's a house for sale down here. There's a boat ramp and lots of houses have sea views, Pemberton and Glendhu and Witheford Heights - all of those. Nice areas and decent prices. It's so close to the beaches and the shops and the CBD - bus service is great. etc.etc.etc. Good luck!
Hi there, just wondering which beaches the places you recommended are near to, are there beaches on the inland coast part or would you have to go to the sea coast? Im just starting to research the area and this thread was the first useful one ive found
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

best thing is to just look on google earth or maps. you can get a satelite and street view of the areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.